Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

Hey guys Im new to the forum Im hoping you guys can help me out.
I was driving home today and I was less than a mile from my house when my 96 civic (SOHC, non-vtec) died. I thought it was the battery at first but I still had full power to everything. It was almost like I switched the ignition from ON to ACC. The engine just shut off and now I cant start it, it starts to turn over but wont start. I checked spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap they all appear fine. I also checked the timing belt it is still in good shape and it turns fine. Any clues to what the problem might be??? I also am going to check the fuel rails, and pump but it sounds like the fuel pump kicks on. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help (KidJai06)

hmmmmm. fuses, grounds, battery, alternator
Old 11-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang I really wish I could help. It seems like you have checked for fuel and spark...so I am kind of outa ideas. Does it try to turn over or nothing?? BTW: I nominate this guy for the best N00b ever. This is seriously the most well put together first post I have ever had the pleasure of laying eyes on. Someone else in here with more knowledge than myself will help you out just because your post is so well layed out.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Need some help (HXvtec)

Its not battery or alternator..... I have full power to everything the battery is 100%. Oh and I still have half tank of gas so its not that.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dang I really wish I could help. It seems like you have checked for fuel and spark...so I am kind of outa ideas. Does it try to turn over or nothing?? BTW: I nominate this guy for the best N00b ever. This is seriously the most well put together first post I have ever had the pleasure of laying eyes on. Someone else in here with more knowledge than myself will help you out just because your post is so well layed out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes #1. ok well sorry buddy but ya stumped us. sorry i couldnt help
Old 11-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help (HXvtec)

Agian, does it try to turn over or does it just cluck when you try to start it??
Old 11-04-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Need some help (Ricey McRicerton)

It definatly trys to turn over....it all but actually starts. (so far ive ruled out the starter, battery, alternator, timing belt, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor from what i can tell looks ok, i took off the cap and the rotor and it looks brand new)
Old 11-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KidJai06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it starts to turn over but wont start. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm.. All i can say is go back, and double check.

See if your getting spark and fuel. Then check the grounds....maybe a ground came lose from the tranny or head. Happened to my freind. Goodluck finding the problem. Sorry we can't help more.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KidJai06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i took off the cap and the rotor and it looks brand new) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Try turning the ignition, and holding a wire to a metal piece, such as a valve cover nut. If you see spark, then great....try it with all 4 spark plugs.

Even if things look brand new, you can never tell. I helped another guy who's wires went out on him...Wires! and because of that he was misfireing cylinder # 1. He check it himself, and everything looked good, including the wires (how really do you tell).
Old 11-06-2003, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Need some help (EG(6)SR)

So here is the update....I replaced plugs, distributor cap & rotor just because it is probably time to anyway. Car still wont start. Fuel pump, lines, filter, and injectors are fine because im getting adequte fuel flow. There is spark, I tested the ignition coil and all the fuses, and relays and still have come up empty. Im running out of things to check and double check . IF anyone has any other ideas it would be most appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 03:13 PM

I'm helping KidJai out. I'm stumped.

We've checked fuses. It's turning over just never firing. We have spark after changing the rotor, cap and plugs. While I checked the plug for spark, I could smell the gas. Air shouldn't be a problem so we have fuel and spark. Compression as well because the engine spins slowly still. My guess is that we are missing one last electrical piece that needs to be 12V to allow the car to run or the timing is off.

I've heard about an ignition relay from a few people but I can't see it or find it. Is it in the main harness/fuse panel/box under the drivers side?

Also, the timing belt is perfectly fine. What other timing pieces could have gone?

Also, to note, this problem happened while it was running. It wasn't like it just didn't start one day. He was driving and it just died.

\Thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Need some help (awsnap)

You probably already checked, but are you throwing any codes?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:14 PM

What type of day was it ? I have heard of this happening and what it was was Hydrolocking the engine and it happens just like that and then it won't start again.

Also (I don't know alot but it might just be something to look into) I know that Mitsu's 4G63 engines had a crankshaft angle sensor and they all had problems with crankwalk and the engine would shut off when the crankshaft moved too far. Maybe Honda crank's have the same ? I really don't know but I am just trying to help ..... Sorry if I couldn't help you more than that .....
Old 11-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wicker Man)

did you check ALL your fuses, this happened to me once and it was my ECU fuse (which is in the engine bay by the battery) i was a week with out a car for a fuse i didnt bother checking....

if not try checking all your grounds... and if still nothing, you might have a short somewhere which is a real pain in the **** to find....
Old 11-11-2003, 06:28 AM

Default Re: (Wicker Man)

we checked ALL the fuses and they are all good, there is no check engine light, and the time of day that i was driving was about 10:00 in the morning, it was sunny and about 70 degrees. Perfect weather.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (KidJai06)

Yeah, we've checked everything, it's gonna be time soon to start rechecking everything but I would like to know where the elusive ignition relay is and if there are any other sensors (that pertain to timing or otherwise) that we could be checking.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help (EG(6)SR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG(6)SR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Even if things look brand new, you can never tell. I helped another guy who's wires went out on him...Wires! and because of that he was misfireing cylinder # 1. He check it himself, and everything looked good, including the wires (how really do you tell).</TD></TR></TABLE>

right..my friend had a dead prelude...the alternator went out..try and go to your local autozone and get it tested out..