Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

For my first ever Honda project ever: Civic B18 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For my first ever Honda project ever: Civic B18 swap

Its probably the most commonly done swap of all time, but I figured it would be best for my first tuner project (I'm a former Muscle Car convert)

I picked this bad boy up on its way to the scrapyard, and I'm gonna give it new life.
2000 Civic EX. Forgive the lame project name, I thought it was cool

Project Dubious
Name:  KrI2VFG.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  2.29 MB
Name:  LmoO2BP.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  1.77 MB
Name:  4uhNJnD.jpg
Size:  819.7 KB
Name:  IzMsQmC.jpg
Size:  1.69 MB
Name:  Li8BYk6.jpg
Size:  1.68 MB
Name:  6ETqfBq.jpg
Size:  1.47 MB
This side was annoying as crap. The Axel, no matter what we did, refused to become unattached from the hub and knuckle. The hydraulic press just dug a whole into the center of it. We had to fanangle the whole thing out together, knuckle, axle and all.
Name:  IccqxJA.jpg
Size:  1.49 MB
Name:  WiyfJay.jpg
Size:  1.66 MB
finally pulling the engine out
Name:  XApnyCA.jpg
Size:  727.1 KB
Name:  OExezBM.jpg
Size:  1.53 MB
This is how she sits as of 9 May 2014.
Name:  VTVDD5S.jpg
Size:  1.67 MB
And finally, this is the baby thats gonna go in it (Its currently sitting in a 90 integra 1800)

I'm in no real hurry to get it running, and the to-be-swapped engine is pretty old, so I'm thinking of rebuilding it. I have boost in the back of my mind, and I'm having a feeling I should do it now while everything is all out in the open.

veteran thoughts appreciated. thanks for viewing!

Last edited by Timd234; 05-10-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: For my first ever Honda project ever: Civic B18 swap

Somewhere in the faqs it shows you how to post pics.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Somewhere in the faqs it shows you how to post pics.
thanks!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Judging from the last picture, I'd definitely rebuild if youre going to go boost. From what I've been told (take it for what its worth) the piston rings on those A1 blocks dont hold for squat. But, you're off to a splendid start so good luck!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:07 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by mybikeisblack
Judging from the last picture, I'd definitely rebuild if youre going to go boost. From what I've been told (take it for what its worth) the piston rings on those A1 blocks dont hold for squat. But, you're off to a splendid start so good luck!
Compression test it
Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Compression test it
Originally Posted by mybikeisblack

Thanks for the input. I was definetly leaning the rebuild path. Most people seem to suggest going to the stock route....can I just go to a honda dealer and ask if they can order me the parts or a whole rebuild kit? Who are some good aftermarket names I should at least look into?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Timd234
I can't figure out how to post images so here's a link to the album

http://imgur.com/a/9QO5F

Using a MacBook, all I did was click on the picture and select "copy link". Then I pasted the link here and wrapped it in [img][/img] tags. The link for the first picture is https://i.imgur.com/KrI2VFG.jpg.

Do that for each of your pictures you want to post. Make sure to use the preview post function to ensure everything looks the way you want it to before submitting it.

Looks good.

eH.

Last edited by eHMxhACk; 05-10-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
Using a MacBook, all I did was click on the picture and select "copy link". Then I pasted the link here and wrapped it in [img][/img] tags. The link for the first picture is https://i.imgur.com/KrI2VFG.jpg.

Do that for each of your pictures you want to post. Make sure to use the preview post function to ensure everything looks the way you want it to before submitting it.

eH.
Thanks! I was trying the whole HTML embed code. It's been a while since I've been in a forum, having spent the past 4 years on reddit. I'll change the original post.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

veteran thoughts appreciated.
Don't swap in a '90 - '91 B18A1, there are several things that make it a pain in the *** and not worth doing:

1. It's OBD0 so you're going to be buying a distributor and injectors. Plus you'll have to extend some wires for the fan switch.
  2. It's only 130hp, '92+ LS engines are 140hp
  3. You need an aftermarket mount kit and hydro to cable conversion kit (which never work right) to use that transmission, nevermind the fact that the '90 - '91 transmissions are older, weaker, and hard to find parts for.
  4. You still need to find a '94 - '01 Integra/'99 - '00 Civic Si shift linkage anyway.
Do yourself a huge favor and sell that swap to some guy with an '88 - '91 Civic and then buy a '94 - '01 LS swap, even a '92 - '93 with a hydro trans from a '94 - '01 would be reasonable.

Just take my word for it as someone that's done a lot of Honda engine swaps, you're making a very easy swap hard, sometimes it's better to just wait a little longer and spend a little more the first time.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I was definetly leaning the rebuild path. Most people seem to suggest going to the stock route....can I just go to a honda dealer and ask if they can order me the parts or a whole rebuild kit? Who are some good aftermarket names I should at least look into?
No, don't do that. You'll end up spending WAY more than you should. For a basic, stock rebuild, pull it all apart, have the block freshened up, inspect the pistons and rods and reuse them if they aren't damaged, replace all of your bearings, gaskets, rings, seals, head bolts/studs, and rod bolts, toss a new, quality timing belt, water pump, and tensioner on it, reassemble, and call it a day. If you want to get more power out of it in the future, replace the stock pistons and rods with forged pistons (Wiseco, CP, and Supertech are all good options) and Eagle rods, and continue as usual.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
No, don't do that. You'll end up spending WAY more than you should. For a basic, stock rebuild, pull it all apart, have the block freshened up, inspect the pistons and rods and reuse them if they aren't damaged, replace all of your bearings, gaskets, rings, seals, head bolts/studs, and rod bolts, toss a new, quality timing belt, water pump, and tensioner on it, reassemble, and call it a day. If you want to get more power out of it in the future, replace the stock pistons and rods with forged pistons (Wiseco, CP, and Supertech are all good options) and Eagle rods, and continue as usual.
Sounds good. I've got a lot of great resources at my disposal, and will be having some of the best help around. I'll definetly keep you guys posted. I'm having the new engine dropped off at the shop early this week...I'm sure I'll be running here for questions.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 PM

You might want to give my build thread a look-see. It'll have basically every bit of information you need for rebuilding an LS motor.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might want to give my build thread a look-see. It'll have basically every bit of information you need for rebuilding an LS motor.
Thanks man I'm checking it out right now! I also just picked up this book from B&N. I heard good things about it from this site, and I was looking for a detailed step by step rebuild guide.

How to Rebuild Honda B-Series Engines (S-A Design): Jason Siu: 9781932494785: Amazon.com: Books How to Rebuild Honda B-Series Engines (S-A Design): Jason Siu: 9781932494785: Amazon.com: Books
Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 PM

If you want a book to walk you through it, buy/borrow/download the factory service manual for the 94-01 Integra. It will quickly become your best friend.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want a book to walk you through it, buy/borrow/download the factory service manual for the 94-01 Integra. It will quickly become your best friend.
I have the Haynes Manual, the one with the blue integra on the front...is that what you're talking about?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Haynes Manual, the one with the blue integra on the front...is that what you're talking about?

Produced by Helm, Honda Factory Service manual. Or the equivalent for an Acura.

You can find free downloads on the net. I was able to find one on Craigslist for $15.

eH.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Word. I'll scour the shelves at work and at school again. That's how I found the Haynes manual.

Side note: it's really hard to focus on studying for my automatic transmissions final when all I wanna do is study for this project! Maybe I should have my internet disconnected for the rest of the night haha
Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, today has made me feel like an idiot....

After doing lots of research, I have discovered that what i THOUGHT was a B18A1, is actually a D16A1. The guy at the Junkyard (very friendly, not at all his fault) told me the Integra was an 89 or 90, he didnt exactly know. At first glance, and after sharing the pics with friends, colleagues, and even some people on here, we were positive that the it was a 90 teg with a B18A1....This past weekend I went back to the junkyard in an attempt to get the engine running before I left a down payment. Although it was unsuccessful (a rat or bird or something chewed through a fuel line), I was pretty confident in the fact that other than it failing to start, in the attempts to turn over everything seemed to move and sound alright...I planned on rebuilding it anyways. So i grabbed the VIN to check out some other specs for parts I made need, and, Lo and behold, its an 89 integra. With a D16 in it. WTH?! That looks NOTHING like a D series to me! (thats supposed to be a joke since i'm so new to Honda tuning haha).

Back to the drawing/searching bored....ugh. That was the only (what i thought to be) reasonably priced B-series motor in this county!

I didn't leave a payment luckily, but I was quite close. Just a reminder to DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Oh ****** christ, a rebuild is needed.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Uh, the motor you posted in that last pic is most certainly not a D16A1...
Old 05-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uh, the motor you posted in that last pic is most certainly not a D16A1...
Thats exactly what I thought, but I ran a google search... and this is what I found.

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f74...-2001-a-66263/

https://www.google.com/search?q=d16a...w=1350&bih=582

I couldn't believe it either, but the facts to me dont point that way
Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

The DOHC D has 4 studs/nuts holding the valve cover on, 2 on either side of the plug wires for cylinders 1 and 4.

Your picture is of a B series.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This D series IS a DOHC....read the first link I posted....and The second

Edit: Taken from a Tech Site

1988-1989:
Engine: (D16A1)
Cylinder Arrangement: Inline 4 Cylinders, Transverse
Type: Water cooled, 4 Cycle DOHC 16 Valves
Displacement: 1590cc (97 cid)
Bore & Stroke: 75.00 x 90.00mm (2.95 x 3.54in)
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Valve Train: Double Overhead Camshafts, Belt Driven
Fuel Type: Unleaded with 91+ Octane
Fuel System: Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
Horsepower: 118 @ 6250 RPMs
Torque: 103ft/lbs @ 5500 RPMs
Redline: 7000 RPMs
Fuel Cutoff: 7500 RPMs
Engline Block: Aluminum Alloy with Cast Iron Cylinder Liners
Cylinder Head: Aluminum Alloy
Old 05-18-2014, 02:33 PM

That's, uh...hmm. I'm not a pre-OBD Integra guy, but the only DOHC D series I'm aware of is the D16ZC. It's also entirely possible that I'm wrong - like I said, I don't deal much with things THAT old. Did you read the engine stamp on that motor? I'd give that a look before I condemned anything.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's, uh...hmm. I'm not a pre-OBD Integra guy, but the only DOHC D series I'm aware of is the D16ZC. It's also entirely possible that I'm wrong - like I said, I don't deal much with things THAT old. Did you read the engine stamp on that motor? I'd give that a look before I condemned anything.
I tried, but it was covered with a TON of dirt, grease, and grime. Its a 4 door sedan, family looking car, so I highly doubt there was any swap done on it. The VIN (which i think I left it written down at school) read that it was an 89 model. And, Like I posted, the 89 had the D16A1...Thanks for not making me feel like I was an idiot. After looking at numerous B and D series motors over the past few weeks, I was convinced this was a B.

Regardless, It's gonna be much easier to find at least an OBDI engine for this project, this was just gonna be a cheap, unique option (and the only "b" I could find around for a decent price). Im still looking, but I may have found a wrecked LS. Just trying to talk to the guy down to a reasonable price now (Whole car which is totaled is listed at 2500 atm....)

Quick Reply: For my first ever Honda project ever: Civic B18 swap