Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My girl blew a fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My girl blew a fuse

i posted hits in A/S/V and that forum is so DEAD......anyway so yeah i dont know much about wiring and electrical **** that much but my girl blew a fuse somewhere on her 04 civic- she was trying to put a head unit in, how do i find out which fuse it is, what shows you that its blown? and its hard to replace, no? can i do it myself with minimal wiring/electircal knowledge? thanks for any help
Old 06-04-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: My girl blew a fuse (Sl0wEH2)

look under the dash for the fuse panel. You should see a fuse listed as radio. Just replace with once of the same range or lower.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look under driver side under steering wheel there should be a fuse box, and then pull the cover off and it will show you a diagram of the fuzes and what they are for and find the one for the radio/dash she probably over loaded it while hooking it up while it was on or trying to tap whires while car was running, and it could also be that she tapd the wires wrong. the way to tell if a fuze is gone is to guy buy a fuze tester for a couple bucks and check them , if not pull fuze out and a good one has a little metal looking bar that gos from one prong to the other to power it and if you have to much power or surge it can break it , but no biggy just replace,

hopefully that helped
Old 06-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg64u)

thanks for the quick responses, should i get the fuse from honda? she actually blew the fuse for her keyless entry some how and her guage backlights are dimmer than usual, and i THINK the radio is blown too but she never even got it to work before the found out she had a blown fuse
Old 06-04-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: (Sl0wEH2)

the radio fuse is tied into the same circut as the radio, the fuse will be iether marked as the radio fuse under the dash er the back up fuse in the fuse box under the hood, all should be well after replacing the fuse there might be a poss that she might need to program her keyless entry. ( i doubt it but i've seen it happen before) as far as the radio it's self goes, did she get a aftermakrt harness to connect the wires er did she attempt to splice into the stock harness? she might of crossed some wires, or maybe have a poorly terminated connection.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flip b18b)

ok now im REALLY pissed....we replaced BOTH fuses (under the hood AND steering column) and PLUS we replaced the fuse for the wire harness in the head unit, made sure ALL wires were connected, pushed the "reset" button on STILL no dice...any ideas? my only guess would be the wires are bad but i dont have a voltometer available to check the right now....any suggestions????
Old 06-05-2004, 05:56 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Check ALL fuses under the dash and in the engine bay. Also double check your wires. http://www.installdr.com if you need a wire guide. Remember to always disconnect the negative battery when working with the electronics, too.

Goodluck.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (clm)

how would it make a difference if another fuse was out? the HU should still work right? i also replaced the power relay fuse
Old 06-05-2004, 06:08 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Often times the fuse description doesn't include everything that's connected to it. I think I once blew a horn fuse or something and it killed the dome light (or something weird to that extent). Either way, it's worth checking and hoping it's the problem because otherwise she may have killed her HU.

Have you tried reconnecting the stock unit?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try connecting just the essentials on the deck to see if it works, ie yellow and red and black wires.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:17 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock fuse what was the rating on it? 10?
who installed the radio?
was a wire harness used or was the wires spliced?
its possible theres a short in the wiring to blow it in the first place.
get yourself a test light from walmart or somethin for 5 bucks and retrace to the power wire for the radio. see if its getting any juice, also check the ground to the radio. if the ground is a good ground, and the power wire is getting juice, then check the radio.

if your not getting a power from the +12v on the radio harness, retrace that wire back to the fusebox. if the 10 keeps blowing you might need to put a 15. its possible whoever hooked it up wired it wrong and you already blew the headunit.
if your not getting a ground, then reground it.

to check the headunit. take a direct (FUSED) hot wire, and a direct ground and connect it to the radio's harness to see if it gets power.

and what power relay fuse did you replace?
what the hell is a power relay fuse
Old 06-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no we havnt tried her stock unit, and i know the didnt disconnect the neg. terminal when working with it, i dunno why the **** she didnt just keep her stock unit, it already has a cd player and looks so much better IMO, i asked her why shes even ******* with it and she said "i wat a pretty one".... :rollseyes: women
Old 06-05-2004, 06:18 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IVI)

pm me if u need help further>
Old 06-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IVI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IVI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the stock fuse what was the rating on it? 10?
who installed the radio?
was a wire harness used or was the wires spliced?
its possible theres a short in the wiring to blow it in the first place.
get yourself a test light from walmart or somethin for 5 bucks and retrace to the power wire for the radio. see if its getting any juice, also check the ground to the radio. if the ground is a good ground, and the power wire is getting juice, then check the radio.

if your not getting a power from the +12v on the radio harness, retrace that wire back to the fusebox. if the 10 keeps blowing you might need to put a 15. its possible whoever hooked it up wired it wrong and you already blew the headunit.
if your not getting a ground, then reground it.

to check the headunit. take a direct (FUSED) hot wire, and a direct ground and connect it to the radio's harness to see if it gets power.

and what power relay fuse did you replace?
what the hell is a power relay fuse</TD></TR></TABLE>
a wire harness was used
the fuse in the wire harness is a 15ALL wires are connected perfectly including yellow, red and black
i think it is possible she blew the HU because she said they got it to work for a couple seconds and the lights flashed then it went off, or maybe it was just the fuse blowing...IM STUMPED, i think im just gonna tell her to take it to best buy or some **** cause its pissing me off im not good with this ****
Old 06-05-2004, 06:34 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

pm'ing now