Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My honda has a startup problem... please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My honda has a startup problem... please help.

Hello out there,

I just need a word of advice. I have a '98 Honda Civic, DX. And it had this problem since I bought it. The engine light goes on periodically, a lot of times I have problem starting it, takes me a few times (sometimes even 15 minutes). The engine dies everynow and then and goes off, usually withing the first 5-10 min of driving or when I stop at traffic lights, stop signs etc. Sometimes when I drive it I can feel the resistance in the acceleration. I've had the car checked 5 times, nobody could figure out what the problem is. I've changed the spark plugs, the fuel filter and a few other things and the problem still persists. What I need your advice on is what place I should go to check that out. I really don't want to spend too much on it since I am sure it's a little problem, the question is finding out what is it. And I really don't want to go to a place that will try to randomly replace parts untill the problem is fixed even the ones that don't need replacing. That's how the price is getting jacked up and I am being ripped off. I just need to go to somebody who knows hondas of that year really well that can figure out the problem for me. Please help me out.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My honda has a startup problem... please help. (hondakat)

If you haven't done this, you might want to take it to the dealership or someone who can actually hook your car up to a diagnostic machine to see if your car is throwing any codes.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: My honda has a startup problem... please help. (Del Sizzle)

Thanks Del Sizzle,

And sorry I forgot to mention, since that would make sence to do, the first thing I did was taking it to a dealership (unfortunately I bought it from a cadillac dealership) and they had their own mechanic to check it for me. It was run on their computer several times and the only problem that was shown was engine missfire. That still didn't help. They changed the spark plugs, restarted the computer and after a while the engine light went on again and the problem was still there.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Taking a Honda to a GM dealership is not a good idea. True they are mechanics but the don't specialize in Honda service. Go to Honda were they might be able to take care of you.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

The best way for us to help you would be to find out what code is thrown by the computer. Even if the CEL goes off it still should be stored in memory. Under your dash board by the passanger side kick panel there will be a 2 pin connector. Take a wire and jump the two terminals. Then turn your key to the on position. Don't start the car but watch the CEL. It will blink to let you know what diagnostic trouble code you have. Long blinks signify numbers larger then ten. For example, if it has one long blink and two short ones then the code is 12. Find out what code the computer is giving you and let us know, we should be able to narrow down what it is from there.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My honda has a startup problem... please help. (HondaFanatic708)

Old 07-07-2004, 05:37 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: My honda has a startup problem... please help. (Del Sizzle)

hey don't mention it, I thrive on trying to help other honda fans further themselves whether it be tuning or fixing. I know my **** would always be sittin' in the driveway if I didn't have a helping hand every now and again. Well my factory service manual certainly helps out a lot too.

BTW: I don't have a service manual for the 98 civic, but DTC #'s are usually similiar, if I can't help you I know someone on here will be able to direct you to the problem area based on the DTC.