Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Opinions on these suspension*

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions on these suspension*

Buddy Club spec N vs. Tein flex for del sol

Note that I work at a shop and get these parts for cheaper.

Buddy club: $ ~850 with pillow ball mounts
12k front/6k rear
** features adjustable ride height without changing the spring rate.

Teins: $ ~1100 with pillow ball mounts, will not be buying edfc.
10k front/7k rear

Basically im hesitant on the Buddy Clubs because i havent been able to really locate any reviews, the teins are more popular and i know what to expect from them. Now, by looking at the spring rates, can i logically say that the BC's will be as good if not better than the Teins? That is if the dampening is just as good also. From what ive been reading is that the BC's are really good and cheap also.

If im going to spend about $1000 i want to do it right the first time. What do you guys think?

I will also be fabricating all kinds of suspension components like strut bars to compliment these.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Opinions on these suspension* (delLudeVTEC)

bump
Old 11-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1.) I can already tell that you won't be competitively road racing this car, so both suspension systems you've posted are overkill.

2.) what exactly are you going to be doing with this car?

3.) Koni Yellows and custom rate Eibach springs with either company's pillow-ball mounts will outperform everything you've suggested and it'll be cheaper.

4.) if you're blowing $1000 on suspension without doing new rear LCA bushings (if not new LCAs altogether) and swaybars, you might as well do nothing.

Give us more information so I don't think you're just another tool with money
Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Opinions on these suspension* (Archidictus)

I didn't mention those things because obviously if your looking into suspension of this type its a given that sway bars, strut bars, lca's will be upgraded. I have tried the super streets and although i think there great for occasional tracking im looking for something less soft.

And p.s. i will decide wether these are overkill for my application. And no, i dont want koni's with gc's this time.

If i was just a "tool with money" i would probaly be asking about ebay turbo kits and electric superchargers, also if i can buy some stiff springs off ebay and if they would work good on stock shocks.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:25 PM

Buddy Club > Tein IMO But you honestly cant go wrong with Koni/GC setup properly.

What are you going to be doing with the car?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you need spherical bearing upper mounts?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

itr setup all the way
Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Opinions on these suspension* (Targa250R)

Tracking couple times a month, i dont mind how it rides on the street. The pillow ball mounts I get for a really good price so i will buy them. When I do go to the track i am oriented into having the best setup possible within practical money limits. Just because i drive it on the street doesn't mean i want to go with something softer. All im asking in this post is if the teins are just being hyped up these days and overpriced, thats all.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delLudeVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All im asking in this post is if the teins are just being hyped up these days and overpriced, thats all.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Absolutely. I have not been impressed with any Tein dampers that retail for less than $1800. I also have not been impressed with any Buddy Club dampers.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Need Opinions on these suspension* (Targa250R)

ok the rates for the rear need to be around 8kg+ if you want a pretty hard ride. for the front with a stock engine 10kg would be good but 12kg may help a little depending on your driving style.

Spring rates are one of the most important thing you can select for setting your car up so I would ask around or have the ability to change your rates as you would like and see how you and the car react.

Dont spend all your money on suspension parts and expect to have the best handeling del Sol ever. it might handle good but drive slower at the track. I have seen this happen many times first hand. Don't forget the nut behind the wheel.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM
a/k/a Jomo

Can I find out why people are so against the Koni/Eibach ERS set-up? Honestly. Tell the truth. If you just want JDM coil overs for the bling, then say that. Nothing to be ashamed of. It's your money.

From a performance standpoint though, I just have a hard time figuring out why people spend money on an adjustable damper that doesn't have the adjustment range and overall effectiveness that an off the shelf Koni does, let alone an SPSS3. Hell even Koni 3011's are cheaper then the upper end JDM stuff.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Need Opinions on these suspension* (Mr Hammond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Hammond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can I find out why people are so against the Koni/Eibach ERS set-up? Honestly. Tell the truth. If you just want JDM coil overs for the bling, then say that. Nothing to be ashamed of. It's your money.

From a performance standpoint though, I just have a hard time figuring out why people spend money on an adjustable damper that doesn't have the adjustment range and overall effectiveness that an off the shelf Koni does, let alone an SPSS3. Hell even Koni 3011's are cheaper then the upper end JDM stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quoted for truth.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need Opinions on these suspension* (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) I can already tell that you won't be competitively road racing this car, so both suspension systems you've posted are overkill.

2.) what exactly are you going to be doing with this car?

3.) Koni Yellows and custom rate Eibach springs with either company's pillow-ball mounts will outperform everything you've suggested and it'll be cheaper.

4.) if you're blowing $1000 on suspension without doing new rear LCA bushings (if not new LCAs altogether) and swaybars, you might as well do nothing.

Give us more information so I don't think you're just another tool with money </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree bro... i've tried the full coilovers before and they all ride very rough. I prefer the slip on coilovers like ground controls and koni's. I have the the ground controls and kyb adj setup...love it bro...the shocks are starting to have a little wear after a year but they still ride perfect for a DD