Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My first EG hatch build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first EG hatch build.

Hey everyone. Name is Will, im from Alabama, and this will be my first EG hatch build. I just bought a 1995 EG hatch last Thursday for 800 dollars. I bought it with 137k miles on the odometer, had front end damage, clean interior, and a decent looking body from the doors back. It has a stock D15 under the hood. As soon as I drove the car away from the girl I bought it from, I went directly home and took the hood, bumper, and both fenders off of it so I can put it in the body shop to have the radiator support beam assembly replaced. I have the hood and head lights already ordered.

My plans include

1) Full black interior with SI cluster
2) Turbo D16z6 swap as a DD (I have the motor in my garage already torn down for reassembly with aftermarket parts)
3) Full exterior stock JDM look with either a spoon, SI, OR Type R lip.

Now this write up will include step by step on what I'm doing and step by step pictures. I will also need plenty of help because I'm no master mechanic but I do know what I'm doing. Any parts help or suggestions is always welcome! I'll upload photos on Sunday from my laptop.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My first EG hatch build.

Good luck man!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I couldn't wait lol I hope this loads the images.

This is right before I bought the car.

As you can see the damage in the front. It's worse than it looks honestly.

Almost all the damage.

The main damage. The whole radiator support beam assembly was pushed in.

And after I got it home and before I took it to the body shop.

Hood should be in this Thursday and headlights should be in on Friday. I'll hopefully get it back from the body shop on Monday. They need the headlights to make sure that the support assembly is in straight. I'm still looking for a stock bumper cheap enough that's primer black, if I have to, I'll spend the 120 to buy a new one shipped. After the bumper is bought, I'll be saving up to buy the JDM OEM ones from Password JDM with the blinkers on them.

And this is the motor I'll be building.

I took these pieces off because I told myself if and when I was to build it I would buy aftermarket and replace them.

I've already got the motor completely torn down, going to start rebuilding it after I finish the body work while I pick up the all black interior and other pieces that will make the CX look more like a SiR/SI. If anyone has any thoughts about some "extra" things I could invest in, please feel free to do so. I like to discuss things about my build with others. I need to find some rear window strut stabilizers that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you need some parts, check out my fs thread. I've got a few black interior parts left if you're interested
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! I'll take a look now while I can. I found a SiR rear hatch conversion on JHS motors, but they wanted like 1400 dollars for it. I just need the panels and trunk compartment lol
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update for folks. I should be getting my hood today, my headlights tomorrow, and hopefully my car back on Monday if not tomorrow, depends on if the body shop did everything right in replacing the radiator support assembly. I'll upload photos of it while it was at the shop if the guy actually took them and what it looks like now. I just need to buy my bumper and my fenders now.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So are you going to address security before you build it?

Will be exciting to see where this goes. Since I own a hatch, other hatch builds always tickle my fancy!

Good luck with the build
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you mean by security adding an alarm, the yeah. if you mean like :WATCH OUT FOR THIS PART RIGHT HERE!!" of course. I feel that is the main purpose of build threads. to warn others of their future conquest. I'm a pretty thorough person, so everything I do should be pretty detailed. I can't do too much at one time because it is my DD, and I can't have it down too long especially with having a 9 month old son.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yes security as in a alarm....not safety, looks like you got that covered. Congrats on the kido.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you sir! But yeah, by the time I get ready to do the suspension, I'll have a viper alarm system installed with remote start and keyless entry. I'm hoping I'll have the suspension by mid summer. And I'm doing a change to the build. I'm gonna be doing a b16 install. Hopefully I can get one from the 2nd generation b16 SiR/SI JDM cars. Would authenticate the SiR feel a lil more.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zen_Life
going to start rebuilding it after I finish the body work while I pick up the all black interior and other pieces that will make the CX look more like a SiR/SI. If anyone has any thoughts about some "extra" things I could invest in, please feel free to do so. I like to discuss things about my build with others. I need to find some rear window strut stabilizers that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
Unless those side moldings were added to the car its a dx, not cx. cx,vx didnt come with side moldings.

Some extra things for oem jdm sir look would be....plastic stanley headlights, sir stanley fogs, sir stanley corner lights, and sir/ex/si front lip. oem sir tail lights dont have the side reflectors in them and look a lil better than stock usdm ones.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... I already some halo projector headlights. Needed them to be able to get my car out of the shop. And this Honda has no power steering, whereas my last 95 civic did and was a DX. Which is why I thought it was a CX. Which side moldings are you talking about? I don't know ALL part names lol
Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Power steering and a/c is optional from the factory in 92-95 dx hatch. I have seen lots that have no power steering but a/c, some that have neither, some that have p/s but no a/c.

Black thin moldings that run down the middle of the fenders, door, and 1/4 panel.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But punch your vin # into this and you can know for sure what trim it is...

https://honda-tech.com/vindecoder.php
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh those! okay. so its a DX. cool cool. and FedEx just drove by but didn't stop.... -_-' I want my hood.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my hood in today! oh yeah! I can't wait till I get my car out of the shop now! I should get my headlights tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And yeah, it's a CX model. Vin decoded.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. This is something that I tried searching for already. And unless it's tied into threads that are not named by what I'm searching for, then I'm likely to spend hours upon hours reading to get this answer. The question is, what parts do I need to do a full rear disc conversion on my 95 Civic hatch? I'm not going out to a junk yard and buying these parts. I will be buying them all from my local parts store. I honestly do not trust parts from a car out of a junk yard. I rather spend the extra money to get the warranty and the knowing that the part is new.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zen_Life
Alright. This is something that I tried searching for already. And unless it's tied into threads that are not named by what I'm searching for, then I'm likely to spend hours upon hours reading to get this answer. The question is, what parts do I need to do a full rear disc conversion on my 95 Civic hatch? I'm not going out to a junk yard and buying these parts. I will be buying them all from my local parts store. I honestly do not trust parts from a car out of a junk yard. I rather spend the extra money to get the warranty and the knowing that the part is new.
Just go to the junkyard and pull the rear trailing arms off.. Then order new trailing arm bushings, new rotors/pads and if you need them, calipers.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went to the junk yard and pulled the trailing arms and took everything but the rotors. Didnt replace the bushings (yet) and got new rotors and pads. Calipers and bearings where fine and its easy to tell if they are done. Your not going to find trailing arms from a local auto parts store.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

trailing arms off of what? what year and model do these parts need to come off of? i'm trying to make sure that I get all the information before I just go out there and guess. And what about the e-brake cable? Does that need to be exchanged for a different one? and the proportion valve? I've read numerous of things about people changing that out as well, never in regards to bigger brakes, just them saying that it needs to be changed.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

arms off a 92-95 ex sedan or 94-01 integra i know for a fact. Others may apply.

I used the cx prop valve for a while. Switched to a 40/40 prop valve, made no difference in braking or pedal feel. That came from a bigger master cylinder. I used a 90-91 ex sedan master and that is what made the difference. Its bigger and direct bolt on.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So basically, I'll need to buy trailing arms for a 94 Integra, 94 Integra rear disc, 94 Integra e-brake cable, 94 Integra MC/brake booster, and a 92-95 Civic SI/EG Hatch proportioning valve that uses rear disc? If that's all, I should be okay to start piecing it together. What about the spindle? Will I still use the same one I have now?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update on progress hopefully tonight. trying to get thing situated. nothing major upgraded, just a few things fixed to help run like new.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice rescue! I'm in for this one.

Quick Reply: My first EG hatch build.