Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My hood won't open, this is urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My hood won't open, this is urgent! GONNA DONATE MY POS

This is what it looks like right now:

Is it still possible even if that piece of not in that place to hold it to get the hood open by pulling on the cable?

Latest update as of 6:17 Hawaii Standard Time

My thing is busted. It won't open at all. I've yanked and tugged and yanked and tugged. Is there any other way besides yanking on that cable that I can get my hood to open without using some type of saw to cut the hood off?

Is there any other way besides that little lever to get my hood to open?

My latch is all fucked up and I finally got my hood to close but now that I need to change a fuse it won't open up at all. Can anyone help me?

***EDIT***

I already tried pulling on the latch really hard and it didn't even budge.

Is there any other way to get the hood to just pop so that it's ONLY held down by the latch that you press towards the left to open the hood entirely?

I've been having issues closing my hood for some time now. The cable part right under the latch area is out of place.

If I can't do it myself I'm going to have to take it to a shop to have them do it. A friend already quoted me roughly almost $100-200.00 which would equate to about two hours of labor. Let me know please thank you so much guys!

Modified by Noct at 11:56 AM 9/28/2005

***EDIT***

I don't think I can reach underneath the latch area, I think my arms are too short. Is there another way?

Modified by Noct at 12:38 PM 9/28/2005

LOL I still can't get it off. It looks like that **** is on there for good unless I ******* cut it with a torch or some ****. Oh well, bye bye 93 Si hatchback. I guess I have no other choice than to donate this piece of **** of a car.

Modified by Noct at 6:08 PM 9/28/2005

Modified by Noct at 7:16 PM 9/28/2005

Modified by Noct at 2:55 PM 9/29/2005
Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Trial User

Default Re: My hood won't open, this is urgent! (Noct)

the hood release inside your car is broken?
if its the release just get some pliers and pull on the cable.

edit***
(im an idiot)

have someone push down on the hood and then pull the hood release and see if it will pop that way...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 AM

If you jack up the car on the driver side, and take off the front rim and the wheel well plastic gard you will find the hood cable. If you pull or twist the cable it might pop open the hood. I had the same problem and that worked for me. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: My hood won't open, this is urgent! (D_V_S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D_V_S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you jack up the car on the driver side, and take off the front rim and the wheel well plastic gard you will find the hood cable. If you pull or twist the cable it might pop open the hood. I had the same problem and that worked for me. Good luck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I would do.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm yanking on the hood cable and nothing is happening. Is there any other way to make my hood pop open?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My hood won't open, this is urgent! (JDM-EJ1)

or u can just get under the car and move the latch to open and viola... that happend to me your hood cable is probably no good no more... just get a different one at the junkyard and when u put it back on relocate the wire somewhere else instead of under the fender .. for security purposes pm me if u have anymore questions
peace
Old 09-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there any other way besides that little lever to get my hood to open?

My latch is all fucked up and I finally got my hood to close but now that I need to change a fuse it won't open up at all. Can anyone help me?</TD></TR></TABLE> haha it's very simple. There are two ways:

1) under your drivers side fender, behind the inner fender piece you will find the cable. Pull it towards the rear and it should pop. If it doesn't try the next one.
2) get under the front bumper (dont worry about getting dirty) Stick your right arm under and reach by where the latch is at. Try to feel for a cable and when you find it, pull it outwards and it should pop right open.

If doing the second one dont burn your arm with the exhaust manifold. When I did my arm rubbed my hot *** headers and peeled some skin off. let us know what happens
Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have to push down on the hood of my crx then have some one pull the little lever
Old 09-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr_Si-R)

that wont work if cable is busted.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: (Noct)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm yanking on the hood cable and nothing is happening. Is there any other way to make my hood pop open?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cut the latch?

Get a pair of needle nose plyers and pull as hard you can to right if your under the car.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you go under the front end and mess with the latch you can get it that way
Old 09-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: (Mr_Si-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_Si-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you go under the front end and mess with the latch you can get it that way</TD></TR></TABLE>

He doesn't need to 'mess' with the latch. He needs to pull the cable and get it to open that way.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

did you already try yanking cable directky by the latch?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT for new info
Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TTT for new info
</TD></TR></TABLE>

We just told you what to do, now go try it. It will work, trust me.. I've done it.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

***EDIT***

I already tried pulling on the latch really hard and it didn't even budge.

Is there any other way to get the hood to just pop so that it's ONLY held down by the latch that you press towards the left to open the hood entirely?

I've been having issues closing my hood for some time now. The cable part right under the latch area is out of place.

If I can't do it myself I'm going to have to take it to a shop to have them do it. A friend already quoted me roughly almost $100-200.00 which would equate to about two hours of labor. Let me know please thank you so much guys!

Modified by Noct at 11:56 AM 9/28/2005

***EDIT***

I don't think I can reach underneath the latch area, I think my arms are too short. Is there another way?

Old 09-28-2005, 01:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">***EDIT***

***EDIT***

I don't think I can reach underneath the latch area, I think my arms are too short. Is there another way? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Grow longer arms?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hondaciv95VX)

dude it isnt that hard u just jack up the car a little, get under the car, and move the latch then the hood pops open... trust me your cable is screwed up.. so pulling on it and doing all that crap isnt gonna get it open... u need to open it thru the latch.. if you actually take it a mechanic to OPEN a hood... u shouldnt even own a honda...
Old 09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im sorry, but thats the only way i know to do it
Old 09-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hondaciv95VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaciv95VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Grow longer arms?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-28-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: (fizeks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fizeks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude it isnt that hard u just jack up the car a little, get under the car, and move the latch then the hood pops open... trust me your cable is screwed up.. so pulling on it and doing all that crap isnt gonna get it open... u need to open it thru the latch.. if you actually take it a mechanic to OPEN a hood... u shouldnt even own a honda...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you've ever looked at the latch in the closed position (which you obviously haven't because what you just stated is entirely worthless), it would be VERY hard to open the latch in the closed position when being under the car. Sure, you could probably get it with your hands if it was right in front of you.

You need to pull on the cable, HARD. The cable is wrapped in a plastic tubing, so the cable isn't directly exposed. Get a pair of plyers and pull on that bitch as hard as you can. If your arms are too short, or you're not strong enough have someone help you. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you've ever looked at the latch in the closed position (which you obviously haven't because what you just stated is entirely worthless), it would be VERY hard to open the latch in the closed position when being under the car. Sure, you could probably get it with your hands if it was right in front of you.

You need to pull on the cable, HARD. The cable is wrapped in a plastic tubing, so the cable isn't directly exposed. Get a pair of plyers and pull on that bitch as hard as you can. If your arms are too short, or you're not strong enough have someone help you. Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you! I'll def. try this when I get home.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:06 PM

uppin2see if u got it, gl
Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you've ever looked at the latch in the closed position (which you obviously haven't because what you just stated is entirely worthless), it would be VERY hard to open the latch in the closed position when being under the car. Sure, you could probably get it with your hands if it was right in front of you.

You need to pull on the cable, HARD. The cable is wrapped in a plastic tubing, so the cable isn't directly exposed. Get a pair of plyers and pull on that bitch as hard as you can. If your arms are too short, or you're not strong enough have someone help you. Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol how are u gonna tell me im wrong when the same thing has happend to me? and how are u gonna tell me its very hard? all u do is use a flathead and move the latch over as if its being opened.. u need no force whatsoever..whats so hard about that? pulling the cable itself wont work since the cable is no longer good since its been streched too much( hence why the hood wont open, theres no pull) i told him what to do. no need for you to say my post is worthless. if it was so worthless i wouldnt have wasted my time trying to help him
Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 PM

and the arguements continue. just give your OWN advice and stop judging

Quick Reply: My hood won't open, this is urgent!