Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help Passing Pennsylvania Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help Passing Pennsylvania Emissions

I need help passing Pennsylvania emissions. I just moved from NJ to Bucks County and was hoping to get the whole <5000 mile emissions exemption, but I have to pass emissions completely first. Here are things that I know will fail:

1. No cat
2. Open dumptube
3. Re-routed PCV system
4. OBD2b converted to OBD1

Obviously I asked some local shops if they will pass me for a price but they aren't down for that. I don't have the stuff I need to convert it back to stock either. If anyone can help me out that would be sweet.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at least glad to hear not everyone can be bought...

Anyway, my advice would be to undo all the things about your car that a dumping poisons into the environment and you'll be able to pass just fine. Mehbe that is obvious, but for some people it's the last thing they'd think of.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SVOboy)

I think the biggest thing would be to put a cat on temporarily.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: (LShatchie)

hi flow cat, and good o2 sensor
don't drive it rough hopefully the cat will be enough to clear the emissions
Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Passing Pennsylvania Emissions (aalb1)

Good luck. Just installed my turbo system, but I had emissions done right before I installed it.

I'll be running into those exact same problems next year tho. Unless I can get the emissions exempt < 5000 miles.

I'm not sure what to do about the ecu tho.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SVOboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm at least glad to hear not everyone can be bought...

Anyway, my advice would be to undo all the things about your car that a dumping poisons into the environment and you'll be able to pass just fine. Mehbe that is obvious, but for some people it's the last thing they'd think of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A year from now I'd be perfectly legal... A year from now I can run an opendownpipe and be perfectly legal. It's just that I just moved from Jersey and I have to jump through all these hoops just to get it passed.

PA will not pass a OBD1 car that was originally OBD2. So if someone can successfully mount a 93 SOHC Honda engine into a 2000 Mustang frame, it would fail... not because of safety issues but because of OBD issues. I'm having the same problem with my car.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MugenHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MugenHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hi flow cat, and good o2 sensor
don't drive it rough hopefully the cat will be enough to clear the emissions
</TD></TR></TABLE>

They don't sniff the tail pipe... they plug a machine into the ECU and scan for codes... If you don't have any codes you pass. My problem once again is that I need to be OBD2b because that's how my car came out of the factory.

I just can't put everything back to normal because I don't have an OBD2 engine on hand.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aalb1)

bump for you you. I'm sure someone has some answers
Old 08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96ex)

No one has any more tips
Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96ex)

Well it depends what year car yours is exactly. Here in the great state of PA if the car is a 1995 or older vehicle they only do a visual inspect (i.e. cat). If it is a 95' or older vehicle just put a cat on there and i would say reroute your dumptube into the exhaust and make sure your O2 sensor is good. If it is then the OBD conversion and stuff I wouldn't think would matter. Now if its a 96' or above vehicle i would suggest swapping out that motor or find a guy that doesnt give a f**k to pass it for ya.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well in the wonderful state of pa if your car is obd2 you are screwed it has to have the stock motor with a stock ecu cause they plug it in if no check engine light you pass
Old 08-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for 50 bucks my car always passed
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xfrankx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xfrankx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for 50 bucks my car always passed </TD></TR></TABLE>

Word...
Old 08-19-2005, 04:06 AM

Pays to know people, or yOu pay to know people!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:10 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (length)

Quit being teases and someone just PM him the answer. That's all he's looking for.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SVOboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm at least glad to hear not everyone can be bought...

Anyway, my advice would be to undo all the things about your car that a dumping poisons into the environment and you'll be able to pass just fine. Mehbe that is obvious, but for some people it's the last thing they'd think of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im gonna have to co-sign on this. I know that taking a metaphorical shyt on the enviornment is worth the 2½ HP that you get from all this butWhy not just simply UNDO everything you did or make it back to stock specs?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quit being teases and someone just PM him the answer. That's all he's looking for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He said himself whats going to fail:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aalb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. No cat
2. Open dumptube
3. Re-routed PCV system
4. OBD2b converted to OBD1
</TD></TR></TABLE>

He already has the answer. Its just not the answer he wants.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (FuNkDrSpOt)

I'm talking about what he really wants...
Old 08-19-2005, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm talking about what he really wants...</TD></TR></TABLE>

he wants a cheap and easy way around it, i.e. paying someone off, finding a stipulation that can get him off the hook, a way fake it like he has all those things done, etc. Essentially he would like to poison you, me and my dog for the sake of 3 hp. *gasp* cant breathe!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im just wondering (cause i dont know) why the check engine light comes on with an obd2 motor in an obd1 car. My friend has an obd2 d16y8 in his 93 civic and it works fine with no engine light. Please let me know why yours throws a code. My understanding (though it might be wrong) is that if you have an obd2 motor in your car with all your obd1 sensors on it, it will run fine and not throw any codes. But if you have an obd2 motor in your car with the obd2 harness and sensors you most likely are running an obd1 P28 or P06 ecu that has a conversion harness connecting the two. My question is why is there any codes? and if there is codes why not get a person good with uberdata to dissable whatever code its throwing to pass the inspection if you dont wanna go changing everything? I would fix the few things that are def. illegal with the visual inspection (i.e. no cat), get the code dissabled, and take it for inspection. Would that work?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 AM

"he wants a cheap and easy way around it, i.e. paying someone off, finding a stipulation that can get him off the hook, a way fake it like he has all those things done, etc. Essentially he would like to poison you, me and my dog for the sake of 3 hp. *gasp* cant breathe!"

NOOOO... I LOVE MY DOG!!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rabius)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rabius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"he wants a cheap and easy way around it</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand him wanting it to be cheap and easy but i think this would be easy. The only way i think he would have problems in PA is if he has an OBD2 car with an OBD1 motor in it. Im still not sure what he has, but im thinking OBD1 car with OBD2 motor in which case my understanding is that he would be fine.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Need Help Passing Pennsylvania Emissions (aalb1)

you will have to go back obd2b, put on a cat between o2 sensors, fix all ur codes before u will pass if u dont do it this way u will fail or u have to know the right people
Old 08-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

emissions is definately a biotch...i gotta deal with that in 2006 (although ill be good for 2 years and will be swapping in my OBD1 motor/ECU in place of the OBD2 junk) sounds like you have an OBD1 engine in your obd2 car...don't think youll ever be able to pass legitimately (someone needs to create and OBD2 emulator) and you WILL need to BUY a sticker... as for the reasons that an OBD2 ECU will not run on OBD1 motor is because there is a couple sensors missing that are needed for "self" diagnostics.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicMike)

In PA, any '95 and earlier car only needs to pass visual inspection, plus gas cap test(makes sure it holds pressure). Any '96 or later, OBD2, needs to pass visual test, gas cap test, plus emissions test. The emissions test consists of plugging the OBD2 port into the computer and see if there are any codes. PA does not "sniff" the car. You've already listed what's wrong with the car. Fix those items, and as long as you're not throwing any codes, it really doesn't matter what ECU you have.

Quick Reply: Need Help Passing Pennsylvania Emissions