Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Some Help Oil Burning in Vtec (Long write up) Searched...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help Oil Burning in Vtec (Long write up) Searched...

ok guys first to let everyone know i DID search through 12 pages of archived threads looking for a definite answer to my problem but i didn't find what i needed.

i got this b16a2 motor and the block has approx 28K miles and the head has approx 50-60K on it. it is completely stock other then intake/header/and act stage 1 clutch. when i assembled it i used NEW OEM timing belt, waterpump, tentioner, headgasket, spark plugs, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, camshaft seals and new pcv. i have put 1500 miles on the motor and changed the oil the other day before i went to seattle and back. The thing is that if i drive it and keep it out of vtec then it will burn absolutely no oil. once i hit it at WOT and vtec engages then i see the puff of smoke out the rear.

As stated above i just changed the oil with factory oil (5w-30)/filter and i accidently over filled it just a bit past the second notch. so yesterday i took it up to seattle area and i stopped when i got there (approx 200 miles non stop) i gassed it up with premium chevron and checked the oil and it was perfect (because i kept it out of vtec the whole way) on the way back i hit vtec a few times (about 5/6 times) on the way home and when i got home and checked the oil again it was in the middle of the 2 dots. So im sure that it tasted atleast 1/2 to 3/4 of a qt of oil.

So here is my concern....the head came off my other b16 motor after i jumped timing. But i took it into a shop to have it checked for bent/leaking valves and the shop said that i needed to have a valve grind done on the 2 exhaust valves in the #1 cylinder so i did. the machine shop said that i needed to have the valves adjusted when i put the head back on the motor but because i don't have the special honda valve adjusting tool i could not do so.

The tech question is: can having misadjusted valves cause this much oil consumption??? Also the head did go through alot of high rpm's (sometimes up to 9K, only once or twice) so could it possibily be the valve stem seals??

I pulled the plugs out tonight and looked at them. #1 looked normal, #2 had some oil but not bad, #3 had some crusty white ish all over it, and #4 had considerably more oil on it. So i think my problem is in the head and in the #4 cylinder. Also checked the pcv valve and it looked fine. Looking to get this fixed right.

i'll try to get some compression numbers up in the next few days. Thanks for all the info in advance!!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also running a stock p28.

Bump for some ideas