Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My girlfriend broke my car - heat doens't work anymore

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My girlfriend broke my car - heat doens't work anymore

Ha, well I'm not really sure what exactally she did, but apparently under the passenger side of the dash theres some sort of level that you can flip with your foot. She accidentally hit it and thought it was fun to make it hot and then cold, "it's hot, now it's cold, etc...."
So i'm not exactally sure what happened, but she did this right before we pulled into the restaurant we were eating at. When we left the heat just never came on.... everything else was normal, the temperature gauge rose and was sitting just below the middle like always.
Not really sure what to check... but my AC does work, i kinda freaked out and had to check that just in case since summer is coming. Is there some compressor or something that broke because she was switching it back and forth so fast or what??

Any help is much appreciated.... thanks guys. Ha, and just to say it now I don't need any, "Slap that bitch," remarks.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: My girlfriend broke my car - heat doens't work anymore (imitati0n)

Look under your hood, near the battery but to the right and down, there should be a black canister and below that a hose going into a metal housing near the firewall below it. Located on this metal housing there is a small metal handle sticking out that can be pulled and pushed forward. It's the heater valve, control switch or whatever you want to call it cause my head hurts to much to hone in on the specific name, but anyway, have her or someone move the lever inside of the car on the heat switch to cool or hot to see if you see it moving. If not, move the handle manually and see if you get your heat back.

Chances are she probably just kicked off the interior cable that wraps around the plastic lever on the inside of the car. The cable has a circle at the very end of it, all you have to do is get down and look near the area below the dash and behind where the stereo would be and you should see a plastic tee off looking piece hanging up, put the cable back over it. You'll know if the cable is off, there will be a lot more free play in the hot/cold switch that you use to control the temperature.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My girlfriend broke my car - heat doens't work anymore (INVALID)

Yeah, i did notice a lot more play in the temperature slider... it was moving a lot easier than normal. Thanks for the help, i'll be sure to check it out first thing in the morning (when there's light).
Old 03-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: My girlfriend broke my car - heat doens't work anymore (imitati0n)

Make sure when you get down to look, you do it from the passenger side floor, if you were on the floor, look towards the left and it should be near that back right edge of that black plastic box behind the stereo.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never let other passengers touch the options on the dash... thats why most sports car have their dash faced the driver side... only the driver can adjust things inside the car... i like the DA integra dash over the DC because of the dash thats faced towards the driver... check the switch that opens the coolant through the heater core.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM

yup .. invalid is right .. if the slider is smooth .. then the hook is not on the passenger lower side .. you'll see it ..