Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need suggestions for lowering my hatch

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestions for lowering my hatch

I'm interested in dropping my hatch a little (not slammed). I was hoping to keep a decent ride quality and not totally ruin it. Do I just need springs and shocks or should I get sleeves too? I have not clue exactly what I'm looking for to be honest.

Is this good or should I shoot for something else? I didn't wanna break the bank on this.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need suggestions for lowering my hatch

I been rollin on adjustable coil overs from eBay for a year now and im must say their great! $60 well spent. i can adjust my ride height in 2 minutes. everyone else will disagree on ANY ebay parts. But they really are great! i have had 2 sets and my friends been having his for 3 years on a 00 si
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Whoop whoooop!

Get a good set of adjustable coilovers if you want to have control of how high or low it is, or just get a set of springs like tein s techs or eibachs. Both would get you a decent drop. The stock shocks will work for a little while but you should upgrade those down the road. Just for springs you are lookin at 150-250.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^agreed

some good springs will run you 150-250, as previously stated and you can run on them for a while, but since your stock spring rates and aftermarket spring rates are different, your shocks will slowly detiorate. i would reccomend a shock purchase a few months after your spring purchase. koni yellows and ground control shocks are the best buck for the bang and are IMO your best bet if you don't want to spend coilover prices.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So for a full set of shocks and coilovers it's looking to be about $700ish. I dunno if I'm not looking for the right stuff, but it seems to be a little cheaper to go for a full kit then it is to go for 2 different brands. I'm looking at a couple options right now.

Tokico Illumina kit
or
Skunk2 kit

Looks like the Illuminas are the better option, but it's like $200 more... Are the Illuminas even worth it for a DD? Any suggestions/links to better deals or better kits/parts?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought used kyb gr2 for $100 used. $70 for skunk2 race springs. $170 total. i was low on budget so i bought them used.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought gr2s and coilovers and lcas for $110 shipped. look around and youll find deals.

buy some used springs, h&r, eibach, and tein are good brands. should run you around $50-$80 shipped. use your stock shocks for now, then upgrade to better shocks when the stockers blow
Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sde780
use your stock shocks for now, then upgrade to better shocks when the stockers blow
I'd rather just replace the shocks right off the bat lol. I have the money to pick up the illumina set, I just don't know if it is worth it for a daily driver. I don't wanna go super cheap (ie ebay junk) but I don't wanna go too excessive either. I'm probably gonna wanna drop it about 1.5-2 in the rear and 2-2.5 in the front.

Last edited by ShinyNewPenny; 04-26-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have progress springs, it lowered my car like an inch. clean enough to tell its lowered and it didnt affect ride quality at all. i have no body roll, but its not a rough right by any means. supa smooth yo
Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id use stock struts
tein s tech springs
i have them on my hx rides good and doesn't look slammed
Old 04-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally suggest getting different shocks. I'm on coilover sleeves with stock shocks and it's pretty damn bouncy, and your axels won't like it much either. That's just my 2 cents though.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the function & forum, full coilovers. super nice for $600
Old 04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShinyNewPenny
I'd rather just replace the shocks right off the bat lol. I have the money to pick up the illumina set, I just don't know if it is worth it for a daily driver. I don't wanna go super cheap (ie ebay junk) but I don't wanna go too excessive either. I'm probably gonna wanna drop it about 1.5-2 in the front and 2-2.5 in the rear.
if you can afford a coilover system, they are absolutely the best way to go, if you put springs on the car, and then upgrade the shocks later on what sense does that make? youre having to do the same job twice. just get a decent coilover system and do it once but either way, you will need to get a camber kit if youre lowering the car. ive got a set of tokico illumina coilovers, illumina shocks + eibach ground control coilovers, i freakin love them! money well spent, the ride is superb and easily adjusts the ride height and also each shock/strut has 5 different adjustable stiffness levels. in the end, its all up to how much you want to spend and what all you want the car to be capable of, after all, it is your car. GL
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
get the function & forum, full coilovers. super nice for $600
agreeed! do it right the first time. end of story.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:30 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

What are you going to do with it? What's your budget?

1. Do not use stock shocks. If it doesn't ride bad to begin with, it will when the shocks blow because they can't handle the ride height. You can't go wrong with Koni.

2. Do not buy cheap linear springs. Get a good set of progressives. Eibachs are good, I've also heard good things about the skunk2. Sleeves are fine if you get a good brand (S2, GC), but they cost more.

3. DO get an alignment. Your tires will thank you.

4. You do NOT need a camber kit if you're dropping less than 2", and you get it properly aligned with the toe zeroed out. You will not run into excessive wear issues with <2* of camber.

5. Good shocks/nonadjustable springs ride and handle better than cheap coilovers. They just do.

6. You cannot go wrong with Koni Yellow / Ground controls.

I've got Koni Reds and Eibach sportlines. This is just about the cheapest combo that I would recommend for anyone - think it cost me a little over $500. It rides superb and handles very flat and neutral. Drop is about 2" in the front, a little less in the rear (at least on my 00 coupe). Here's what it looks like:

You can see I'm not tucking tire, but I personally don't want anything lower for a daily.

Last edited by Vindicator9000; 04-24-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since everyone is tellin wat they have:
I got Progress full coils with extended rear struts mine cost 950$
and im going lower then this!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You do NOT need a camber kit. Your tires will not wear down enough to be noticeable. There's a guy locally dropped 4" or so and he doesn't run a camber kit, just gets his toe set to 0 and his tires are great.

I vote for S-techs with some aftermarket shocks
Old 04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sde780
You do NOT need a camber kit. Your tires will not wear down enough to be noticeable. There's a guy locally dropped 4" or so and he doesn't run a camber kit, just gets his toe set to 0 and his tires are great.

I vote for S-techs with some aftermarket shocks
x2, im droped like 4inches, my tires are cambered and it doesnt wear down juss the toe is wat messing up the tires , gettin my alignement done tomorrow
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM

function form 1's will do what you need if you just want a decent ride without damping adj. had a set of these on my first coupe and the never blew.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I just bought a set of Function & Form type 1. I'll post up pics after they arrive and I get 'em installed.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

omni slip on coilovers are pretty good for the money, around the same amount for a set a springs.
im looking to get a set soon but i cant find anyone that has them in stock, all back orderd.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good choice
Old 04-26-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ShinyNewPenny
Thanks guys. I just bought a set of Function & Form type 1. I'll post up pics after they arrive and I get 'em installed.
good choice. Got those pics yet? I think you will be happy with these!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update time I suppose.

I got the F2's on the 7th. Had the front pair installed that night after doing my front brakes/rotors. Started on the rears the next day, broke both LCA bolts... Called all the nearby Honda dealers, no one had them instock. I ordered replacements, but they won't arrive 'til midweek.

I'm almost 100% sure that both bolts are frozen to the bushings, well, I know the left one is. I'm gonna order a pair of Skunk2 LCA's and just trash the stock ones. I'm getting so annoyed at these 2 bolts... it's rediculous.

EDIT: Ok, so I just broke 2 more bolts trying to get the LCA's off. The bolts that connect the LCA to the knuckle/hub/whatever, the right #29 in the pic below. The higher bolts (left #29) were no problem. I need to remove the broken 29's from the LCA now... how should I go about doing that? I have a feeling I'm gonna have to remove the rotor, if not more, to get in there.

Last edited by ShinyNewPenny; 05-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump

Quick Reply: Need suggestions for lowering my hatch