Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Advice in Dealing with Greddy for an Exhaust Warranty Claim

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice in Dealing with Greddy for an Exhaust Warranty Claim

I originally posted HERE to get advice with what I should do with my defective Greddy SP Exhaust. I created the above topic on July 17, 2004. It has taken until now, including 4 weeks of my car sitting in a Greddy Authorized Dealer's lot without an exhaust, to get to where I am now.

I originally took the defective exhaust to a Greddy Authorized Dealer (Rotary Performance in Garland, TX) and they took pictures and forwarded them to Greddy. Greddy granted a return authorization number (after stalling for 4 months and then losing my information) and the exhaust was sent to them on December 15th by Rotary. Greddy accepted the warranty claim on my SP and said that they no longer offer an exhaust with an application for my 98 Civic HB. They said they could modify one of their exhausts to fit or they would send a credit to Rotary Performance for me to put towards the purchase of a new non-Greddy exhaust. Rotary Performance figured that my best option was to get the Apexi World Sport 2. The check from Greddy would cover their wholesale price for the World Sport 2 and everything would be fine. So, now the exhaust should be coming in on January 11th (tuesday), but I am now told that I am responsible for all freight charges sending to them and back to me.

These freight charges (to and from) total to $68. I was under the impression that if I took it to an Authorized Dealer that they took care of all shipping. Once I expressed concern over the shipping charges, the shop said that Greddy would throw in a "Greddy jacket worth 40 bucks" (with me still stuck with the bill). Pretty much this exhaust has been screwed up for 6 months now and I have been without my car for almost 4 weeks so I feel like I shouldn't be paying anything out of pocket due to the inconvenience.

I have never dealt with a warranty issue like this so I am not sure what to expect and definitely don't want to be getting screwed here.

I appreciate all input you guys have for me.

Here's a repeat pic:
Old 01-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Need Advice in Dealing with Greddy for an Exhaust Warranty Claim (kent, clark)

Have you tried calling Greddy and telling them about your car being down for that amount of time and you feel that you shouldnt be paying a single cent for this problem to be fixed? If anything you should tell them to fix the exhaust and all the shipping charges and throw in the jacket for free for putting you through all this **** because of a bad product that they made. I think if you talk to them they will help you out. They are a pretty big company
Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 PM

seriuosoy i wouldnt pay a goddamn thing.you just tell them that if they want to get the courts involved for all the work you missed blah blah blah then fine go ahead and charge me the shipping fee's i wil see you in court.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PHOBIA)

Thanks for the responses...

I was given a Greddy contact from Rotary Performance and will be contacting him Monday. So I am right to think that I should not be paying for any shipping?

Modified by kent, clark at 1:18 PM 1/8/2005
Old 01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (kent, clark)

That sucks, if its their fault and they admit it, Greddy should be paying for all the shipping, especially since it was only sent there and nothing was sent back.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

Does anyone have any direct experience dealing with Greddy in a situation like this?
Old 01-07-2005, 04:47 PM

damn i remember seein this post over the summer, that sucks man
Old 01-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need Advice in Dealing with Greddy for an Exhaust Warranty Claim (kent, clark)

make sure you get in touch with gready and let them know this shop is charging you for shipping on the defect... they will take care of it. but make sure you tell them which shop. that way gready has a log of what they are doing. this is how some shops make extra money on the side. so make sure to let gready know this about the shop.

gready usually just credits the cost through the shops next shipment of gready parts.

and take that photos off people can see the photo in the thread that you have linked..it makes reading very annoying...
Old 01-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Advice in Dealing with Greddy for an Exhaust Warranty Claim

Anyone else have input on this?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GReddy SP bit the dust in the same way after ~3 years.

**** 'em.

$400+ exhausts need to last a little bit longer than that.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Need Advice in Dealing with Greddy for an Exhaust Warranty Claim (SkyeC)

WTF is that?? is that the stuff thats inside the cat, or is that actually inside the muffler??,, i know when guttin a cat that stuff comes out lookin like a brillo pad, but the actually muffler has that stuff? or did that come from the cat? i agree tho 400+ exhausts should deff last longer than that, and they should work alot faster because thats bullshit i've had cheap mufflers that lasted long
Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: Need Advice in Dealing with Greddy for an Exhaust Warranty Claim (dropd4door)

it's muffler packing.

the welds that hold the perforated core into the muffler break over time.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:45 PM

so wht hapens when that breaks? gets louder? anyless air restrictiing? lol
Old 01-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow.. I was looking at getting a sp2 from greddy but seriously... **** that.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: (ImportRacr05)

if you're getting a new exhaust, why are you complaining about shipping, you got that exhaust for 3 years now. most people wont even get a new exhaust
Old 01-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rathabun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathabun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're getting a new exhaust, why are you complaining about shipping, you got that exhaust for 3 years now. most people wont even get a new exhaust</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not complaining...I am just trying to understand if paying shipping is proper protocol for these warranty claims.

And yes, this material just fell out of the rear muffler and more was stuffed around the muffler tip.

This change in the exhaust made it pretty darn loud (relatively speaking) with a horrible highway drone.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Talked with Greddy....They say it is their policy to only cover outgoing shipping. So they are covering the outgoing shipping from Apexi (because they didn't have an exhaust for my application). So my total bill will be $34-ish. Still waiting on the Apexi exhaust to arrive to the shop (was shipped out Thursday morning).
Old 01-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Picked up the car on Wednesday. Paid the 34 bucks plus tax for shipping. The Apexi WS2 seems a lot quieter than the original Greddy SP. And the shop gave me a nice present of a two-foot crack in the windshield that they wouldn't cover. Glad to be done with this inconvenient situation.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kent, clark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Picked up the car on Wednesday. Paid the 34 bucks plus tax for shipping. The Apexi WS2 seems a lot quieter than the original Greddy SP. And the shop gave me a nice present of a two-foot crack in the windshield that they wouldn't cover. Glad to be done with this inconvenient situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf.. I've never heard of tax on shipping....

and the shop put a 2 foot crack in your windshield?!?! that's BS they NEED to replace that or sue them or do what I would do drive by and spray some bullets when no one there then come back the next day and be like "wow looks like somebody shot up the place...good thing no one was here, hey can I get my windshield fixed?"
Old 01-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ef_you)

i 2nd that sue there ***....
Old 01-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kent, clark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have any direct experience dealing with Greddy in a situation like this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since my GReddy S(hitty)P(iping) exhaust only had a 1-year warranty, they told me to go to a muffler shop and buy a universal muffler because "it's only like, 100 bucks." This was at GReddy's location in the Irvine area.

Everyone I know that has had an SP has had the interior perforated pipe break at the welds after 2-3 years. The cubes and steel wool then start blowing out gradually and the exhaust rattle gets louder.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: (Outrun)

Oh yeah, can you post pics of the Apex'i?

Also, they didn't have an SP2 application for your car?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outrun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah, can you post pics of the Apex'i?

Also, they didn't have an SP2 application for your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Greddy doesn't have a SP2 application for my 98 Civic HB. I can try to get some pics of the new Apexi soon.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Greddy sux when it comes to warranty. They try to dodge you and always "lose" your info. They get a big from me.