Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to the 99-00 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the 99-00 Civic Si

I just recently sold my 2005 Dodge SRT-4 with 35,000 miles 250whp and 290wtq, progress springs, maddog 72% short throw shifter (entire assembly), Bwoody upper and lower motor mounts, agp waste gate actuator, 3" cti side exit exhaust and 20% window tint. The car handled well, had the power to take a lightly modded EVO/STi from anything but a dig and has a stock quaife LSD.

I was looking in to spending $8-10,000 on a 50-60,000 mile 99-00 Civic Si and had some questions...

What will I put down for WHP with an intake/race header/catless exhaust?

What will I be able to hit for track times at the drag strip with those bolt ons?

How well will this car do at the road course with springs, sway bars and strut bars?

Is Hondata available for the Civic Si? and how much will it affect the hp or the car by it self or with I/RH/E? WHP numbers? Track times?

I thought about going turbo with the Si but I wondered what I will be looking at for total investment on a tuned basic, safe and reliable turbo kit on a Si with the neccessary supporting mods, how well it will do at a road course with NO LSD, and how much of an issue traction will be with no LSD at the drag strip, and what I could count on for track times.

How reliable are these cars under hard driving? What are there weak points? Are the transmissions, motors, clutches and other expensive components up to the task of handling 200-250whp, the drag strip and road courses as well as daily driving? These would be on occassion. I am under the impression that Integras, Preludes and Civics can take the hard driving without a hickup but I could be wrong.

What are the pros and cons of this car, I am comming from a car that was running low 13's but now I am on a budget other wise I would be in an EVO/STi/Legacy GT or something else. I don't want a Type S because it's too expensive for what I want to accomplish. I want a fun car I can drive the **** out of (within reason, mixed as a daily drive but be able to take to the drag strip, put down good numbers, the road course maybe) and not have to always worry about OH crap what did I break, am I running my motor into the ground. I want low 14's to high 13's and may not boost the car if it's very acheivable on motor, but how easy is it to get high 13's, low 14's consistantly on just motor, what would it take on street tires? I dont have a ton of cash, and it'd be a good amount of time before I went turbo if at all.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: New to the 99-00 Civic Si (RichEd223)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RichEd223 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1.What will I put down for WHP with an intake/race header/catless exhaust?

2.What will I be able to hit for track times at the drag strip with those bolt ons?

3.How well will this car do at the road course with springs, sway bars and strut bars?

4.I thought about going turbo with the Si but I wondered what I will be looking at for total investment on a tuned basic, safe and reliable turbo kit on a Si with the neccessary supporting mods, how well it will do at a road course with NO LSD, and how much of an issue traction will be with no LSD at the drag strip, and what I could count on for track times.

How reliable are these cars under hard driving? What are there weak points? Are the transmissions, motors, clutches and other expensive components up to the task of handling 200-250whp, the drag strip and road courses as well as daily driving? These would be on occassion. I am under the impression that Integras, Preludes and Civics can take the hard driving without a hickup but I could be wrong.

5. I want low 14's to high 13's and may not boost the car if it's very acheivable on motor, but how easy is it to get high 13's, low 14's consistantly on just motor, what would it take on street tires? I dont have a ton of cash, and it'd be a good amount of time before I went turbo if at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. it depends on what you choose to go with. .

2. not 13's haha

3. well, what kind of springs and other parts we talkin about. . if you use **** you'll get **** outta it.. use some good suspension parts and the car will handle like a beast. .

4. it will all vary depending on what you use and how well everything is tuned.

5. repeat answer to #4

use the search and do some homework.. thats the best advice i can give you

and cash flow will def. help
Old 03-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm a Jackass

with those mods prolly around 145whp

Old 03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

170k+ miles w/ intake and exhaust i hit 146whp.

why did you get rid of the srt4? don't get me wrong i love my SI but the srt4 is so nice(performance wise)
Old 03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (bsixteen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsixteen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">170k+ miles w/ intake and exhaust i hit 146whp.

why did you get rid of the srt4? don't get me wrong i love my SI but the srt4 is so nice(performance wise)</TD></TR></TABLE>

cause at the end of the day its still a neon
Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Ok don't get into the at the end of the day it's still a neon crap I didn't say anything about civics. That JUST a neon makes 230whp and 250wtq stock, has a stock quaife lsd wich would cost $1300 bucks in the aftermarket and makes 250whp and 300wtq with $750 bucks in mods and oh yeah it's $20,000 new. Nothing til this day can match that. I sold the car because I essentially wanted an EVO/Legacy GT... I bought the accord because it was cheap and I needed to catch up on bills and more and more I see myself NOT spending $20+ thousand dollars on an EVO. I need to prioritize
Old 03-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why did u sell it?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm a Jackass

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RichEd223 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok don't get into the at the end of the day it's still a neon crap I didn't say anything about civics. That JUST a neon makes 230whp and 250wtq stock, has a stock quaife lsd wich would cost $1300 bucks in the aftermarket and makes 250whp and 300wtq with $750 bucks in mods and oh yeah it's $20,000 new. Nothing til this day can match that. I sold the car because I essentially wanted an EVO/Legacy GT... I bought the accord because it was cheap and I needed to catch up on bills and more and more I see myself NOT spending $20+ thousand dollars on an EVO. I need to prioritize</TD></TR></TABLE>

at the end of the day you spent 20grannd on a neon.. with 250hp.. where i could buy a 6g civic.. and with the 14g left over.. could build a car that would completely destroy that srt..... so dont give me that bullshit
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the 99-00 Civic Si (Takymoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Takymoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

at the end of the day you spent 20grannd on a neon.. with 250hp.. where i could buy a 6g civic.. and with the 14g left over.. could build a car that would completely destroy that srt..... so dont give me that bullshit </TD></TR></TABLE>
hahahahahahaha
Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the 99-00 Civic Si (DEL HATCH)

I would just do suspension work. Go with koni yellow shocks and ground control combo. Also, and asr brace and an itr rear sway bar and a nice front are rear strut bar. Then learn to drive it and go autox.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Takymoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Takymoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cause at the end of the day its still a neon </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're a huge douchebag and I'm going to see what I can do about getting you banned.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Takymoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> at the end of the day you spent 20grannd on a neon.. with 250hp.. where i could buy a 6g civic.. and with the 14g left over.. could build a car that would completely destroy that srt..... so dont give me that bullshit </TD></TR></TABLE>

At the end of the day, he has air conditioning, power steering, a factory warranty and four-doors of "just-ripped-most-higher-priced-cars-a-new-*******". There's a reason why guys with money drive Ferraris instead of "EG" Civics, clown: because EG Civics are pieces of **** that lucked out in the engine-interchangability catagory. The interiors suck. The stock suspension sucks. The stock motors suck. Most of the SWAPPED motors suck. Even if you spend $6000 on a turbocharged B18C1, you're running high-12's on street tires (if that) and you're still driving a piece of ****.

New car that holds four comfortably and runs 13's &gt; 15 year old car that makes my eyes bleed when I look at it.

Get the **** off my website.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're a huge douchebag and I'm going to see what I can do about getting you banned.

At the end of the day, he has air conditioning, power steering, a factory warranty and four-doors of "just-ripped-most-higher-priced-cars-a-new-*******". There's a reason why guys with money drive Ferraris instead of "EG" Civics, clown: because EG Civics are pieces of **** that lucked out in the engine-interchangability catagory. The interiors suck. The stock suspension sucks. The stock motors suck. Most of the SWAPPED motors suck. Even if you spend $6000 on a turbocharged B18C1, you're running high-12's on street tires (if that) and you're still driving a piece of ****.

New car that holds four comfortably and runs 13's &gt; 15 year old car that makes my eyes bleed when I look at it.

Get the **** off my website.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course you went bias and compared the SRT to a **** bucket like an EG. Why don't you compare it to a DC2 or an EM1? EM1 cost 17 K brand new with decent gas milage, looks much better than SRT, has a 1.6 ******* Liter that push 160 HPs. Type R are are ******* pushing about 200 for a 1.8 liter that will eat a SRT-4 alive at Auto-X.

If you're going to compare, compare the right things. Don't compare apple to orange. For the price of an EM1 / GSR/ Type R its doing a hella lot better than SRT.

Oh, lets not forget. My 18 years old JDM B16 is still running strong. Lets see how long that SRT last.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get the **** off my website.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm... honda reliablilty,, dodge.. reliability...... yeah.. ill stick with the honda
and.. i guess you can't have A/c powersteering and turbo anymore/? wow thats new to me

See and you say eg's are pieces of ****,, and I say srt's are... You want to ban me because i ripped up the srt.. then you rip apart the eg.. hmm... can you say HIPPOCRATE
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bsixteen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsixteen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">170k+ miles w/ intake and exhaust i hit 146whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome. my 99 si has 196k and feels like it did when it was new. anyone wanna buy it?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Em1crew.com, Check it out.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:24 AM
New User

Nice reliable car to work with. Maybe get a nice suspension kit to start off easy. Make sure you maintain it well before boosting it up!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

srt4's are cute... eg's look hot when modded right. srt4's are new and look nice but they won't last long at all. u can drop a turbo on a b18c1 in an eg and with the right tuning it'll last u years. and you'll still be beating srt4's all day. and did we forget it costs a lot less. but then em1's.... they're way sexier than an srt4. at least the electron blue ones are.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 AM

Default Re: (perseverance)

You say SRT-4's won't last long at all? There are many on SRTforums with 125-150k on a big turbo set up, anything from GT30R to 50 trims, 60 trims with no problems, there is a reason why they can make 500+whp with stock internals, and the transmission can take it too with no support but what came from the factory. You say oh it's a dodge, well I'm sorry alot of cars can last when there not making alot of HP or torque. Your comparing a civic si which makes less then 150whp stock and about 100ft lbs to a car that makes almost triple the numbers in torque, and almost double the HP in STOCK form. You take a car that makes a third of the power with bolt ons, and claim its SO much more reliable? It's like comparing a virgin to a hooker, who do you think will be blown out first hahah.

400-500whp Turbo Civic vs. 400-500whp SRT-4. Now compare reliability...

not this bolt on 175whp 120ft lbs civic SI to a car that makes 300whp and 390-400ft lbs with bolt ons. I know because I owned an SRT-4 and drove the **** out of it for 35,000 miles without a hickup, I was making 300+ whp and 400tq when I was finished, and I know a friend who has 127,000 miles on his 2003 50 Trim making 450whp, not one problem besides his wallet shrinking, you can't compare an NA motor to a turbo motor and rant about reliability you just can't. The car is being asked to handle twice as much, plus you can cry about DODGE vs Honda reliability but I don't see anyone bitching that there are few high mileage EVO's or STi's? It is very easy to set up an SRT-4 to tool on EVO's and STis at a road course, or at the drag strip. And yes the road course, the SRT with a mediocre suspension set up will run EVO's and STi's I have seen it happen all the time.

Another thing you can't say is OH $20,000 dollars right? You buy a $2,000 hatch and dump $18,000 into it and NOW see what the SRT-4 does muahahah. PFF, WRONGGG! Who buys a car like that without financing, sorry but it is VERY rare that someone has $20,000 cash lying around and if he does hes not going to buy an SRT-4 it's going to be a down payment on something huge, a house or an M3 or something. I love how people say well if I put $20,000 into THIS then it would do THIS or that. PFF BUT YOU DON'T HAVE $20,000 TO PUT INTO YOUR CAR AND NEITHER DID THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE SRT-4 HE PROBOBLY HAD $2-3,000 AND FINANCED $18,000! I'm sorry but buck for buck even compared new, it's not even a challenge

-$20,000 for 230whp/250wtq, quaife lsd, mcpherson suspension, bfg G-force TA KDWs and runs a high 13 second 1/4 mile out of the box with a good driver. Oh yeah and with $750 bucks you can run a low 13 second quarter miles, an AGP Waste Gate set at 18psi and a 3" Catless Turbo Back. Total investment new $20,750 and your making 255whp/300wtq

-$17,000 for 135-140whp/110-120wtq, no LSD, a suspension set up that doesnt even get noticed, genaric rubber, a 15.5 second quarter mile time and $5000 dollars later after a turbo kit with supporting mods you have 225-250whp at best with 150wtq and a high 13 second quarter mile OH and your suspension still is weak, you have NO LSD. get one, add $1000 bucks. Total investment $24,000 and you still can't match the performance. Still a neon or not.

A neon is the bottom of the line Dodge model made for the person searching for fuel economy, efficiency bla bla bla, same damn idea when they made the civic so don't go ranting about it's still a NeON when yours is the same concept, different brand. It's like comparing BEER. Natural Light is SO cheap, or Bud light... it still gets ya drunk right?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (RichEd223)

go home noob or to neon-tech.com
Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Takymoto)

Didn't SRT-4's come out in 04? who's put 140k miles on them already? And apparently according to you, LOTS of srt's with over 100k (ten years) of driving on them.

I smell BS.

Welcome to H-T. You're most cost effective way to run 13's is definately going to be boost. N/A is for showoff's with lots of money/time in my opinion.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

i lie this thread. its funny. honestly dont see why poeple dont just give in and accept that hondas are awesome hands down.

look at my self, i was brainwashed by the vr6!! LMAO
Old 03-10-2007, 02:33 AM

y u saying EG's are piece of ****...??? i smell haters n here...plus this isnt a Dodge SRT-4 website...but yeah i put money that you cant take my EG with a stock k20a motor...
Old 03-10-2007, 04:41 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RichEd223 is right about the SRT 4. I've read some very detailed articles on it's engine and transmission and they're virtually bulletproof from the factory. Domestics DO know how to build engines every bit as reliable or more than import manufacturers, they just don't do it very often on production vehicles because of cost. They tend to compensate for technology (cost) with displacement (low cost) and in this case a turbo added for extra power; that's the typical domestic philosophy vs Japanese philosophy. Where quality becomes questionable is in the body structures of the two cars, typically the domestic cars will have more squeaks and rattles, electrical troubles and over all fit and finish issues over the long haul than the Imports do.

It's always been my opinion that the SRT 4 was the best all round deal for the dollar when it comes to practicality, power and overall capability for the money spent. I'm actually surprised that you sold the car since in my mind, it would have been more economical to keep vs buying an Em1 civic and trying to upgrade it to SRT 4 performance levels. It's the second fastest car Dodge makes next to the Viper and that's impressive for any car even if it is considered to be a "Neon".

All cars are the same no matter how little cash you pay for them initially. You'll always be in pursuit of more power, better handling and looks/style and therefore always forking out more money...
Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (k20inMyEgBitches)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k20inMyEgBitches &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">y u saying EG's are piece of ****...??? i smell haters n here...plus this isnt a Dodge SRT-4 website...but yeah i put money that you cant take my EG with a stock k20a motor...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who the HELL cares? I'm pretty sure the guy didn't come in here to measure ***** size and sword fight with you homos. He is asking about getting a Civic SI and what kind of power/times/etc he can expect from one. YOU GUYS started the whole SRT-4's are crap debate and look where this wound up? You guys are so damn immature when it comes to things like this. Can't handle for one second that something out there might be quicker then your freaking shitbucket EG/EK/DA/DC/blah. Get over it. You are not, and never will be, the fastest thing out there. Period. Drive what makes you happy and forget what others think!

Yes, I called them shitbuckets and yes I have two of them in the driveway. OH MY GOD, I must be a hater, right!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Who the HELL cares? I'm pretty sure the guy didn't come in here to measure ***** size and sword fight with you homos. He is asking about getting a Civic SI and what kind of power/times/etc he can expect from one. YOU GUYS started the whole SRT-4's are crap debate and look where this wound up? You guys are so damn immature when it comes to things like this. Can't handle for one second that something out there might be quicker then your freaking shitbucket EG/EK/DA/DC/blah. Get over it. You are not, and never will be, the fastest thing out there. Period. Drive what makes you happy and forget what others think!

Yes, I called them shitbuckets and yes I have two of them in the driveway. OH MY GOD, I must be a hater, right! </TD></TR></TABLE>

No he got butt hurt when i said that its just a neon........ and then he had to go explain and reason out that neons are gods..... soo yea.. he brought it upon himself.........