Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help on exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on exhaust setup

I'm looking forward in buying a OBX twin loop muffler for my coupe. It will not have a cat, but I'm not sure if I should run a resonator or not? And what size piping I should go for my d16z6? 2.25" or 2.5"?

I'm looking for a really good sound, not so farty, raspy and obnoxious when cruising. My current unknown exhaust is to damn loud, and I have to crank my radio to max to hear my music.

If you have a problem with sohc and you dislike em, please don't waste your time in commenting this thread! Just need some suggestions in what I should use.

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on exhaust setup

anyone?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on exhaust setup

Originally Posted by Jdm03
I'm looking forward in buying a OBX twin loop muffler for my coupe. It will not have a cat, but I'm not sure if I should run a resonator or not? And what size piping I should go for my d16z6? 2.25" or 2.5"?

I'm looking for a really good sound, not so farty, raspy and obnoxious when cruising. My current unknown exhaust is to damn loud, and I have to crank my radio to max to hear my music.

If you have a problem with sohc and you dislike em, please don't waste your time in commenting this thread! Just need some suggestions in what I should use.

Thanks

Mike

Hope you have your flame-suit on. (not from me, though)

Sounds like we're going for similar things. I also have a D16Z6, and want a nice deep (as deep as a 4cyl inline can get) tone with no rasp or "farting" sound. A more mature sound, if I may. Run a resonator, period. If you don't, the high frequencies travelling through the exhaust pipes will be too much for the muffler to contend with...and rasp will be present. A resonator will help squelch most of the high frequencies. And add a cat if you can.

Personally....I don't like the OBX twin-loop. I'd rather buy a used Mugen twin-loop. Used $400-600. The 2 people I knew who had the OBX had issues after a few years (raspy, hollow canister sound developed). Maybe they both had bad mufflers, I don't know. All I know is that I wasn't impressed. I've heard very little if any complaints about the Mugen twin-loop.

I have a 2.25" mandrel with my Mugen teardrop and a Walker resonator to keep the rasp under control. So far, so good. Only the good tones come through the tail pipe, and the rest is eliminated. There is no drone when cruising at any speed, and I'm only reminded of the sporty tone when I nail the accelerator.

If you can't go for the Mugen twin-loop, I'd get the Yonaka catback, which can be had for I think a little over $200. I don't know much about the longevity if you're looking to keep your exhaust for years, but this seems to be a decent setup for the price (and Stainless steel too). Or Apexi WS2 muffler. Both have exhaust tips that don't mirror a CD in diameter.

Hope this helps a little.

http://www.aptuned.com/YMCB004