Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need some help w/auto to stick conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help w/auto to stick conversion

we already converted my car from auto to stick.
but we have one problem. the car does not start unless the automatic shifter is hooked up on the middle console.
if the auto shifter is taken out, then the car doesnt even crank.
info please, it looks REALLY ugly if the autoshifter is hooked up along w/the manual shifter-both shifters are showing.
hope my question is understandable
thanks
Old 03-24-2002, 05:17 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need some help w/auto to stick conversion (sohcmydohc)

sounds like your neatrul saftey switch that is connected to the auto shifter needs to grounded.. it is the same switch that is grounded when you put the clutch down in the car and im takeing it that you didnt move the switch to the clutch and just left it on the auto shifter.. i think its a blue and black wire on the connector, ground it out and then try it.. fyi - ive never done an auto -> manual conversion i just know that this switch exists on both auto and manual cars cause ive installed a couple remote starters on a manual and auto and this wire needs to be tapped into.. so basically when this wire it grounded you dont need to push the clutch down to start the car..
Old 03-24-2002, 08:30 AM

Default Re: need some help w/auto to stick conversion (95CivicEX)

That is my thougt too. Try to look at the Neutral safety switch and see if that may be your problem.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:09 AM

Default Re: need some help w/auto to stick conversion (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

thank you for the replies
really appreciate it
ill take a look at it and hopefully it will run without that damn auto shifter hooked up.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need some help w/auto to stick conversion (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

Maybe one of you guys can help me out too. I just did the same swap on my car and now my brake lights wont turn on. Checked all the fuses and bulbs and stuff like that. Maybe i missed a wire or something somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need some help w/auto to stick conversion (jdmhatch)

Maybe one of you guys can help me out too. I just did the same swap on my car and now my brake lights wont turn on. Checked all the fuses and bulbs and stuff like that. Maybe i missed a wire or something somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
did you unplug the wire harness that is connected to the brake pedal??? sounds like that is the problem to me.. there is a wire harness w/ i think 5 wires comin from the top of the brake pedel.. check that.. or maybe you cut a wire you were not supposed..

do not be driving w/ no brake lights tho.. thats some dangerous ****..
Old 03-24-2002, 10:47 PM

Default Re: need some help w/auto to stick conversion (siblue-sol)

Your auto gear selector must remain in the car in order for the car to start. You have to take apart the auto gear selector and just leave the white plastic slider with all the wires attached to it. Make sure the shifter is in park before taking it apart and don't move the slider out of park. Just tuck the slider underneath the dash.

As far as back up lights, you have to hard wire them into the cabin from the back up light switch on the tranny. Tap the switch on the tranny and run the wires to the back of that white plastic slider thing I was talking about. There should be some solderings on the back and connect the wires to these solderings.

Hope this helps.

Here's the link: http://www.hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/autoconvert.html