Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help asap on these UCA bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap on these UCA bolts

A while ago when i first got my car i was unaware on how easy it is to strip thread....

Now a year later here i am tryin to get these bolts out in order to rethread the thread but they simply DONT COME OUT...

ive tried many old tricks in the book but nothing has work out...and its been raining every other hour and im really frustrated....so help me out here HT

here is a pic of the two bolts to refresh your memory...

Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 PM

i'm going to assume you have tried using air tools?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecftw)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecftw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm going to assume you have tried using air tools?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahahahahahaaaa....
Old 03-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Harryflores)

yup...used my impact just...i get a better result by using a ratchet...it actually feels like its about to start coming out...ive also just a crobar to pressure behind the bolts.....if you know what i mean...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tobe1424)

i dont know, pb blaster, soak it a couple of times a day for a couple of days, breaker bar, breaker bar with pipe at the end, impact....

it will eventually come out (or snap off) and if that happens you can just drill it out and tap it out
Old 03-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowEGchris)

well it spinds so i non of those tools would help i need either some type of technique or how would that drill and tap work?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you are experienced with a tap and die set, i wouldn't recommend trying it yourself.

what i was saying is if you end up breaking the head of the bolt off, you could drill the rest of the bolt out, and re-tap the threads to make a spot for a new bolt to fit correctly in.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same with my front bumper, previous owner tighten it REALLY DAMN HARD (what the hell was he thinking?) but anyway. My trick was to get a chisel, sand both corners, now you should have 2 flat sides. then pull hard with wrench. If it still doesn't come out, sand more, and apply some dw40 if possible
Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Drill the bolts if they arent coming out.

Hit the "10" dead center with a 5mm bit untill you hit the core and use a chisel to remove the bolt head.

Then use a bolt removal tool to extract the core out of the threaded hole. (Autozone may have something)

This is a last ditch effort btw, especially if you have tried all of the above.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTiCSi)

well i have a pretty good tap and die set...but my theory is that if it spins freely in there, even if i drill and tap it wouldnt it still spind in there.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh so you're saying the bolt spins, just wont thread out?

if this is the case, see if you can get something between the head of the bolt and the body and pry outwards while you use an impact to back it out.

if the bolt is simply just seized up in there, then just try all of the above stated
Old 03-24-2007, 05:15 PM

ttt...BTW is tobe1424 writting from my friends user name. i tried that...thats what i said some where up there but i forgot to use the word pry....doesnt work either man...it feels like its going to come out but it doesnt really....so what can i possibly do....i really dont want to distroy the car with a plasma lol...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saturnracing2)

bump for this dumb "thread" lol
Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for an unsolved problem
Old 04-16-2007, 06:12 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Need help asap on these UCA bolts (tobe1424)

I'm going to assume that there was either a welded nut on the backside that broke off, or the bolt is just cross threaded so badly that the threads are now missing on a portion of it causing it to just spin but not back out.

If it's the welded nut. You could drill a hole on the backside large enough to get a socket thru, which i'm not even sure is possible in that position (car is not here to verify).

If it's cross threaded. You could cut the head off and possibly drill out the rest.

If it's not either of those, then you're just SOL...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 PM

I know this may sound nutz (no pun intended) but really try this..... try tightening the bolt. go very little in the direction as if u were to tighten it, i mean like maybe 1 hair or 2, make it move, then go backwards as if trying to get it out, this works alot of the times when bolts sometimes seize together, u break that bridge off by doing that and u might have a chance of taking that bolt off, just try it, it might work
Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tear the head off the bolt and screw the remaining shaft into the hole until it falls out the other side.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help asap on these UCA bolts (JV)

ttt....im kinda afraid there was a welded nut on the other side...but sometimes when i go to a local junk yard and i check out a honda that the UCA have been taken out, it doesnt look like it is a welded nut... My next step is to try and cut the head of and try to work from there... but ineed to be careful wit what i do because this is a daily driver and i cant afford to be left w/out a car for sometime....

BTW if it is a welded nut and the nut falls off.. What can i do...how can i possible connect my UCA's back on...?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt...can i just drill through the head without chopping the head off the bolt...i kinda dont have a good enough grinder....

Any other opinions?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think there is a nut on the other side.

i can call my boss at the shop to look at one of our civics (its chopped in half right at those bolts.

ive looked at it before, and dont remember a nut being there, but my memory isnt all that great either.

i cant call till after 3 30 pm est tho
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help asap on these UCA bolts (92ehatch)

ok i called. it was hard for him to tell on the car even tho it was cut in half at the fender well, but he said that it appears there is a nut welded on the other side that the bolts thread through.

you can do what archidictus said, but i dunno how you will put a nut back on it
Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you try pulling the uca downwards while loosening the bolt?? put some pressure on it and maybe that part that broke inside will catch onto something and you'll be able to get bolts out.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you try pulling the uca downwards while loosening the bolt?? put some pressure on it and maybe that part that broke inside will catch onto something and you'll be able to get bolts out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tobe1424 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...ive also just a crobar to pressure behind the bolts.....if you know what i mean...</TD></TR></TABLE>

he has already tried that. either way , if that nut broke off then the big problem is not getting the bolt out, but a new one in
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92ehatch)

ttt....Thanks i appreciate you getting that info for me...you kinda had me happy when you said there wasnt a welded nut on the other side...which is what i thought as well.

But apparently there is....i dont know exactly if its a welded nut that broke off...or the thread is really bad....but since if tried a bunch of things other than cutting the bolt off...im starting to believe that welded nut broke off and im afraid im going to litteraly have to cut the car apart to put those welds back....

So thanks a million there 92ehatch...BTW this pass newyears I went to ashville and gatlingburg....awesome place..

WOW sometimes i feels like trading my civic with my "rotas" for another one
Old 04-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what you could try is, cutting out that whole panel there, reweld the nut back on, then weld that panel back in and respray the fender well with something to keep it from rusting.

i had the same thing happen on my ac bracket mount (front lower motor mount)

i just puched a hole in the frame rail and put a wrench on it.

Quick Reply: Need help asap on these UCA bolts