Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My new car

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new car

My friend has a '98 civic... with a B20 swap, suspension work, and some other light mods... He never really drove it... and his mom just bought him a new truck cause he wanted one (go figure) Well, it is the kind of thing that I am into so I talked about taking it off their hands... and they were glad to... now all I have to do is save up for a little down payment... But what my question is what to do further to it.... there are so many options out there I don't want to mess it up.. I would like to get 300+ hp.... preferably mostly all motor... I am not sure if I want to go turbo or not yet... I just know that I am willing to dump money (as I get it) into it... and I want it to kick butt... I am up for any and all suggestions.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My new car (MattPM0000)

its already pretty good if it has a b20 in it
Old 02-18-2004, 12:51 AM

b20 and it was installed correctly, everything that is needed is there, just leave it there. that's pretty good there. but good luck.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:12 AM

Location: Kills Official Truck Quality Assurance Manager, USA
Default Re: My new car (distortedfuture)

Wow you started with a b20. I started with the d16 and I am still there.

O well you have torque and I have none. List the mods on the car in detail and you will get more suggestions on upgrades.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MattPM0000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> But what my question is what to do further to it.... there are so many options out there I don't want to mess it up.. I would like to get 300+ hp.... preferably mostly all motor... I am not sure if I want to go turbo or not yet... I just know that I am willing to dump money (as I get it) into it... and I want it to kick butt... I am up for any and all suggestions.</TD></TR></TABLE>
300hp might be possible but I doubt 300whp is possible (without tens of thousands of dollars to spend on the motor)
You stated it has a b20...is the motor stock or is it a b20 frankenstein with a vtec head...either way the b20 is known for having weak sleeves...if you are gonna rev the **** out of it or boost it (safely) you'll need to have it resleeved. You need high compression pistons (if going all motor) cams, header, ported & polished head, & then have it tuned on a dyno...have fun its very expensive. Also look into getting a better tranny (ITR or GSR or Si), Limited slip differential, Suspension, Brakes, & a better radiator & oil pump

If you have anymore questions please SEARCH (archive & recent) for these topics have been covered time & time again
Old 02-18-2004, 05:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: My new car (adirondackR)

Yes B20 and LS tech topics are all over the place. You will need boost to get to the 300hp mark whether it's flywheel or wheel horsepower unless you have a fully built no-so-streetable engine and you also have about $10,000.00 or more to spend like someone already stated.

Congrats on the score though - you'll like the low end grunt and midrange pull of the B20.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:39 AM
New User

sounds like a great deal for yourself man! Good luck and start saving up. The best advice I can give you that i would give anyone getting into cars... Dont buy parts for your car on credit, you dont want to be in debt over your car. Pay cash for everything if you can!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: (DroppedGSR)

Thanks for all your imputs... I know I have alot more research to do... but it is the frankeinstein b20 with the dohc vtec head... and the other mods do include koni yellow suspension, ebiach springs, 17"rims with tires, dc headers, high flow cat and a muffler (I don't remember the brand) and new radiator cap...
Mods that I had inmind to begin with were a new Tranny... I have been told that the Type R with limited slip was a good choice... On my old civic with a ZC swap I have a Si tranny... I don't know if they will swap though... and I wanted to do head work on it (Port & Polish, valves, springs, cams) and somone suggested getting sleeves... and eventually have the bottom half sent off to be worked on... maybe bored and have the crank polished and balanced... I have heard it is a good benifit to go to dry sump... but that is about all I can think of other than bolt ons... But if any of this is a bad idea let me know... and I will keep you guys updated as my progress goes on..