Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help with d16z6 buildup

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with d16z6 buildup

I have a 94 si with 190000 miles on it. One of my friends recently got a b16 swapped into his 95 ex and he is giving me the motor and tranny. I'm planning on doing a build up of this motor then I'm going to swap it into my car. So far, I know I'm going to get a head package from Exospeed, but I was wondering what I should do for pistons and rods. How much power can the stock rods handle, and are there any oem Honda pistons that will up the compression? I don't really want to have to modify the block at all, so if there arent any Honda pistons that will fit then I guess I'll just have to shell out the extra money for some aftermarket ones.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: need help with d16z6 buildup (ugly_si_hatch)

Don't waste your money going all-motor SOHC.

Turbo it if you want it to be quick/fast, depending on how much you want to spend.

Turbos are always better, HP/$.

Old 03-22-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: need help with d16z6 buildup (boostincoupe)

Yeah, I'd turbo that badboy.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:48 PM

STR sheet metal Intake manifold and 120 N20 Wet shot is your friend also, I would use P29 Pistons and LS Rods Shot peened, with the head I would go All crower Internals and Crower stage 3 cam then your bolt ons with an agressive Port and plolish and 3 angle valve job on a good CERTi Machine ... Goood amount of HP enuff to whoop up on modded ITR's 2 NAWWZ bottle are recomended Due to the Fact that 120 is fun Get ready to say PEACE OUT to Newer vettes I got a friend who has the almost same build except with JE pistons and Eagle rods with a nurformz Black guard and Romps on B16a powered EG's With bolt ons BAD, Alltogh Bracking tracking at WOT in 4th gear gets annoying
Old 03-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't waste your money going all-motor SOHC.

Turbo it if you want it to be quick/fast, depending on how much you want to spend.

Turbos are always better, HP/$.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
absolute truth here man. i spent like almost 2 grand on my d16z6, and it dynoed at 115whp. man what a waste of money. now im gonna spend 2 grand on a turbo setup and have at least 180whp
Old 03-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: need help with d16z6 buildup (CivicSiRracer69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">STR sheet metal Intake manifold and 120 N20 Wet shot is your friend also, I would use P29 Pistons and LS Rods Shot peened, with the head I would go All crower Internals and Crower stage 3 cam then your bolt ons with an agressive Port and plolish and 3 angle valve job on a good CERTi Machine ... Goood amount of HP enuff to whoop up on modded ITR's 2 NAWWZ bottle are recomended Due to the Fact that 120 is fun Get ready to say PEACE OUT to Newer vettes I got a friend who has the almost same build except with JE pistons and Eagle rods with a nurformz Black guard and Romps on B16a powered EG's With bolt ons BAD, Alltogh Bracking tracking at WOT in 4th gear gets annoying </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm still faster for less, stunna. And more reliable. And getting better gas mileage. And sounding cooler.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with d16z6 buildup (ugly_si_hatch)

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm
you can see what compression you will have with various honda parts. i would suggest turboing it as well as far as the cost/hp ratio
Old 03-23-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: need help with d16z6 buildup (lohatch)

Thanks for the help. I kinda wanted to see if I could get my sohc to run some decent times without forced induction but looks like it's really not worth it. I'll probably just pick up a greddy kit and add a front mount and leave it at that.