Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need oppinions for daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 01:33 PM
A
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need oppinions for daily driver.

Hey, I'm selling everything I own and moving out. This means selling my Vette (I'm KEEPING my bike though! ) and I need a nice reliable car to drive incase it rains or I need to transport people or large objects.

What I want is this:
5-speed
air conditioning
good gas mileage
reliability
$4k budget
modern interior (in other words, 1980's era cars need not apply )

Also I might like to do some suspension work later on. I like a car that's really low to the ground and has very tight handling. Speed I could care less about (that's what the bike is for) so a Civic CX, though I'd prefer a slightly spicier motor, would do.

I really like the '92+ Civic hatchback and the '94+ Integra (but I'll probably end up with the Civic since those tend to cost less). I'm sold on Honda reliability, so the contest is pretty much just between these two, but suggestions are welcome! What would you recomend? What do you think I can get that's within my budget?
Old 11-23-2002, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (A)

yeah i say for about $4k u can get 92-95 civic ex (so it has the better stock motor), or maybe go G2 teggy, they are cheap, reliable, and CLEANNN if u do them right. good luck yo
Old 11-23-2002, 02:43 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I need a nice reliable car to drive incase it rains or I need to transport people or large objects...
I would say the best 'car' for you is actually going to be a pickup truck. You seem to be comfortable with Chevrolets. If it was me, I'd bag a nice used Chevy S-10 and slam it. Best of ALL possible worlds...
Old 11-23-2002, 03:00 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Can't go wrong with a Chevy pickup.

Don't get a CX unless you plan on doing a lot. The interior is pretty cheap. if you get a hatch and don't plan on doing much, get an Si. I've carried lawn mowers, rims, pretty much everything in my bedroom and kitchen except for my bed and dresser. In other words, it has a lot of room, and for under 600 bucks, will handle quite nicely. It's all up to you, I would say a Legacy 2.5 GT, but that seems out of your price range...
Old 11-23-2002, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Civic ex 92-94 is nice and in that range, and you can do a lil to it for fun. a civic cx is slow you should not get one so there is one more out there for the people who want a easy swap but good gass milage if you want... 92-94 is the price range... 94+ tegs go for 6000 +
Old 11-23-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (project_a_spec)

Don't get a civic.

If you want a honda, Accord.

I suggest an Corolla.

Great Gas Mileage.

[Modified by jin_, 4:13 PM 11/23/2002]
Old 11-23-2002, 03:34 PM
A
New User

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (BlackDeuceCoupe)

I would say the best 'car' for you is actually going to be a pickup truck. You seem to be comfortable with Chevrolets. If it was me, I'd bag a nice used Chevy S-10 and slam it. Best of ALL possible worlds...
Yeah I thought about that, but I wouldn't want a truck as my only closed-cabin vehicle...I'm not really a truck guy, I want something small
By 'large objects' I mean objects that will not fit in my backpack :D Actually I'm really diggin' the Civic hatch cause there's a whole lotta room so it's got enough utility for me, it's cheap, it's small, and it looks kinda sporty.

So you guys think I can score an EX hatch in good condition with my budget? That's cool. What engine is that?
Old 11-23-2002, 03:38 PM
A
New User

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (jin_)

Don't get a civic.
I suggest an Corolla.
Great Gas Mileage.
Well, Accords are more $$$ and they're V6 (right?). I'd prefer a 4-banger cause inline motors are so simple. I love it I don't really like the styling of the Corollas that I could afford...now, the new Corolla S on the other hand, I'd take one of those in a heartbeat!
Old 11-23-2002, 03:56 PM
JwM
Honda-Tech Member

unfortunately there isn't an EX hatch.... I say if you like the hatch either go with the CX and deal with the slowness till you can swap it, or get a DX... The DX isn't too terribly bad, its not FAST, but its quick enough, and pretty good on gas...

For what you are describing I would say find a hatch that needs a motor for say around 1500 or so, and find you a SOHC VTEC motor or something... You can find em pretty cheap, and you could maintain your 4K price tag... Just do research on the cars, and all the possibilities is your best bet... Other than that good luck...
Old 11-23-2002, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (MayonakaNinja)

If you were wanting an ex hatch just get an si, first off the auctually made the si and secondly its a nice car with a little room.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought a 93 Cx (hatch) about a month ago and have NO regrets!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 04:03 PM

Get a 92 CX you can find them fairly cheap. 2500 or less. And the I say Put a Civic Si oe Ex swap for now until you can afford to get the swap you want. It is easy to upgrade everything. You can get a EX cluster and it plugs right in so you will have a tach. Then go to the junkyard and buy Integra GSR front and rear disk brake setup. That will give you plenty of stoping power and stiifer springs for minimal costs then you can build the car you want while you drive a dependable but yet still quick car.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

get a del Sol Si. The si has the same motor as the Ex, but it sits low, and it looks alot better then civics. Alot of trunk space and passenger space, very roomy, very roomy. Bad thing is its a two seater, so that means only your significant other can accompany you on the long ride, which isn't always a bad thing.

D
Old 11-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Get a 92-95 Si hatch. The cabin is great in my eyes. Has good seats, good speakers, hatch cover, sunroof, color matched mirrors(94-95), and has the D16Z6 SOHC vtec which has plenty of power for daily driving. It's comfortable, no need to upgrade, lots of room, and gets good mileage. Before headwork and cam I was getting about 45 highway and 35 city driving! Can be easily had for under 4 grand with good miles and great condition!
Old 11-23-2002, 04:15 PM
JwM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (black2kcivic)

Si's are gonna be harder to find, and probably more expensive... I think that it would be better to find a good body with a bad motor, and swap in a newer SOHC VTEC, which is gonna end up running about the same in the end, depending on who does the work, where he gets it from etc... I dunno, if he could find a good Si, well then that is the better/easier way to go, but I wouldnt mind having a CX with a D16Y8 as opposed to my 88 HF 65 HP wonder... Oh well. its a good car, and will work till I find another hatch...
Old 11-23-2002, 04:15 PM
A
New User

Ahh DX hatch sounds good then, I am really not very concerned about the speed. I was building the Vette to be fast (had planned to build and swap in a 383 or 400) but then I bought this motorcycle of mine and haven't looked to a car for speed ever since (a power to weight ratio of 1hp for every ~3.12lbs will do that to ya! ) I just need something nice that will last me like 3 or 4 years or so with NO problems.

I know it would be cool to buy a car that needs a motor and then get a motor for it and all that cool stuff, but I just don't have the time. I already have way too much stuff going on right now.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:21 PM

if you want hatch with good gas milage the VX has better gas milage that the CX. plus you get some pretty good looking stock wheels, and it will look hella bad *** if you slam it on them. You will also get a tach on your gauge cluster instead of just a spedo.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (92hb)

if you want hatch with good gas milage the VX has better gas milage that the CX. plus you get some pretty good looking stock wheels, and it will look hella bad *** if you slam it on them. You will also get a tach on your gauge cluster instead of just a spedo.
Plus a stock lip!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:51 PM

er....i think you may be in the wrong place.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4 door 94 Integra LS or GSR?
Old 11-23-2002, 06:26 PM

Don't get a civic.
I suggest an Corolla.
Great Gas Mileage.

Well, Accords are more $$$ and they're V6 (right?). I'd prefer a 4-banger cause inline motors are so simple. I love it I don't really like the styling of the Corollas that I could afford...now, the new Corolla S on the other hand, I'd take one of those in a heartbeat!
Not the older F-series.

He wants to sped 4k, a 93-4 accord or 92-3 Corolla
Old 11-23-2002, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (jin_)

Yeah, I'd say look for a nice clean 5th gen Si hatch. D16Z6 powered- enough go for a daily driver, good mileage, plenty of creature comforts, and can be had for around your price range.

Plus if you do decide you need a new car project, there's obviously a world of aftermarket support for Honda's
Old 11-23-2002, 06:55 PM
A
New User

Default Re: Need oppinions for daily driver. (uncivilCivicinprogress)

So what year Si Hatch would I be looking at for four G's?
Oh yeah, does the Si have better suspension than the lesser trim levels or not really?

[Modified by A, 7:56 PM 11/23/2002]
Old 11-23-2002, 07:00 PM

Well, if you want a DD, then you want room to carry things, no?

4-door's the way to go.

Get a 99 Hyundia Accent.

Yeah it sucks, but 10 yr warranty.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:18 PM

So what year Si Hatch would I be looking at for four G's?
Oh yeah, does the Si have better suspension than the lesser trim levels or not really?

[Modified by A, 7:56 PM 11/23/2002]
Well, my dad just told me about a 92 Si hatch in the paper that was 3600, I'm sure any 92-95 would be more or less in your price range.
As far as suspension, I'm really not sure what the difference is between the various trim levels, and my coupe didn't really stay stock long enough for me to find out how good the EX is from the factory I think the brakes are upgraded on the Si tho. Springs, shocks, and a sway bar make all the difference in the world, too, and was easily the best money I spent on my car yet.

Quick Reply: Need oppinions for daily driver.