Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help Painting my Lip/rocker panels

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Painting my Lip/rocker panels

k, i'm just wondering what u guys would suggest for painting my front lip and rocker panels [aka stock side skirts], i can get my stock paint mixed at a local shop, and i was thinking that it's probably better using my air brush with a can of paint rather then getting them to put the paint into areosol cans. ANYWAYS what would u guys suggest for prep etc.? should i use a primer? what kind of clear coat? and how many layers? all help is very much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Need Help Painting my Lip/rocker panels (sniperslayer)

well here it goes..

Materials Needed:
heres some of the materials, all in all i used: 320 grit sand paper, thinner, vsm basecoat + reducer, clearcoat + activator, and an adhesion promoter spray

<U>Step One:</U>
remove your lip and/or sideskirts... which is pretty simple, if don't know please IM me or e-mail me (kmc0154@gmail.com)

<U>Step Two:</U>
Get the 320 grti sand paper, and sand it down, makre sure it does not thicken so use water... keep using water.. you'll know when it is done ..(glosssy is gone)

<U>Step Three:</U>
I Adivse you to use two seperate paint spray guns or two different cans .. one for acutal paint and clear coat and other for your primer

<U>Step Four:</U>
Use your can with primer and prime your lip and/or sideskirts. Let it dry, do not try to speed this up.. let it dry well.

<U>Step Five:</U>
After the primer is dried, use the 320 grit sand paper and sand it down, not too hard this will make your primer to come off, just enough where it is smooth like baby's ***

<U>Step Six:</U>
After it is dried, get your base paint and spray it until you are satisfied... let this dry well, do not touch it, or let anything fly down or landing on it... this should be away from any danger yet where there is a lot of sun and/or heat.

<U>Step Seven:</U>
After the paint is done drying up spray your clear coat and let that settle down..

<U>Other Info:</U>
for plastics i add an adhesive promoter, talk to your local body shop, auto shop or where you bought the paint, they sell it.
Someone told me they can mix the clearcoat with the paint & paint it that way, but i do the other way, i never did it by mixxing them so i can not give you a feedback on that.

<U>Food for thought:</U>
make sure you have enough time to do this, and good weather also if you do not have a shop. i used an air compressor with professional paint sprayer....

<U>Contact:</U>
AIM = Riceandweed
MSN = ej6ferio@hotmail.com
e-mail = kmc0154@gmail.com
Old 09-23-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Need Help Painting my Lip/rocker panels (FeRioR$)

what he said....Id use a real spray gun. You could use just one spray gun and clean it out really really well(take it apart anc use brush and laquer thinner). Also if you get a gun a 1.3 should work for laying the base and clear down. IMPORTANT...use flex additive or else the paint will fall off easily. DO not mix brands or lines of paint if you want quality results. Spray in a clean booth. You can lightly damp the garage floor down to keep dust from coming up and in your finish. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Painting my Lip/rocker panels (MulletManRockStar)

thanks alot you guys, in the first 2 replies i've had more help then 20 replys from other forums haha
Old 09-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Painting my Lip/rocker panels (sniperslayer)

good info