Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEED help with a car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED help with a car purchase

first question - why are private party sellers so hesitant in receiving personal checks? if the check clears, then isn't everything fine

2nd - if i pay with a personal check and wait till it clears and transfers to the seller, how do i know the seller won't run away with my money (is it illegal)

3rd - how do i protect myself from getting scammed when paying with a personal check
Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NEED help with a car purchase (tekniq)

Never ever pay with a personal check... If you have the money, you go to your bank and get a cashiers check, its as good as cash cause its a check from your banks funds and itll go straight into his bank...
Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: NEED help with a car purchase (tekniq)

If you have the funds in your account, just make a cashier's check. It makes things much easier for both parties.

Personal checks scare sellers because the check can bounce. If you do plan to pay with a personal check, get all of the seller's info (phone, address, etc.).

But if I were you, get a cashier's check.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NEED help with a car purchase (BlueIntegraBoy)

Even a cashier's check sometimes causes problems. Usually a seller will be hesitant on receiving a cashiers check since they are so easy to make. It's gonna be the same with a cashiers check...best thing to do is, if you have to write any kind of check, tell the seller to meet you at one of your bank's branches and have him cash it there right away for cash...it's from your bank, and that way if anything goes wrong with the check, you can resolve it since it was cashed at your bank.