Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My first car,my first Honda help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first car,my first Honda help

Hey everybody I'm Wilhelm and I love in Southern California and I am sixteen years old . I want a sporty car and thought about it for some time and I would think that a Civic would be a good choice for a daily driver and a sporty car with good gas mileage along with reliability. I've been looking at the 1999-2000 Honda Civic SI. Thats what I would like to buy. But i'm also thinking maybe it would be cheaper to just buy a plain civic coupe and bring it up to and past the SI and possible cheaper but I'm not sure. I would really like everybody's help on all of this opinions advice and everything.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: My first car,my first Honda help (WILHELM)

si is cheap enough now that buying a civic and swapping will cost the same amout... go with less work and start oem in my opinion. the best thing a swap can get you is lower insurance (i have a b16 but pay for a d16), and maybe a lil bit of a sleeper cause ppl wont know you ex has a b or whatever. welcome to hondas and invest in a good alarm system first.... i got my rims and lip kit jacked last night.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My first car,my first Honda help (93egB16A)

its an addiction... hondas are a lot of fun. Dont expect to have a badass car right off the bat either. modifying cars is not cheap.

civic = reliable first car. i say go for it.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you don't get hardcore security stuff you car will be gone before you can blink...

I heard this once "owning a type R is like a dream, you wake up and its gone." ans the "SI" stands for Stolen Indefinatly
Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: My first car,my first Honda help (93egB16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egB16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">si is cheap enough now that buying a civic and swapping will cost the same amout... go with less work and start oem in my opinion. the best thing a swap can get you is lower insurance (i have a b16 but pay for a d16), and maybe a lil bit of a sleeper cause ppl wont know you ex has a b or whatever. welcome to hondas and invest in a good alarm system first.... i got my rims and lip kit jacked last night. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thanks I"ll just save up for a SI then. I'm really sorry about your kit getting jacked last night man thats gotta suck.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (pythoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pythoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you don't get hardcore security stuff you car will be gone before you can blink...

I heard this once "owning a type R is like a dream, you wake up and its gone." ans the "SI" stands for Stolen Indefinatly</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't get it. It seems Hondas are extremly high on the stolen list of cars these days. Other sporty car owners are not nearly worried about there car's being stolen or maybe I'm not aware of it but wow and thanks for the advice.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondas are usually easy targets, and theres quite a few of them out there on the road. Even if you have security chances are someone will take a look at it and think its an easy steal.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: (WILHELM)

Just start with the SI atleast u already have the b16 in there and then just build it up or boost it and then put a freakin alarm/ kill switch or watever security device you can put it there since your in freakin cali.. my car just got stolen this morning so ye it suks... but ye IMO just start with the SI
Old 10-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (Mr.EGo)

hahaha you could also put a dog inside your car for security lolz
Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me be the first to point out something:

Civics are not sporty. No way, no how.

Doesn't matter what you do, how fast it can go, how much horsepower it has ....

It's not sporty. It's a compact economy car.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me be the first to point out something:

Civics are not sporty. No way, no how.

Doesn't matter what you do, how fast it can go, how much horsepower it has ....

It's not sporty. It's a compact economy car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I have read it s a Sport Compact.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:01 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WILHELM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I have read it s a Sport Compact.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A Civic Si qualifies as a "Sport Compact" .... barely. Any other model is a Economy Compact.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: (solbrothers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solbrothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IF IT AINT A K20, YOU WASTIN' YO MONEY </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is a K20? An engine?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:03 PM

I've been looking at buying this SI.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/...=true
Old 10-14-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: (TinyRaskalGangsta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TinyRaskalGangsta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're ******* stupid.

if u get an si you'd probably rice it out with some gayass altezza lights and a body kit</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I do not plan on turning it into "Rice".
Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: (TinyRaskalGangsta)

Uh yea, i kind of agree with trg boy above me, yet not in such a harsh manner. Along with your first car, your going to have the urge to add things that are otherwise known as useless. These useless items = rice [for the most part].

As for the Si your looking at, its already modified. Be careful with those. Check for any grinding / unprofessional work. Check the Kelly Blue Book value too. Could save you money just by checking.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANYTHING. IT WILL HELP:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm

good luck
Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: (seanyboy)

SI is the way to go
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (seanyboy)

First of all, "sporty" is an adjective which means "flashy or showy"(according to dictionary.com) So basically sporty is an opinion. If you think the car looks sporty, then you have the right to call it sporty. Just as if you believed a car looked trashy, you could call it trashy. With that out of the way, heres some real advice:
SI's aren't worth the hype, many say that the b16 feels a lot like a d16 and other than that its just a thief-magnet. Hondas get stolen enough as it is, but the SI is even stolen that much more. But whether or not you get it depends on your plans. Do you plan to go all out on your car? Do you plan to spend big bucks and a lot of time/work? If so, don't get an SI, you might as well start out with a dx/ex and work to what you want and swap to something better than a b16. If you just want a car to throw some rims on and a system and call it a day, then go for the SI...but make sure you spend a good amount of effort in security.

Either way, good luck to you man. I know how it was being 16 and wanting to modify a honda. Just be smart, and play it cool for the first few years of driving while you are still learning...Otherwise you'll end up paying an assload for insurance because you got 2 speeding tickets and you wrecked your first car.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all, "sporty" is an adjective which means "flashy or showy"(according to dictionary.com) So basically sporty is an opinion. If you think the car looks sporty, then you have the right to call it sporty. Just as if you believed a car looked trashy, you could call it trashy. With that out of the way, heres some real advice:
SI's aren't worth the hype, many say that the b16 feels a lot like a d16 and other than that its just a thief-magnet. Hondas get stolen enough as it is, but the SI is even stolen that much more. But whether or not you get it depends on your plans. Do you plan to go all out on your car? Do you plan to spend big bucks and a lot of time/work? If so, don't get an SI, you might as well start out with a dx/ex and work to what you want and swap to something better than a b16. If you just want a car to throw some rims on and a system and call it a day, then go for the SI...but make sure you spend a good amount of effort in security.

Either way, good luck to you man. I know how it was being 16 and wanting to modify a honda. Just be smart, and play it cool for the first few years of driving while you are still learning...Otherwise you'll end up paying an assload for insurance because you got 2 speeding tickets and you wrecked your first car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good advice got my civic when i was 16, drove it till i got use to it and then swapped it a year later. now im 19 and have an assload of money in it. done goin through my whole drag racing phase and moving on to road racing
Old 10-14-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all, "sporty" is an adjective which means "flashy or showy"(according to dictionary.com) So basically sporty is an opinion. If you think the car looks sporty, then you have the right to call it sporty. Just as if you believed a car looked trashy, you could call it trashy. With that out of the way, heres some real advice:

Either way, good luck to you man. I know how it was being 16 and wanting to modify a honda. Just be smart, and play it cool for the first few years of driving while you are still learning...Otherwise you'll end up paying an assload for insurance because you got 2 speeding tickets and you wrecked your first car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well what I meant by "Sporty" was it had some performance to it. Like fairly good HP for an Inline 4 and 0-60 in 7.4 seconds etc. I don't plan on spending tons of money but I am going to spend money on it. Also I am going to try to install the parts myself with some help of my father who is a mechanic. Maybe a twin turbo brakes exhaust and what ever else will help speed along with keeping the reliably and gas mileage from declining. Now that I have learned that Civic's are so high on the to steal list I am going to put effort time and money into security. I looked at the other Civic Trims out there from 99-00 and there just economy cars not a Sport Compact. The SI seems to be the performance trim. Thanks for your advice sir.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WILHELM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well what I meant by "Sporty" was it had some performance to it. Like fairly good HP for an Inline 4 and 0-60 in 7.4 seconds etc. I don't plan on spending tons of money but I am going to spend money on it. Also I am going to try to install the parts myself with some help of my father who is a mechanic. Maybe a twin turbo brakes exhaust and what ever else will help speed along with keeping the reliably and gas mileage from declining. Now that I have learned that Civic's are so high on the to steal list I am going to put effort time and money into security. I looked at the other Civic Trims out there from 99-00 and there just economy cars not a Sport Compact. The SI seems to be the performance trim. Thanks for your advice sir. </TD></TR></TABLE>

all u need is 1 turbo

i was the same way as u r now wit the whole si or ex/dx. but i went wit a dx coupe because i found one cheap and i paid 3g for it. then bought the gsr motor, gsr front and rear brakes, etc. and i ended up spending around 8-9k including car(about the same price as an si i think). the only thing i dont like about dx is the fact they dont have power windows....im lazy
Old 10-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BigChina)

I would say start out with the better model. Which is the Civic Si. Pay the extra cost because its well worth it. Its like me paying for a DX hatch when i could have gotten the better model for the same price. And not to mention I had to upgrade alot of the parts (i.e disc brakes, motor, etc.) and by the time I did all that, the price was more than the Civic Si hatch when i could have just gotten the better model. Save yourself the hassle in the long run, get the better model and be happy.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: (hmtcrxsir)

I am 16, and just purchased a 2000 si back in July. I had a 93 accord before I bought the si and the si is definatly the better choice, even though the accord had really comfortable seats, and the si seats are poop.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That SI you posted is GROSSLY overpriced... I paid 14000 for my BRAND NEW ford focus with 0 miles, not 78000 miles...

Buy a BASIC civic, Save up some money, and enjoy the small or non-existant car payment.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dasfinc)

i say thats a fair price coming from a dealer. if you buy from private ownerr it will be alot cheaper and you can negotiate the price a bit more

Quick Reply: My first car,my first Honda help