Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need some suggestions for a d16z6 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 need some suggestions for a d16z6 build

howzit everyone. i need some suggestions on how i can build a fully built sohc v motor that can handle lots of power.. after im finished with building the motor im planning on boosting it.. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Default Re: need some suggestions for a d16z6 build

One thing to consider is your power goal. You can add a set of rods, pistons etc and make great power ( talking boost of course ) and considering your power goals, your biggest barrier will be your stock sleeves if your planning to make BIG hp numbers. Although, some people have made 400 +hp on stock d16 sleeves. The most common "budget" setup I've seen is vitara pistons with a set of h-beam rods. When assembled and tuned correctly, you have a GREAT base to lay down some good HP without breaking the bank!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92sihbk
One thing to consider is your power goal. You can add a set of rods, pistons etc and make great power ( talking boost of course ) and considering your power goals, your biggest barrier will be your stock sleeves if your planning to make BIG hp numbers. Although, some people have made 400 +hp on stock d16 sleeves. The most common "budget" setup I've seen is vitara pistons with a set of h-beam rods. When assembled and tuned correctly, you have a GREAT base to lay down some good HP without breaking the bank!

along with some arp headstuds an maybe some head work all depends on how much u got to spend an wat ur power goals are!!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys.. any more suggestions?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they pretty much covered it. stock block with vitara pistons, eagle h-beams, and arp rod bolts and head bolts should net you some nice reliable horsepower. anything more than about 500hp and you should look into sleeving the block. but honestly who really needs THAT much hp lol. here's a vid for inspiration.

vitaras, fjt rods, stock sleeves, and no blockguard. now they didn't use eagle rods in this particular build, but they could have done so and made the same power safely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CvdlJLes4
Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man this is some good stuff..
Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely rods and pistons, id suggest having your bottom end balanced. id also suggest having your block checked out, there is significant HP to be had by fixing little things here and there(main alignment, cam alignment, cylinders perpendicular to mains, cylinders not tapered, deck perpendicular to mains, ......etc). i personally would want somewhere near stock compression ratio this will keep the engines power up while its not in boost.

get a good turbo cam, i tend to favor smaller(quicker spooling) turbos as opposed to larger(slower spooling) turbos........ OR somewhere more in the middle because i dont like waiting around for power or torque.

upgrade the fuel system too(injectors, pump, FPR, fuel rail.......) you do not want to drop a bunch of money in this only to have it destroy itself cuz its running lean. which brings me to my next point, get a tuneable ECU.

and last but most important, GET A GOOD TUNE. dont drive it until you can afford to have it tuned on a dyno by someone who knows how to tune.