Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Timing Belt Help, did search! -- this is a new one

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Timing Belt Help, did search! -- this is a new one

Background:
Just bought a 98 civic with 62k miles (stock) from the original owner, the car made a whining sound that came from the T-belt. I checked the maintence history on the car and the T-belt was done at 61K miles... I read up on this forum that the sound was probably due to the belt being over tightened

I've done a T-belt on a prelude h23 motor before so correcting the tension was no problem - the belt was tight, i loosened the tensioner bolt, turned the camshaft 3 teeth and then retorqued the bolt.

The whine is still present, it is not as much at idle but it comes back after maybe 20 mins of driving BUT this is the real problem now---- there is a burning rubber smell coming from the T-belt cover area!!!!

Has anyone experience this before? The only explanation I can give is that the something that the belt drives is at a point of seizing up and causing the belt to rub instead of turn -- my guess is the tensioner.. perhaps the loosened tension is now causing the belt to rub on the tensioner instead of before when it was tighter it still turned the tensioner....

I stopped driving the car, the rubber smell is really of concern.. I am going to take a look this weekend and possibly start replacing parts.. new belt, tensioner, water pump, idle belt...

I could use any input on this.... thanks guys
Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Need Timing Belt Help, did search! -- this is a new one (neoekai)

if you smell rubber than take timing cover off...look all around the cogs and tensioner for a thin sediment of black dusty ****.if you see dusty **** on any of them then change as nessicary and just replace tensioner for ***** and giggles while your in there.i would replace water pump too seeing since you are already gonna be in there.your car might have low miles but who knows it is getting old! a friend of mine had a problem with his timing cover acually rubbing on the belt so check that cover too! check all your egine accesaories as well for that black stuff could be an accesorie belt slippin over a ceased or semi ceased pulley
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I will be checking everything out this weekend and post up the results.

Has anyone ever experienced this burning smell before??
Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (neoekai)

I'd bet that one of the timing covers is rubbing a pulley or the belt itself.

Did any of the covers seem to be bowed out, or misaligned?

I'd bet the upper inner plastic cover is rubbing the cam pulley/t belt edge.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

i fixed similar problem on my friends eclipse. we just ripped the cover off of it LOL cheapest fix ever
Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (neoekai)

when you buy the new tensioner the spring may be sold separetly
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input -- When I did the timing belt adjustment I did not notice the cover being bowed or anything but I will def take a look this time around with a close eye.

Thanks again -- I will post up what I find, this site is really a great help!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

I warmed up the car ( no smell or sound ) then drove around for a couple mins -- popped the hood and it make the whining sound and I smelled the burning rubber .. the proceeded to work

I took everything off last nigh, took a look and eveything seems fine - the tensioner spun freely, the water pump turned without any resistance substantial resistance ... So with the both covers off I put the Tbelt back on then the crank pulley and the alternator belt and started the car - i let her warm up and but still no smell and no sound - i think do the same for the ac compressor and the powersteering pump and still no whine or smell-- so now I am thinking i need to put the car underload to to hear the whine and smell.

But as i'm checking the bolts i break a valve cover bolt -- so i didn't drive the car around again.. I have to get an ez out tool tonight and get that guy out...