Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help on why my car is overheating???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on why my car is overheating???

OK well my car has some overheating problems as of lately: First off it was leaking from the water pump so i went ahead and replaced the water pump and timing belt. then after that a heater hose got a tear in it from too much pressure in the motor so i got a new radiatior cap and thermostat ( from pepboys) and its still wanting to over heat???

The radiator isnt leaking neither is the headgasket or the waterpump!!! BUT the clear/white plastic resuvior next to the radiator has a lot of pressure in it and keeps leaking. i drove the car from atlanta to savannah (3 hours) and it wanted to overheat in my driveway when i arrived! PLEASE HELP!!!! THANKS, Jeff
Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your rad or somewhere in your coolant system is clogged.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:25 PM

check the hoses.. mine is having the same problem and i have a small hole in the radiator hose. just pick up a new one a autozone or something
Old 08-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need help on why my car is overheating??? (jdmjeff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK well my car has some overheating problems as of lately: First off it was leaking from the water pump so i went ahead and replaced the water pump and timing belt. then after that a heater hose got a tear in it from too much pressure in the motor so i got a new radiatior cap and thermostat ( from pepboys) and its still wanting to over heat???

The radiator isnt leaking neither is the headgasket or the waterpump!!! BUT the clear/white plastic resuvior next to the radiator has a lot of pressure in it and keeps leaking. i drove the car from atlanta to savannah (3 hours) and it wanted to overheat in my driveway when i arrived! PLEASE HELP!!!! THANKS, Jeff</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pressure in the overflow can be a sign of a bad headgasket.
I would do a leak down test.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on why my car is overheating??? (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Pressure in the overflow can be a sign of a bad headgasket.
I would do a leak down test.</TD></TR></TABLE>
damn it... i hope that isnt it any other things it might be H-T???
also are you talking about a compression test? what should the compression be? around 250ish and if it was a bad headgasket what would it be? thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could check to see if your thermostat is opening and if your fan is coming on.
Those things can cause it to overheat, but they wont cause pressure in your overflow.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on why my car is overheating??? (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could check to see if your thermostat is opening and if your fan is coming on.
Those things can cause it to overheat, but they wont cause pressure in your overflow.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thermostat is brand new and works and the fan turns on also
Old 08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn it... i hope that isnt it any other things it might be H-T???
also are you talking about a compression test? what should the compression be? around 250ish and if it was a bad headgasket what would it be? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, he's not talking about a compression test. If he meant compression test he wouldn't have said leakdown test. You said a few posts up that it "wasn't leaking from the headgasket" but in retrospect it seems like you have no evidence of that claim. I'm going to say that it's 100% your headgasket and tell you to take your car to a mechanic next time instead of replacing parts that don't need replacing while troubleshooting things with your wallet instead of your brain.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on why my car is overheating??? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, he's not talking about a compression test. If he meant compression test he wouldn't have said leakdown test. You said a few posts up that it "wasn't leaking from the headgasket" but in retrospect it seems like you have no evidence of that claim. I'm going to say that it's 100% your headgasket and tell you to take your car to a mechanic next time instead of replacing parts that don't need replacing while troubleshooting things with your wallet instead of your brain.</TD></TR></TABLE>
actually you might wanna get your facts straight first. first off my waterpump blew so replaced that, and if i took that to a mechanic i would be in the hole about $600 dollars to start w/, then 3 days later the heater hose had a leak so i fixed that and the radiator cap was leaking and broke so the only thing i replaced that i didnt hav to was a $14.99 thermostat and everytime ive had a headgasket go it just leaked into the pistons and my plugs were neon green from antifreeze? ive never had these symptoms when ive had a headgasket go. Why would it cause the compression in the lines to go up??? i dont get it.

Modified by jdmjeff at 7:10 PM 8/13/2006
Old 08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also whats a good way from stopping a blown headgasket to happen again? arp headstuds? and what else should i replace when i take off my head? thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what brand headgasket did are you using?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on why my car is overheating??? (md88hfcrx)

headgasket +1

use the copper spray on it this time
Old 08-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on why my car is overheating??? (wheelmanbg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wheelmanbg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">headgasket +1

use the copper spray on it this time</TD></TR></TABLE>
hum never heard of that! and its an oem headgasket... should i use an oem one again?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just seeing if you used a felpro, they suck. oem all the way
Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on why my car is overheating??? (md88hfcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
hum never heard of that! and its an oem headgasket... should i use an oem one again?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you should use OEM! And the copper spray helps it seal
Ask for it at your local auto parts store
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ive never had these symptoms when ive had a headgasket go. Why would it cause the compression in the lines to go up??? i dont get it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Compression from the cylinder is leaking through the head gasket and entering your cooling system. Thats where the pressure is coming from. Make sense?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also whats a good way from stopping a blown headgasket to happen again? arp headstuds? and what else should i replace when i take off my head? thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just use an oem gasket again. Chances are, if the car was overheating while the water pump went bad, that caused the gasket to go.
Also, when you have the head pulled, they should check to make sure it hasnt been warped.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:07 AM

sound like a head gasket. check to see if the car smokes a little (white smoke).