Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MYTH Busted ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon3 MYTH Busted ?

Okay, this might have been talked about in previous posts, but nothing good enough to satisfy me. Down in Montreal, the saying goes that if you don't put the highest octane gas available at the pump, IN YOUR JDM ENGINE, you're literally f*cking your engine to it's death. I've studied chemistry, still am, and I was wondering what the f*ck would 87/100 compared to 91/100 do to your engine that would be that bad ? The saying goes specifically for JDM engines, like mine.

Okay, if more octane entered the pistons for combustion, alright, more power, less residues. But, I have a practical mind and 4/100 more octane just doesn't make any f*cking sense fto me. Certainly not giving up an extra 3.00 - 5.00$ for nothing that I've ever noticed.

Unless the 4 extra octane molecules are actually superduperoctane, what's the point ?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Default Re: MYTH Busted ?

Looking at this from another angle :

Good stuff - (91/87)*100 = 4.6% increase ( I would'nt really give a sh*t )
Bad stuff - (9/13)*100= 31% decrease ( hmm ... yeah makes more sense )

... WHATEVER !
Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The anti-knock index is resistance to detonation. If you don't notice detonation with fuels of a lower anti-knock index , there is no advantage to running higher octane fuel.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGIan
Looking at this from another angle :

Good stuff - (91/87)*100 = 4.6% increase ( I would'nt really give a sh*t )
Bad stuff - (9/13)*100= 31% decrease ( hmm ... yeah makes more sense )

... WHATEVER !
What...?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the most common diff between the JDM and USDM engines is that the JDM engines have a vary slight increase in compression (.2 ish on most). so a higher octane rating would resist detonation better but i think it isnt needed on the factory JDM engines unless it calls for 91 instead of 87. unless someone is that concerned about detonation, then 87 is fine factory
Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

idk wat the hell those numbers mean but finally someone knows wat they are talking about when it comes to this whole gas situation

the only different between 87 89 and 91 is the process in which the gas is made.87 doesnt go through as much "thining" if you want to call it that.basically in ENGLISH WHAT IAM TRYIN TO SAY is that 87 is just a little thicker then 89 and a little thicker then 91

so thats why if you;ve noticed that when you fill up your "buckets"/"moms cars" with 87 gas seems to last better its because its thicker then 91.but its such a SLIM difference its not gunna kill your engine if you put 87 in say a JDM engine that swears up and down that you have to put 91/93 octance in your car of you'll MESS it up.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 PM

The number, at the pump, is the number of octane molecules versus other less valuable hydrocarbons. You know what I mean.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Yeah, okay, I was aware about the thickness issue, but the goal was to know if it was really worthwhile and that critical.

Thanks a bunch,
Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The number at the pump is the average between RON and MON. It's otherwise known as the anti-knock index. It's does not indicate the actual amount of octane molecules. Rather, it provides an equivalent.

If you can get adequate power from your engine on 87 octane, that is fine.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGIan
The number, at the pump, is the number of octane molecules versus other less valuable hydrocarbons. You know what I mean.
Not true, gasoline does not actually have octane in it anymore, at this point its simply a rating system.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87 is fine. The compression on the D15B isn't that much higher than a D16Z6.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sticking with premium.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lcsej1
the HIGHER THE OCTANE THE MORE EFFICIENTLY THE ENGINE IS GOING TO BURN THE FUEL(if the car requires it)
Why is that?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by lcsej1
the HIGHER THE OCTANE THE MORE EFFICIENTLY THE ENGINE IS GOING TO BURN THE FUEL(if the car requires it)
Your dead wrong, please don't post if you have no clue what you are talking about. The higher the octane doesn't mean ****, when it comes to burning. Octane is only there to help with combustion. ALL GAS 87-93 BURN AT THE SAME BTU. Which means, it all burns the same. It's people who are smoking crack that think they are getting better gas mileage out of 93, in a car that doesn't need it.

But if you have high compression yes, you would want to run 93. But in a d15b 87 is damn fine enough for it. No point in wasting money unless you have some power mods that you would want to run a high octane so you don't detonate.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to run higher octane in jdm motors only if ur running the j spec ecu, there is alot more timing advance and differant fuel trim on the jdm ecu, in japan there min octane is 101. if u run a usdm ecu ur fine
Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so ur tellin me if i run low 87 in a CTR swap its gonna downgrade its performance?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 AM

The antiknock quality of a gasoline is indicated by its octane number. The higher the number, the more resistant the gasoline is to detonation. The octane requirements of an engine are determined by combustion chamber design and compression ratio. However, the octane requirement changes with weather, altitude, and driving conditions. It can also be affected by changes in the mechanical condition of an engine:

*Reduced cooling system efficiency.
*lean air/fuel mixtures.
*over-advanced ignition timing.
*increased compression ratio.
*failure of an EGR valve.

So if your using a high octane gasoline with a car that doesn't need it you are wasting money.

and btw i was wrong on my last comment.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow4stock
Your dead wrong, please don't post if you have no clue what you are talking about. The higher the octane doesn't mean ****, when it comes to burning. Octane is only there to help with combustion. ALL GAS 87-93 BURN AT THE SAME BTU. Which means, it all burns the same. It's people who are smoking crack that think they are getting better gas mileage out of 93, in a car that doesn't need it.

But if you have high compression yes, you would want to run 93. But in a d15b 87 is damn fine enough for it. No point in wasting money unless you have some power mods that you would want to run a high octane so you don't detonate.
srry man no need to flame. thank God we have smart people like u here at H-T to fix the misinformation ppl like me give to others! we love you man!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Japan does have higher octane fuel; the general figure I've seen passed around is 95 octane minimum. One must be weary, especially when buying a car that's been tuned, running said car in North America. Too much timing, not enough octane = detonation. Even in my beater Neon the octane requirement is 91. If I put 87 or 89 in it, at low RPM and a good amount of load, it detonates like crazy. This is in a car with 9.6:1 compression. Imagine 11.0:1 with a mean timing map. If you can get away with absolutely 0 detonation, fine. It might be an idea to learn what detonation sounds like. Don't cheap out and risk a motor otherwise.
FWIW, Octane is RESISTANCE to ignition. Detonation is when the fuel gets ignited before the spark plug fires. Putting 91+ in a car that can't detonate even on 87 is a waste. You might even lose mileage and power because you are effectively retarding your ignition timing.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill add my two cents, i know my car runs much better with 93 tham 87. Im boosted and have seen the difference when my brother borrowed my car and filled it up with 87.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F20B-CX
Japan does have higher octane fuel; the general figure I've seen passed around is 95 octane minimum. One must be weary, especially when buying a car that's been tuned, running said car in North America. Too much timing, not enough octane = detonation. Even in my beater Neon the octane requirement is 91. If I put 87 or 89 in it, at low RPM and a good amount of load, it detonates like crazy. This is in a car with 9.6:1 compression. Imagine 11.0:1 with a mean timing map. If you can get away with absolutely 0 detonation, fine. It might be an idea to learn what detonation sounds like. Don't cheap out and risk a motor otherwise.
FWIW, Octane is RESISTANCE to ignition. Detonation is when the fuel gets ignited before the spark plug fires. Putting 91+ in a car that can't detonate even on 87 is a waste. You might even lose mileage and power because you are effectively retarding your ignition timing.
Originally Posted by romerosi
you have to run higher octane in jdm motors only if ur running the j spec ecu, there is alot more timing advance and differant fuel trim on the jdm ecu, in japan there min octane is 101. if u run a usdm ecu ur fine
FYI
Japan's 100 = Our 95 (well, if we had 95)
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teamworxek9
Ill add my two cents, i know my car runs much better with 93 tham 87. Im boosted and have seen the difference when my brother borrowed my car and filled it up with 87.
on boost you're supposed to run premium, that's why you notice a difference.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i am aware of this. was just putting up my experince. Ff a car manufacturer says you should use a high octane the use a high octane.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a jdm d15b in my 92 and here in Ontario i have always used 89
Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a single cam with a decked head and it was at around 11.5.1 compression and if i didn't put 93 in it it woud run like **** and spark knock all the time so maybe thats what they were tlaking about cause spark knock isn't good and if it has higher compression it might mess something up.

Quick Reply: MYTH Busted ?