Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My First Car I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Car I need advice

Hello, I am currently living in New York City. I am going to buy a 1996 Honda Civic 3/door DX. I am buying it from my older brother so descent price. Now the reason that I am here is because I want to learn about now modifing the car well not yet that is. But to maintain it and keep it in working shape. So far I know that I am going to have to change a few things. New York City roadways are treacherous. I even asked my brother to pick it up an inch. (Florida roadways are great I might add) but suspension wise any one have any idea what I should do. Well this is my first question for now I hope that anyone has any advice feel free to add on or email me at ilnybx@msn.com
Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My First Car I need advice (bronxdrpapi)

How many miles are on the car (motor/body)? How treacherous are the roads in NY? Are we talking about huge pot holes that can really mess up your car? If they are as bad as you are describing i would probably go with some nice coilovers so that you can adjust the ride height based on your surroundings. No sense in spending the money for some springs that give you a 1.7/1.8 drop only to realize that you bottom out often. If the engine has a lot of miles it might be beneficial to due the normal timing belt/water pump replacement. If i had a new/used car to work on all over again i would take some time to thoroughly think out what my plans were and ask myself how much money i really want to spend. GL with your new car
Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My First Car I need advice (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many miles are on the car (motor/body)? How treacherous are the roads in NY? Are we talking about huge pot holes that can really mess up your car? If they are as bad as you are describing i would probably go with some nice coilovers so that you can adjust the ride height based on your surroundings. No sense in spending the money for some springs that give you a 1.7/1.8 drop only to realize that you bottom out often. If the engine has a lot of miles it might be beneficial to due the normal timing belt/water pump replacement. If i had a new/used car to work on all over again i would take some time to thoroughly think out what my plans were and ask myself how much money i really want to spend. GL with your new car </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the engine has more than 100k miles, replace the timing belt. For suspension wize...if you spend the money some good coilovers will make you more than happy. Keep the oil changed 3 months 3k miles, always check your fluids, and the car will last forever.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: My First Car I need advice (95ProjectEJ1)

Well depending on some places they are always "fixing" pipelines and underground water according to them bastards they just make the roads unbearable to drive on. So far I under stand about the coilcovers. The car is actually stock my brother never like body modifications it has 74K in miles. It is reasonable right? The only fear that I have if bottoming out all the time with the pot holes.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would agree with the suggestion of some good coilovers to adjust your ride height to accomodate the City Streets. If potholes are a concern (and they are in many cities) I would suggest staying with stock rims, or keeping to 15 inchers.

I may suggest against a lip if bottoming out is a serious problem, or if you really want one sooner or later, go for polyurethane.

On a sidenote, power folding mirrors may be in order if you are concerned about them being taken off by passing traffic while you're parked.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: My First Car I need advice (BlackoutVTi)

That is a nice i Idea yet i have never heard of polyurethane Lips before do they also make that material for other parts of the car...?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Alright now I have another question I know that the car is stock only that it has GSR rims and a pioneer mp3 receiver. I only plan to make minor upgrades. Now a few things that I have been wondering is about exhaust here in NYC there is a lot of noise now the last thing that I want is to add to it. A lot of cars have these mufflers that are so loud and irritating to here at times now it produce the same noise? And what would I have to do to avoid it completely? Now if I was to change things like the mufflers would the wound be different since my car is a standard?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as mufflers go I would just roll that thing stock until you decided what you want to do with the car. If you do a swap and go with larger piping an ES tuning muffler with 2-2.5" pipe and a resonator will sound very nice and not too loud. If you ever went turbo, you could upgrade your piping as well, but in terms of mufflers for turbo cars im not familiar with any or what their db ratings are. Stock is the way to go until you fully convince yourself on what you want to do. Just my advice
Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Wow I just found out that my new car that I am going to get is a 2000 Honda Civic Si so I don't know much but is there any difference because I have been looking for things that go for a 1996 civic dx so is there any thing different.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bronxdrpapi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow I just found out that my new car that I am going to get is a 2000 Honda Civic Si so I don't know much but is there any difference because I have been looking for things that go for a 1996 civic dx so is there any thing different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Score one for this kid. You were going to get an 96 Hatch and you are in all reality getting a 00 SI (EM1)? Nice! Yeah there is a lot of stuff that is different. Roll that bish the way it is. The 15's(rims) on there are nice and it has a lip on it already. Just get some coilovers if it doesnt have them already and you are good to go. Take care of that car. GJ

Edit: Security, Security, Security! Get an alarm on that ASAP if it doesnt already have one
Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that sure changes a lot man.
If you are, in fact, getting an EM1 (99-00 civic si), put more security into it than you could dream of. They get stolen like nothing. This will get you started:
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/index.html &lt;--old
http://causeforalarm.thecarthi....html &lt;--new
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do anything to it. I hang around NYC a lot, if it's not stolen, it'll be broken into, and no, it doesn't matter where you park it.

Leave it stock and use it as a beater or if it's "great" condition and you wanna keep it garage it some place and find something else for a beater. Also, if he's got it slammed through the ground like your typical ricer, the roads will own you. Might wanna put the stock suspension back in - maybe sell the aftermarket one for a quick buck.

Be smart, don't be stupid and then bitch when somebody jacks ur car. I've got way too many friends w/ civics in the city who have gotten jacked or at least broken into. ("Why break into a civic? You can break into any car...") - 'Cause the "kids" that drive civics usually have unnecessarily expensive stereo equipment in their car - it's a "steal" (no pun intended...).

So I revert to my 1st statement, if it's "immaculate" and you wanna save it, garage it and hope it doesn't get jacked from there so you can work on it separately, if it's in "okay" shape just leave it stock, put the stock suspension back in, and use it as a beater.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM

Hey I finally managed to get my brother to send me a few pictures from Florida of my 2000 Honda Civic. Anyone has any ideas let me know...

Old 05-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ and ^^
SECURITY! Keep your **** YOUR ****. The more attention you attract, the more likely a thief will spot you. Stay low key and keep the humble satisfaction that you have a nice car. Being your first car, follow the previous advice and also get your first garage (or "secure" parking spot).

Also, don't go crazy. There's definitely a liberating feeling to getting your first car. Don't let that feeling be short-lived by being distracted by it.

Until you do the above, there's no sense in tinkering with cosmetics, or even maintenance. There are a lot of things other than simply driving that involve owning a car. The earlier you realize this, the earlier you can start planning on your new, mobile life.

Re: Lips/Ride Height... Drive carefully on rough roads, and don't lower your vehicle until you move to better roads. No sense in spending $$$ on parts like new lips and wheels/tires only to cause yourself frustration. Your wheels are fine (they're "GSR Blades" from an Integra). There are plenty of people who want them if you don't. There are plenty of people who want them if you do...

Re: Mods... There aren't many things to do to a 00SI (even though it looks like a painted 99-00 DX) as it's already a great vehicle. Regardless of what you're buying, take a full inventory of what you're getting. If your bro's done any mods, note them, and find out if he still has the original parts... KEEP ALL OEM PARTS... That EM1 fetish some people have keep eBay in business (the only thing that *looks* "SI" in the pics is the Grille).

You're on the right path by simply wanting to keep it in great condition. Consistently looking over your car for the little things will keep it running great. It might help to get your Engine Bay cleaned the first time you get it (consider it cost of the car), so that you can identify any leaks or other problems easier.

But the point to stress is that you need to start protecting your baby. You can't be a "part-time" owner of a vehicle, unless you are prepared to be a "former" owner of a vehicle. Start thinking more about OWNING the vehicle instead of Driving or Modding it... You'll be happier for it.

Congrats! Enjoy it and be safe... lucky bastard...
JasonGhostz
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pop the hood and look at the Engine, check the Front and Rear Disc Brakes, and an Anti-Sway Spring in the Rear! We need to see how far your brother is taking you for a ride...

If it's a B16A, and has 10.3" Front Rotors, and has 9.4" Rear Rotors, and a 14m Spring, then we'll let him call it an "SI"... Otherwise, my vote's still with a painted DX.. still a nice first car.

Not trying to knock, just making sure your bro's "bro price" isn't uncalled for...
JasonGhostz
Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My First Car I need advice (JasonGhostz)

not an si... no sunroof...no holes in the headrests.. and why would anyone paint an si silver? yuck
Old 05-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My First Car I need advice (melsers)

nice, i hope everything works out for you, but as stated before, add some descent security to it, and in your case, only small modifications. but remember, thieves will pick up on every little detail to your car, whether it be wheels, lip, or cosmetic changes. unfortunately you musn't have the luxury of a garage and space to work in, but don't let it discourage you. just don't dump you car and buy a k motor