Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New 00 Civic DX Hatch - questions about mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 00 Civic DX Hatch - questions about mods

Hello, I am sure everyone probably does this... I am new to Honda's. I recently purchased a 2000 Honda Civic DX Hatch Back. The car is not an SI or Type R, it has the D16y7 engine and is bone stock. I usually drive a Trans Am, but due to gas prices that's going to be more of a weekend driver. I bought the Honda due to how awesome the mileage was, and its upgrade possibilities.

1. Id like to do a few simple but descent modifications besides the traditional exhaust and cold air intake. What are some good ones and I'm on a low budget like most people now a days.

2. I was also wondering where the best place was to get parts and such.

3. The car is a 5 speed but does not have a tach, would any modification be needed to insert a cluster with a tach from another Civic of that generation?

4. I have intentions of possibly putting a rally light bar on the front by attaching it to the tow mounts in the front and the main support bar going across above the radiator. Has anyone else made one?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Car questions

Somebody will blast you for asking these things without "Searching", but I will give you some answers.

1. This is coming from experience, the D16y7 engine is a great engine for economical driving...that is about it without tearing into it, building it up and putting a turbo on it. So I would recommend leaving that alone.

If anything, suspension, brakes, and wheels may be better places to make improvements.

2. There are a lot of places to get parts....craigslist, classifieds, performance shops, internet. Some places to check out are passwordJDM, Vexmotorsports, and WekSos.
Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com) is a great place to get OEM parts.

3. This is totally possible, and from what I believe, is a plug and play deal. You will need to do the research on this one.

4. I have not heard nor really seen anyone put a rally light bar on a hatchback...or any Honda car for that matter. Most people just put JDM replica fog lights in the front bumper with 3k HID lights, blind everybody with them, and call it a day.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ lol, i can say that i didn't blast him for searching, you just posted a lil bit before I did
Yeah, it seems like a lot of people immediately ask what mods they can do to their cars... Look up some DIYs for mods- the FAQ sticky has a ton of stuff to do if you read through it. To find parts, it depends on what you're talking about. Look on craigslist, go to a local auto parts store, order them online... it's not hard. Your other two questions I can't answer, but I know that if you search for them you can probably find them pretty easily... i'd personally recommend using google with honda-tech in the search, as opposed to using the forum's search function. For the most part, you can look up just about everything to answer your questions- Also, i'd start with the "building a dream car 101" sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1-Nothing.
2-Ebay, if you know what you're looking for. The Marketplace right here on H-T. Plenty of used and sponsored items to be had. Plenty out there. Search.
3-Swap in a cluster with a tach. Why? It's slow as anything. You'll just have one more way of seeing it.
4-Do what you like. IMO it would look like ****. Do it and you can claim to have been the first.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

What is the point of doing those things? Do you have a goal? If you want good mileage leave it alone.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) like others mentioned This motor doesn't respond well to bolt ons, Save your money and put that into handling and brakes. A motor swap would be your best bet if you want more power, or build it for boost.

2) Rock auto is a good reference. Ebay, Amazon work too if you know what you are looking for. Check this for for safe brands for more critical components https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-your-guide-buying-quality-aftermarket-maintenance-parts-your-civic-3114911/

3) Yes you can swap out a 96-00 Cluster, it is very easy to swap, just keep in mind your mileage is going to be off. Check your local wrecker or craigslist.

4)never heard of that, let us know how that goes!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New 00 Civic DX Hatch - questions about mods

If i were you i'd start in this order:

1. No stickers
2. Brakes
3. Suspension
4. Tires/wheels
5. Swap
6. Cosmetic mods

Thats of course after the preventive maintenance, like oil changes and all other fluids.
Im just throwing guesses out there though, im guessing u wanna be jdm as ****. Lol
But whats your goal really?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

it's a waste of money to put bolt ons on a D series.

look into adding sway bars front/rear.

Yes you can, no modification needed, it's a bolt in affair. I recommend swapping the original speedo into the new cluster to keep the correct mileage.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VSnakeByteV
I recently purchased a 2000 Honda Civic DX Hatch Back. The car is not an SI or Type R
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VSnakeByteV

1. Id like to do a few simple but descent modifications besides the traditional exhaust and cold air intake. What are some good ones and I'm on a low budget like most people now a days.
I've got a Y7 block i've been building as well. Most people will tell you to go with a B-series, which is great if you've got the money. I stuck with the D stuff because the engines are cheap, and you can find parts for them in any salvage yard. (where i'm at i've NEVER seen a B-series in a junkyard) But as far as noticeable modifications go, you could look at getting a D16Y8 cylinder head. You could do a little porting on it, upgrade the cam/valvetrain if you wanted and then swap the head one day. Plus you would have Vtec
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^^Mini-me swaps are a complete waste of money and time. After all is said and done you won't be happy with the measly results you get.