Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

N00B HELP .. EG Si - Changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N00B HELP .. EG Si - Changing spark plugs

i need to change the spark plugs on my 1.6 litre non vtec EG Si. I was wondering if there was a write up with pics on how to do it?

Or maybe someone could give me some pointers for first time DIY tips.

thanx
Old 05-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: N00B HELP .. EG Si - Changing spark plugs (timmya)

get the correct spark plugs to replace the old ones.. pull the spark plug wire up and the spark plug will be down in the motor and using a socket for sparkplugs remove and replace
Old 05-06-2006, 05:01 AM

Default Re: N00B HELP .. EG Si - Changing spark plugs (timmya)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1572250

there u go man... not being a di*k but next time search took me a whole 2 mins to find it.. hope it helps
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rachet w/ 5/8 (I believe) spark plug drive and a 8 inch (at leas) extension (I use flex rachets, but whatever works for ya)...

You should have a good 11 inches to the bottom w/ the spark plug socket w/ the extension from the edge of the rachet

Pull out the wire, let it just rest right next to the hole (if you aren't changing the wires), stick the rachet in that whole all the way, set it for loosen, and loosen up the spark plug, it'll unscrew, and come out in the rachet, u do that for all 4...

U take the new one, now some will say u have to gap them, u don't have to as u'll probably want NGK spark plugs for ur honda and if your having trouble with a spark plug change I'ma take the weird assumption you're not running a turbo charger or anything that might require different plugs....so u'll want regular NGK's for a honda civic (whatever model u have), u can pick them up at autozone, pepbooys, NAPA, carquest, etc. these'll come PREGAPPED, u will NOT have to gap them so if anybody says anything about checking the gap don't worry about it, u buy 'em for a certain car from a regular azz store like autozone, they'll be set for the right gap, don't worry about that

THen it's just the reverse procedure, drop it into the hole (make sure u know which way to put it in, but it'll only screw in one way anyways) (threads facing bottom), then tighten it, when u tighten it, you want to make sure it's going it REALLY easy, if there's a lot of tension in it, back out immediately, u do not want to cross thread it, if u put it in the socket of the rachet and just feed it down there and start turning froma straight angle it should catch fine and go in easy..some people say u need locktight or anti-seeze, neither are neccessary..., put the wiresback on and start it up...

Now usually when somebody changes the plugs they change the wires as well...

For the wires, u'll have them off already (to take the wire off btw u just pull and wiggle a little, same to put it on) -- Since this is probably ur first time as ur asking for a DIY u probaby never done it before, alright, so don't listen to anybody when they tell u to look at the diagram of the firing order or any stupid **** like that..

lay the wires out on ur engine so u can see which one's longest, second longest, third longest, and shortest, then just take hte longest plug wire off, and take it off where it connects to the distributor, throw it in the box, and put the longest one in it's place, then u do the same for the other ones....if you only have one disconnected from the distributor at a time, it's very hard to get the wires confused and in the wrong order....(they have to be in specific holes on the distributor, so just swap it wire for wire instead of taking them all out, then swap the main wire from the distributor (should be in ur box as well and plug right into the distributor, it's one of a kind when compared to the others) and u should be set

Pretty simple process, DIY aren't neccessary...but if u do it wrong the first time it can definately lead to bad feelings about a second time..I've seen too many people bring their cars in or go to their houses because they tried fixing something, did something completely non-damaging like mix up the plug wire order, get all scared and not touch the car, and jsut call us....so just do it carefully, do it right, so u'll be able to do it with ease the next time u do it

here's what u just g2 watch out for in a simple procedure like this

- Don't cross thread the plugs..which is hard to do...but really bad if u do...

- don't confuse teh wires, swap them one at a time

- to remove/put on a wire, wiggle and push, or wiggle and pull, it's only rubber that slides over a silver piece, doesn't screw in or anything, don't force it...you can leave half of hte wire behind :-P

- don't overtighten the plugs - just tighten them firmly, they aren't going anywhere, u don't need 400lbs w/ a breaker bar to tighten them...just nice and firm, leave it at that...

good luck I guess

and I hope this helps.....and if it doesn't and u have more questions, feel free to PM me or something...
Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 AM

^^ damn thats really long, nice job!
Old 05-06-2006, 06:01 AM

wow i didnt expect such a detailed response. Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. This forum is great. Thank you.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:03 AM

USE ANTISIEZE!!! sparkplug threads are steel head is alum. potential for enough corrosinto expletive threads up. i have seen it over and over again. its a bitch to get fixed. use it its cheap and good insurance. u shouldnt listen to anyone that says not to worry about it. sure you may not have a problemif you dont but you are way more likly. haveing worked in an automotive shop for four year i always use antisieze
locktight??? now thats ******* stupid
Old 05-06-2006, 06:15 AM

what is antiseize?
Old 05-06-2006, 06:30 AM

exactly what it says...its a anticorrosive thread lubricant can withstand 1600 degree temp
Old 05-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Banned

Default Re: (timmya)

Modified by CardDealer at 2:25 PM 11/16/2006
Old 05-06-2006, 07:08 AM

oh, does everyone here use it?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:44 AM

no you don't have to use it but it really does help out a lot when you change your spark plugs next time as they stated.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Re: (honda_civic1)

you can get a huge bottle of it for like 5 dollars that will last you a loooong time. Im an extremely broke college kid (thankfully i start work the day after finals), you cant be as poor as me, and I would still invest an extra 5 dollars to avoid my spark plugs getting melted into the head.