Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need advice on lowering my del sol!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on lowering my del sol!

Ok i've got a 93 del sol s and i'm looking to lower it to improve the handling most of all but for looks too. I don't know much about suspension but I think i've found a decent setup. My question is since i'm new at this is this all i need? and probably more importantly will it work?

I've heard skunk2 is a good brand so thats why I decided to go with them.

Adjustable Coilovers:
http://www.skunk2.com/mm5/merc...-0740

Sport Shocks:
http://www.skunk2.com/mm5/merc...-1210
Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost every member on this site swings on the nuts of Koni and Ground Control, so expect to hear that come up eventually.

Skunk2 doesnt make the greatest shocks, but they work.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you're going for looks, I'd go with a set of ground controls and whatever shocks you want since they're cheap and adjustable.
And good luck. I'm just starting on my 1993 Del Sol S as well.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (supersteven)

i hve s2 pros s's on my eg i like them...i heard tein has a nice ride so im thinking about changing...just do your research and see what fits your best
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Need advice on lowering my del sol! (RedRevolver)

skunk 2 are great. .. i have coilovers on my , but do not lowered too much because the tranny was hitting the pavement..also have 17" Tenzo R, wheels and Falken thin tires.. it'll give you a good look without lowering it

Modified by sorullo at 7:55 PM 6/27/2008
Old 06-27-2008, 07:13 PM

by the way if you lower it too much, your car will bumps too much..

Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Need advice on lowering my del sol! (sorullo)

ok i found the ground control coilovers here:

http://www.ground-control-stor...CA=55

are these the ones you guys were talking about? cuz there a bit cheaper and if most people here use them then they must be pretty good right?

As far as the shocks go i'm still looking but not finding much. Some help there would be good since the ground control coilovers dont list the skunk2's as a shock choice.

Also, on all this stuff, does that always include all four? like the GC's are $300 for all four?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 PM

yeap you can use that ones.., but if you want to savbe some money.. not need to buy new shocks used the stock ones . you can do what this guy did.. put some bypass rubber hose betwen the shocks and the coilover..i did it on one of my 89 crx and works great not problem with it!! check this link.

http://www.villacorte.com/miat....html

but if you want u can buy the right shocks for you car. if money is not a issue.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 PM

ok so i think i'm set on the ground controls, those look good enough but I need to figure out what shocks before i buy them. I don't wanna go on stock shocks cuz that would be a bumpy ride, but I'm havin troube finding some decent priced ones.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:57 PM

ok well if you don't wanna go skunk2 , go tokico shocks they are really good and they are adjustable.. go here

http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/TokicoGasShocks/

and if you want to save more money just go on ebay ... you'll find brands like tokico, agx, skunk2, dropzone, etc.. for a good price.

Modified by sorullo at 9:03 PM 6/27/2008
Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 PM

here... this could be your last resource..

http://search.ebay.com/search/...&fgtp=

Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM

oh yeah the illuminas!! i forgot about those thanks haha. i'll look some stuff up later time to go for now.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM

I think the best set up for your sol is, tokico illumina/ Ground control coilover, because those tokicos have adjustible shock settings.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sorullo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeap you can use that ones.., but if you want to savbe some money.. not need to buy new shocks used the stock ones . you can do what this guy did.. put some bypass rubber hose betwen the shocks and the coilover..i did it on one of my 89 crx and works great not problem with it!! check this link.

http://www.villacorte.com/miat....html

but if you want u can buy the right shocks for you car. if money is not a issue.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Terrible idea.

If you plan on changing to a quality coilover sleeve such as Ground Control, you need to upgrade your shocks. GC/Koni is one of the best tried and true combo's you can get...especially for the money. They are 5-way adjustable, and have a lifetime warranty. Not too mention, they have a very comfortable ride on the street, even on the hardest setting.

Also, one of GC's best qualities is that you can choose custom spring rates to further benefit your quality of ride for track purposes, daily driving, slammed, etc.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Need advice on lowering my del sol! (1995Civic)

yeah i know about that. there is always pros. and cons. with everything, but he is on a bugget and he just care about the look . nothing else. so there is his answer!! what can i do.. i'm not going to put the money for him.. !!
by the way shocks are shocks and coilovers are coilover .. if he only need it for fun and look.. i told him the right thing to do.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you do get your coilovers, make sure you slam it all the way to the ground so that you scrape you oil pan while driving normal.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sorullo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i know about that. there is always pros. and cons. with everything, but he is on a bugget and he just care about the look . nothing else. so there is his answer!! what can i do.. i'm not going to put the money for him.. !!
by the way shocks are shocks and coilovers are coilover .. if he only need it for fun and look.. i told him the right thing to do.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um...no kidding shocks are shocks, and coilovers are coilovers

And nobody said you were spending the money for him, are you retarded? Just because he is on a budget, doesn't mean the correct way of going about lowering a car is by replacing his stock suspension w/ a coilover SLEEVE on stock shocks.

To the OP: In all honesty, if you are really on that tight of a budget to where you can't do you suspension the correct way by replacing both the shock and spring, you should seriously just wait.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what 1995Civic said ^^^^
dont listen to that ricer that keeps on posting his JEEP on this thread!!!
seriously if your on a budget, just wait and save up for a good set up not some ebay crap!!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (jtfc3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtfc3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what 1995Civic said ^^^^
dont listen to that ricer that keeps on posting his JEEP on this thread!!!
seriously if your on a budget, just wait and save up for a good set up not some ebay crap!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha Jeep!

Ahh...too funny
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (1995Civic)

yeah i wasn't planning on going without shocks. I am on somewhat of a budget but I'll save up a little more if I have to in order to get the right stuff. And i'm not going for just looks if you read my first post I specifically said the reason was, "i'm looking to lower it to improve the handling most of all but for looks too". So yeah. Anyways i'm gonna look at those illuminas right now and see how they are, and try to find a good deal on the konis.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedRevolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i found the ground control coilovers here:

http://www.ground-control-stor...CA=55

are these the ones you guys were talking about? cuz there a bit cheaper and if most people here use them then they must be pretty good right?

As far as the shocks go i'm still looking but not finding much. Some help there would be good since the ground control coilovers dont list the skunk2's as a shock choice.

Also, on all this stuff, does that always include all four? like the GC's are $300 for all four?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was thinking about getting these for my del sol as well... do these just replace the spring part of the assembly??
Old 06-28-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Need advice on lowering my del sol! (obuhmyuh)

yeah these are just slip on coilovers so its just the spring part, you want to get shocks with them, don't listen to that sorullo guy above. It's possible to do it without shocks but your not gonna have a very comfy ride thats for sure. Koni Yellows are the best i'm working on finding a deal on them right now. $450 seems like the lowest but i'm a stickler so i'm still trying to find them cheaper. I guess the tokico illuminas are pretty good too, their a bit cheaper but i've decided i'd rather spring the extra $$$ to get the Koni's so that i do it right.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedRevolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah these are just slip on coilovers so its just the spring part, you want to get shocks with them, don't listen to that sorullo guy above. It's possible to do it without shocks but your not gonna have a very comfy ride thats for sure. Koni Yellows are the best i'm working on finding a deal on them right now. $450 seems like the lowest but i'm a stickler so i'm still trying to find them cheaper. I guess the tokico illuminas are pretty good too, their a bit cheaper but i've decided i'd rather spring the extra $$$ to get the Koni's so that i do it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have the tokica illuminas already , just lookin to upgrade my spring to a better one or adjustable would be even better, im running H&R stg 2 springs.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedRevolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah these are just slip on coilovers so its just the spring part, you want to get shocks with them, don't listen to that sorullo guy above. It's possible to do it without shocks but your not gonna have a very comfy ride thats for sure. Koni Yellows are the best i'm working on finding a deal on them right now. $450 seems like the lowest but i'm a stickler so i'm still trying to find them cheaper. I guess the tokico illuminas are pretty good too, their a bit cheaper but i've decided i'd rather spring the extra $$$ to get the Koni's so that i do it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude get your mind straight ,, you were asking for help and comments.. so do not criticize those who's answering your post,, if you'r going to post something be open mind that you'r going to recive differents opinios,
so looks like you already know about shocks and coilovers and still posting question like this.. if you already know, then don't ask!! and save some money and get good h&r or Eibach shocks.. or go Tein...
you guys look likes haters!! to everyone that post and answer..
Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 PM

ahh sry if i sounded a bit harsh but for some reason i saw that del sol with 17" rims and just formed an automatic bias towards you lol. so all bias aside, yeah i really had no idea when i made this topic the other day but some of the things you guys have said have been helpful in helping me figure things out. I've decided to go with the GC/Koni yellows combo even though its more than i wanted to pay. I've heard many good things from other people about this combo and well...thats that =D thanks for the help guys, including you sorullo!

Quick Reply: Need advice on lowering my del sol!