Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need more power to my d series!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more power to my d series!!!!

hey guys, i have a rebuilt sohc non vtec D15b7. i'm looking to get more power out of it but i'm not sure what to do!!! i tried to put up a thread before about this but for some reason i got locked out......and all the people in the thread pretty much told me to just swap it and start from a differnt platform like a b-series, but i'm a broke *** college student who's just looking to do a little sumthing extra to make my car faster. i have pictures of my motor if someone could please tell me how to post them that'd be great! HELPPPP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (slammed94ferio)

As a fellow broke *** college student, I recommend you piece together a turbo kit. It can be done WELL for $1500 tuned. Run 7-10 lbs and you'll have plenty of fun.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed94ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys, i have a rebuilt sohc non vtec D15b7. i'm looking to get more power out of it but i'm not sure what to do!!! i tried to put up a thread before about this but for some reason i got locked out......and all the people in the thread pretty much told me to just swap it and start from a differnt platform like a b-series, but i'm a broke *** college student who's just looking to do a little sumthing extra to make my car faster. i have pictures of my motor if someone could please tell me how to post them that'd be great! HELPPPP ME OUT!!!!!!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Save your money and accept the fact that you're driving a stock civic and in their stock form they're not fast in any way, shape, or form (Obviously K's aside).

Your quickest bet is to boost, I've heard of cheap turbo projects, but the "extras" always cost you a lot when you do a project of any sort.

You really don't have ANY options to you. Boost or swap, the D series isn't exactly something to marvel over - the whole engine as a long block is only worth 50-150 bucks.

Just save your money, if it's that important to go fast just save your money and when you have about 1-2k throw yourself together a good turbo kit.

If you want like a quick 15-20hp might as well get a mini-me swap (put a Z6 (VTEC) head on there). Not hard at all, but it still costs some money.

You're pretty **** outta luck. The reason your other post got locked was because this has been covered countless times.

EDIT:
PS: I'm a broke *** college student too, so don't get it twisted like I'm coming off with money falling out of my *******.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (ek forever guy)

i thought about a turbo kit, but would i need to buy any special parts or would i just need the kit? like a new ecu, boost controller or anything?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Ek Forever y0!

http://www.honda-tech/zerosearch

Start here bro, or

homemadeturbo.com

Both are good places too look at all the things you need.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.honda-tech/zerosearch

Start here bro, or

homemadeturbo.com

Both are good places too look at all the things you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it's near impossible for somebody to just tell you what you need.

Do research on it - a lot of research. Read all you can about boosting and how-to's and such.

homemadeturbo.com like ek suggested is good.
so is turboD16.com
Might also give D-series.org a try..

Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (Syndacate)

trust me, i've accepted the fact that my car is slow but i was just looking to get a little more power into just to **** around when i get bored. but your right i should just save my money and save it for a swap.

EDIT: thanks guys this is the kinda **** i was looking for the how to guides and what to do and what not to do....i don't wanna be told what to do i wanna learn all i can
Old 01-24-2007, 04:05 PM

is there anything else i can do besides the "mini-me" swap, i have intake and exhaust already.......anything else i can do?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A header might be good for 1-3hp.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, it's near impossible for somebody to just tell you what you need.

Do research on it - a lot of research. Read all you can about boosting and how-to's and such.

homemadeturbo.com like ek suggested is good.
so is turboD16.com
Might also give D-series.org a try..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks,

My tired DX just kicked the bucket.

Don't want crazy power my Auto DX econo box is fine just the way she is :D
Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A header might be good for 1-3hp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

really that's it??? i thought headers would do alittle more than that!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok saying these engines suck is far from true. There are plenty of set ups out there that have made so really good power with a d series engine.

First get some good bolt ons. Intake header and exhaust for the d series are all fairly cheap and at least make the car alittle peppier. Edit Ok get a header than. 3HP is at least something.

Next look into either doing a mini me swap (I have a head on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...d=1,1). However this can be pricey around $500 + depending on parts.

There are a few companies that make cams for the d16A1 and d15b7. Check the list here.
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

There are plently of parts but you have to do alittle more seaching than you would with a B series engine.

The turbo kit is the end all of this. There is a few people on here with some crazy d series set ups that make so serious power. There was one I saw that was putting 440HP to the wheels so yes they can be faster just takes some work.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take it from another broke college student, save up your money and do alot of reading, the cheapest way to make power is turbo, ive heard of some people peicing a kit together for under $1k, otherwise if you want your car to feel good before you put some serius power into it, get a set of wheels/tires and maybe some suspension mods, other wise save your money for the turbo!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (Boo_JDM_EK_wanabe)

Yes D series make less power than B series, BUT they also weigh less. Power to weight ratio. A modded D-series can be fun and fast.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (blackdelslo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes D series make less power than B series, BUT they also weigh less. Power to weight ratio. A modded D-series can be fun and fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not another weight comparison, there is to much of that between the H and B, there is hardly any difference in weight between the D an B series, maybe like 100lbs at most, which is nothing compaired how much more power the Bs can make
Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (blackdelslo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes D series make less power than B series, BUT they also weigh less. Power to weight ratio. A modded D-series can be fun and fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll still take the b series over the d
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM

BOTTLE: CHEAP & RELIABLE IF DONE SMART.
THATS WHAT I DID BACK IN TH EDAY. BUT HERES SOME GOOD ADVISE TOO. TAKE A SCHOOL LOAN OUT & USE IT TO PUT A BADASS 1.6 SOHC TURBO IN YOUR CAR. NOT SHITTIN YOU. I SERIOUSLY USED MY SCHOOL LOAN MONEY TO BUILD MY RACECAR. YOU HAVE TO PAY THAT **** BACK WHEN YOU GET OUT BUT GET A GOOD JOB & YOUR SET. REMEMBER THIS THOUGH. FAST CARS BURN CASH FAST. TRUST ME.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (F'NfastSOHCturbo)

Boost it or swap it, those are really the only two options you've got.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F’NfastSOHCturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BOTTLE: CHEAP & RELIABLE IF DONE SMART.
THATS WHAT I DID BACK IN TH EDAY. BUT HERES SOME GOOD ADVISE TOO. TAKE A SCHOOL LOAN OUT & USE IT TO PUT A BADASS 1.6 SOHC TURBO IN YOUR CAR. NOT SHITTIN YOU. I SERIOUSLY USED MY SCHOOL LOAN MONEY TO BUILD MY RACECAR. YOU HAVE TO PAY THAT **** BACK WHEN YOU GET OUT BUT GET A GOOD JOB & YOUR SET. REMEMBER THIS THOUGH. FAST CARS BURN CASH FAST. TRUST ME. </TD></TR></TABLE>

While you've got the right idea, maybe if you spent your student loan money on school, they would've taught you the correct useage of upper-case letters.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (. a d a m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boost it or swap it, those are really the only two options you've got.

While you've got the right idea, maybe if you spent your student loan money on school, they would've taught you the correct useage of upper-case letters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dammit, you stole my line .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manga_Spawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok saying these engines suck is far from true. There are plenty of set ups out there that have made so really good power with a d series engine.

First get some good bolt ons. Intake header and exhaust for the d series are all fairly cheap and at least make the car alittle peppier. Edit Ok get a header than. 3HP is at least something.

Next look into either doing a mini me swap (I have a head on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...d=1,1). However this can be pricey around $500 + depending on parts.

There are a few companies that make cams for the d16A1 and d15b7. Check the list here.
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

There are plently of parts but you have to do alittle more seaching than you would with a B series engine.

The turbo kit is the end all of this. There is a few people on here with some crazy d series set ups that make so serious power. There was one I saw that was putting 440HP to the wheels so yes they can be faster just takes some work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you mis-understand what I mean by suck. They suck for making power as they sit. You don't get much of a gain from bolt-ons from them. Boost is the only alternative that's really viable. Bolt-ons are **** for them IMO, that's why I have a total of $25 in the I/H/E on my car.

Turbo D series are bad-*** IMO. I believe they make very good daily drivers on stock internals.

Others disagree, but that's their prerogative. I wouldn't waste money on cams, but that's just me.

Seriously, what I would do:
- Save your money for a turbo build.

Or even don't save your money, just get 250 bucks, then start shopping for a turbo....then get some more, and start shopping for a turbo manifold...etc. Then when you have all the turbo components, just get like 500 dollars more (to cover any loose ends & a tune) and install it.

That's what I'd do if I had a steady job but right now I don't due to my class load (+ all the money I make has to go to people I owe it to).

Though I do have to say I disagree with your statement of there being "plenty of D-series parts" - IMO it's a waste of money to build a naturally aspired D series <u>that also</u> doubles as a daily driver. ITB's and such simply don't allow it.

I would just slowly piece together a turbo build if you're that ambitious about it.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (F'NfastSOHCturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F’NfastSOHCturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BOTTLE: CHEAP & RELIABLE IF DONE SMART.
THATS WHAT I DID BACK IN TH EDAY. BUT HERES SOME GOOD ADVISE TOO. TAKE A SCHOOL LOAN OUT & USE IT TO PUT A BADASS 1.6 SOHC TURBO IN YOUR CAR. NOT SHITTIN YOU. I SERIOUSLY USED MY SCHOOL LOAN MONEY TO BUILD MY RACECAR. YOU HAVE TO PAY THAT **** BACK WHEN YOU GET OUT BUT GET A GOOD JOB & YOUR SET. REMEMBER THIS THOUGH. FAST CARS BURN CASH FAST. TRUST ME. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's a real smart idea
Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: need more power to my d series!!!! (byronl)

hey whts up well i jus got done readin all the post an **** .. but neways .. if u wnt wht i did whn i had single slammer i went wit a lil mini me frankienstien .. d15 bottom end jg red line series port an polished head zc pistons stage 2 valve train an sum juice an it dumbed .. no lie i dumbed on ls an b16 all day .. but yah if ur interested hit me bck .. o an i still have the motor for sale if ur interested
Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM

advance ure timing and adj. ure valves for free.......i would reccommend a header like posted above as well.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (allricedout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lost_childxgunn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey whts up well i jus got done readin all the post an **** .. but neways .. if u wnt wht i did whn i had single slammer i went wit a lil mini me frankienstien .. d15 bottom end jg red line series port an polished head zc pistons stage 2 valve train an sum juice an it dumbed .. no lie i dumbed on ls an b16 all day .. but yah if ur interested hit me bck .. o an i still have the motor for sale if ur interested </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do us all a favor and hang yourself.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://hondamarketplace.com/zerothread/1874633

im selling mine pretty darn cheap and im not familiar with the d15, but an exhaust manifold is pretty cheap on ebay or home made turbo
Old 01-24-2007, 10:39 PM

get a cheap swap =p

Quick Reply: need more power to my d series!!!!