Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My first really slow turbo Build, no response on forced induction,

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first really slow turbo Build, no response on forced induction,

Hello Everyone, i been on h-t for awhile now, been doing work to my 1997 hx for awhile, got everything done this last week that had to be done which included suspension, exterior work, interior, work and everything i wanted to do before the turbo except for the exhaust which will be done, when i bring my block into the place to do machine work, so here is my story for the people that care and what to read it, if you don't just skip down thanks and sorry. Well i am a full time master student with a almost full time job, I don't have that much time to do stuff so I usually take a long time to get things done, i do a lot of the work myself, because its just so fun to learn this stuff, but when it comes to the turbo, i will most likely have it installed at my place, I am first going to do all the internals, install the engine and break it in and then while breaking it in get the turbo parts. I plan on running a D16y8 i picked up blown from one of my friend, and hope to hit around 320hp, and retain PS, and AC, because its dam hot in New York in the summer, its not a nice hot, it a sticky nasty hot, and I use my car a lot. Well this is the things that i have on my list so far, I try to help anyone i can on this site, but now i need help for my self, from people that have done or have more knowledge then me, because when i don't know something i ask so thanks to anyone that helps me out, I will try and make this thread a constant one, and when i do the work i will post some pics, but I do things slow so it may be a very long time before everything that i want is done., I am dirt poor so i have to buy things as money comes in full time tuition for master's work is *** expensive and its draining my pocket and i am trying anything in all to not take loans. Well this is what i have on my list so far

--Eagle rods
-- Vitara pistons 8.5.1 Link to buy from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Yes i know its ebay, but this dude is a great seller and i have had some people say great things about him so please don't flame me on that, if you have a better supplyer please let me know it would be great thanks
--- Gasket rebuild kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...photo
--- Skunk 2 Cam gear
--- Walbro 255 LPH fuel Pump
--- Skunk 2 retainer's and Springs
--- Arp head studs
--- act 6 puck disk and high pressure plate
--- ACT light weight flywheel
--- Y8 tranny with new ISB and OBX LSD if i can find it, i still am looking for a decant Y8 tranny if anyone has, i currently have a 95 dx in my car with a new ISB, but i dont want to really use it, due to the gear ratio's
--- I dont know if i should get a aftermarker intake manifold, or if the Y8 is good enough, if you guys tell me to get a new one i will probably go with a skunk 2 one, if i can find one on the for sale threads.
--- shaved crank pulley by the shop
--- P28 chipped with conversion harness, please let me know if this will let me run the car without the turbo when I break the car in, because i have no exp on ECU's
--- AEM fuel rail, with injectors that i don't know, please help me out, i want to use a T3/T4 and hit 320 horses, but this is later when i put the turbo on soo i guess it dosent apply right now

This is everything that i have on my list, i want to start to buy stuff but i had to ask you guys first because i like to double check everything first

I know that the y8 has trouble with the water pump, but i am working with what i have so please dont tell me to put a z6 in it because i cant, I am not worried about emissions, but i would like a cat, if that helps at all, its easy to get a sticker in new york if you know the right people, this has nothing to do with the set up, but i thought that it might help,

I will probably either update this thread when i need help or bump it, please try to deal with me this few months, because when i finish and have the exp, i will not hesitate to help anyone that asks for help. i don't really care if you flame, it does not bother me and i will not take it to the heart, my internet feelings are not apparent, and i don't care what a person on the other side of a computer has to say so please try to re frame from putting anything on this thread that has nothing to do with my setup and is aimed to try and hurt my feeling, because you wont.

Thanks H-T, and sorry for this long reading.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Default Re: My first really slow turbo Build, no response on forced induction, (Historyg)

well got a updated list, with the help off the people on d-series, i dont know who is actually reading this, but its good to post this anyways because i can actually watch my own build, and if anyone needs some advice on building a y8 they can look here
ok so i redid my list so this is what i have so far please feel free to smack me in the face if something sounds silly.

---Walbro 255 lph fuel pump,
---Eagle rods
--- Vitara pistons 8.5.1
--- Gasket rebuild kit, going to go with a hondata head gasket, i hate them, but i heard its really good, any suggestions, the rest i will go with a rebuild kit i found online that is really good and not to pricey
--- Radiator, i dont know any good ones, i want to keep ac so i dont know if that matters, help me out if you want on this subject
--- Skunk2 cam gear, i know it doesn't matter, but i can pick up one for cheap so might as well
--- going with the KMS retainers and springs off this d-series, i dunno if i should go with the full set with valves
--- stock fuel rail is great i heard, but i need 550-650 injectors anyone know of good ones i don't want to cheap out so let me know thanks
--- Arp head studs (A must going to pick them up soon)
--- LSD motorsports 6 puck sprung heard a lot of good things about them
--- Light weight flywheel prostreet 12 lbs i heard to light is bad
--- Y8 tranny with obx lsd found some on ebay for regular price and a new ISB i sent mistabone a email hopefully he will get back to me, i am still a noob on d-series so i dont know if he will do the work for me
--- I heard the intake manny is good for the job, but if i find a edl for cheap on the for sale threads ill pick one up, i might go with a z6 intake mani, not sure insight please thanks
--- i dont know what throttle to use i head the b series bolt right one, not sure
--- no shaved crack pulley heard it was fine in weight
--- p28 chipped on chrome
--- Toga hv oil pump to help with the oil starvation problems 190 shipped not to bad, for a big issue,
-- I decided to go with a z6 crank shaft to just shave that oil starvation problem all together,

started on the POS tonight

5 mins later

crap *** springs and retainers

the good old crank shaft nut, mister *******

showed him whos boss, with a good old Ir 600 pounds

tired

well i got the head off and took off the oil pan, got tired will take pics in the morning, my friends came over to change some 1.8t seats out so we ended up bull shitting the whole night, i am going to post pics of the motor, not sure what happen to it, it was my friends and he said he blew it, but i don't see any bent valves, the rods are ok and the cylinder walls are fine, well ill leave it to more exp people to check it out when i upload the rest of the pics night guys and gals, the flaming should start any time soon.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM

well ok, i posted this in forced induction, and i got only one response, it really sucks, i know this is more of a forced induction, things but the response on there is so slow, and i really wouldt mind some insight from you guys because a lot of you a knowledgeable. here are the updates, took the engine apart, which was blown didnt see anything wrong with it, cylinders are ok, valves are not bent, must be in the block then, well that is why i am going to post the pics here you go guys

cylinders look ok, besides all the carbon build up, the motor was my friends from a 1999 ex,

cylinder's again

tell me if you see anything bent because i dont

again

again

one more time

nasty *** valves

more nasty valves

last one

My head on the floor, no its the engine head

oil pan off

my first part for the turbo set up

Hope i cant still use it, i think i can just cut it off the pipe and send it in to my turbo guy to have him weld it on, I got it off my friend, and no it was not stolen it came off his car, after he blew his turbo sold it to me for dirt cheap, well i actually didnt pay him yet, i want to see if it work first.

well that it for now, i am doing this bymyself for the first time, with just a helms and my own useless brain, i stop occasionally to read some of my history books, but thats about it, well flaming should start soon after i put this up now that its one the tech site. when i get more time i will take the block apart and post that up, night guys and ladies.

Modified by Historyg at 8:11 PM 1/13/2008
Old 01-13-2008, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (Historyg)

i got this response from one honda tech person and i thank them a lot

-OE Honda headgasket, not Hondata
-stock valves will be fine
-The Y8 mani is better than the Z6
-A Bseries TB will bolt right on
-Precision injectors are what we like to use.

Autoworks thanks for the help, i will be picking up the turbo setup from them thanks again
Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

out of curiosity why is the y8 mani better than the z6?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Reject Papi

Default Re: (DCSportEJ1Civic)

nice thread. keep us posted i would like to see where and how this goes, i'm in the market for a sohc civic (cheap and reliable), and would like to see somone else do this first.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 AM

i really dont know which intake manny is bigger, i hear the y8 is fine and some say the z6 is good to, i will probably just stay with the y8. thanks for the post guys
Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 AM

You don't need springs/retainers or valvetrain unless you plan on putting a bigger cam in there. There have been tons of 400+whp setups running stock heads and stock IM's.

Keep the Y8 manifold just because you don't NEED a new one. I think that if you are on a budget, you should spend your money where it counts, the turbo setup and the block, and of course, the TUNE.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Del Sex)

I agree, stick with the y8. It's supposed to be slightly better in the mid rpm range and the z6 in the upper. I think the difference is so minor though especially with FI it really doesn't matter.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM

so the y8 intake manny is the way to go thanks again, at least that saves me some money.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:05 AM

I'm not going to bash you for buying some stuff on ebay, sometimes you get a great deal on some great parts.. But as for the gasket kit, it is worthless. I bought one for a civic i rebuilt and the head gasket and valve cover and rear main started leaking within a month.. I would go to honda and buy factory gaskets, and I would go order a Cometic head gasket, I'm running 22psi and mine has held up without any problems.. good luck man
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you also might want to get the hondata IM gasket while you have it apart. A good cheap way to keep heat soak off your head.

You might also look into buying a z6 head as well, as they flow a little better than the y8 from what I hear (I still have been waiting on flow sheets).
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM

ok guys new question, wondering if i should go with a z6 head, i did do a little research and wondering it it does actually flow better or its just not going to make that much of a difference, if so i am going to start and look for a z6 head
Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would get your vitaras from user "fjt" here on honda-tech. You may also want to consider a set of 75.5mm vitaras, because the 75mm ones fit a bit loose in the bore. That way, your machinist can set the piston to wall clearance to whatever you would like. Also, Instead of pricy Precision injectors you may want to get some DSM 450's although they will be pretty much maxed out after 300hp. You could save a bit of money by getting rods from tunertoys instead of the eagles, they're comparable in quality. And I would also nix the valve springs, you don't really need them and they'll really rape your budget.