Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

neutral handling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral handling?

what are the advantages of neutral handling?....i was told one way to achieve this was by having your front and rear sway bar the same size...correct me if im wrong...are there any advantages to neutral handling?....i've been looking into anti-roll bar and sway bar kits (eibach, progress, st, neuspeed) and all there kits , the front bar is larger than the rear in diameter...why is that?...give me some enlightenment.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: neutral handling? (95 EJ)

i was told that having a large bar in the back and stock DX in front makes it handle good...this is comming from a GT4 class driver...so i'm taking his word for it.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think that the front is larger cuz the of the weight...but, i would prefer a larger one in the back to keep it from coming around in tight turns
Old 01-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neutral handling? (deepnite)

I autocross a 93 Civic Coupe DX with the SCCA on both a local and National / Pro level so trust me here OK?

The reason all companies build a car to understeer is for safety and liability issues. Even the Dodge Viper GTS understeers upon corner entry (I know because I've instructed the autocross component at Viper schools) in order to keep a novice driver from killing himself in the event of going too fast. You see, understeer is easier to control.

As for the Civic, a rear bar is all that I run. I used to use front and rear bars (Eibach 25mm F/ 17.5mm R) back when I was less experienced, but now all I run is an ITR rear bar (22mm) with Beaks' reinforcement kit. The car is more neutral as the front wheels are totally independent of one another (due to no front bar) and I can control the cars handling even further because I use adjustable shocks (Koni Sports).

Now if you just street race, well do whatever you want because I have no respect for people who break the law and give real racers like myself a bad name in the publics eye... BUT if you plan on getting into sanctioned race events like autocrossing, feel free to ask anything.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 01-11-2002, 06:40 PM

Default Re: neutral handling? (95CivicSi)

i was told that having a large bar in the back and stock DX in front makes it handle good...this is comming from a GT4 class driver...so i'm taking his word for it.
Yeah adding on at least a 19mm rear bar to a DX (w/o front bar) will give you a more neutral handling Civic you'll still have some understeer but if you tweek your tire pressure, higher in the front and lower in the rear you can add more toward the oversteer side.

BUT just don't slap on a bar bigger then 20mm on any Civic with out a Reinforcement Plate or you'll rip your subframe apart. Many think the ITRs sway bar (25mm approx) is the greatest but they forget the ITR has a beefier subframe to handle it. So get a 19mm bar and be safe and happy till you need something bigger for racing or Auto-Xing.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neutral handling? (Civic242)

advantages ....
so your car wont understeer .... or oversteer ...
understeer = lose time on a track or autocross ...
oversteer = dangerous unles you can control it ...
nertual handling means the car follow your inputs to the steering percisly ..
advantges of that is you can choose your line into and out a corner or curve better and have better control where the car is going.

since most cars .. 99% out there have understeer build into the suspension components .. like mention before for safety reasons ... understeer is easier on novice then oversteer ...

having a a rear roll bar limited the suspenion movements to counteract the understeer ...
having harder spring rate in the rear might do the same thing ..
Old 01-12-2002, 07:42 AM

Default Re: neutral handling? (BAR-F1)

thanks bar...that's the answer i was looking for....

btw...you think the BAR team is gonna win any races this year?
Old 01-12-2002, 07:51 AM

how big is the SiR sway bar