Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My extensive project

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My extensive project

This is my first project car, first honda, and actually the first car i've bought (i drove big trucks before this... huge change) I wanted a project car to work on and found this, which needs alot of work. I started with the body because as you can see from the pics ive linked to it was the worst part. At least it runs with the stock d16z6 in there... at least its vtec. Drastic change from the jacked up GMC Sierra i used to drive and built up. Im new to the forum so any advice you have or ideas for the del sol you guys have id like to know. Id also like to know the things not to do since im new to the whole honda and car thing i dont wanna do anything to get me out of the good graces of the guys at honda-tech cuz so far its been the most useful tool i can find. Thanks for any input. Heres the link to my pics of the progress ive gotten so far http://rides.webshots.com/album/558360089NJfLjI . You can also see my old truck in my album and some of my buddies rides if youd like .
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: My extensive project (tbuck4224)

welcome.

one question: how do you go from a lifted truck to a soon to be riced out sol?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car is pretty ricey for my taste but a delsol is a great platform to start with. but it is on the heavy side for swaps. its nothing a little more power cant solve.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wanna get on honda-tech's good graces? start by ditching the body kit
Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 PM

i would ditch the body kit but theres a few problems... stock parts wont go on cuz i had to custom fab all my mounts and i am pretty unexperienced but fairly mechanically inclined so the only thing that would work is the lightweight fiberglass kits... plus the front bumper has a nice opening for an intercooler, at least thats what i was thinking when i bought it. and from going to a lifted truck to a soon to be riced out sol was the truck looked good but wasnt fun to drive. The del sol is fun to drive and will look good when im done so i get the best of both worlds.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (tbuck4224)

if you think it will then go for it.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: (crispy93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispy93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wanna get on honda-tech's good graces? start by ditching the body kit </TD></TR></TABLE>

Word

Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: (Civic*B16A3*Eg)

Ill tell you one thing. During the build of this car, don't settle for less. If you find yourself saying I want a b18c but the b16a is soo much cheaper, get the b18c. I made that mistake. And don't do ebay ****. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: (Civic*B16A3*Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic*B16A3*Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ill tell you one thing. During the build of this car, don't settle for less. If you find yourself saying I want a b18c but the b16a is soo much cheaper, get the b18c. I made that mistake. And don't do ebay ****. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My extensive project (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">car is pretty ricey for my taste but a delsol is a great platform to start with. but it is on the heavy side for swaps. its nothing a little more power cant solve. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Heavy?

2290lbs isnt heavy unless you want to get a ef Hatch. Those are light...

I must say that the R34 style bumper looks better than that Blitz style crap thats been overplayed since F&F.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: My extensive project (_.Sarge._)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tbuck4224 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would ditch the body kit but theres a few problems... stock parts wont go on cuz i had to custom fab all my mounts and i am pretty unexperienced but fairly mechanically inclined so the only thing that would work is the lightweight fiberglass kits... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Holmes, don't fake the funk in this forum, because people here actually do know what they are talking about. Maybe I misinterpreted that, but My understanding from what you said is that some parts wont fit without the aftermarket bumper?

I've never seen a part that was designed to get in the way of something else, but I guess you found it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tbuck4224 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plus the front bumper has a nice opening for an intercooler, at least thats what i was thinking when i bought it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Opening for an intercooler really doesn't matter, that's all about bling. There will be plenty enough draft under the car to circulate near the intercooler. The difference with a draft on the intercooler is miniscule.

+2 for someone rocking a del sol. Done right I think they are some of the cleanest hondas out there.

Modified by ek forever guy at 10:54 AM 3/28/2007

Modified by ek forever guy at 11:04 AM 3/28/2007
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: My extensive project (ek forever guy)

[QUOTE=ek forever guy]

Holmes, don't fake the funk in this forum, because people here actually do know what they are talking about. Maybe I misinterpreted that, but My understanding from what you said is that some parts wont fit without the aftermarket bumper?

You need to start buying real parts.

I'm pretty sure the parts aren't imaginary. I want to know the defanition between what you calla real part and a fake part.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: My extensive project (Civic*B16A3*Eg)

I mean parts that don't get in the way of any oem componenents. Some crap parts do get in the way of oem components.

Modified by ek forever guy at 11:05 AM 3/28/2007
Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: My extensive project (ek forever guy)

Hey man take it easy. I just didn't understand how he could have parts that aren't real. He should be able to approach the car in whatever way he wants. If he wants to buy parts that will screw with OEM parts then let him. I just thought that you were being a bit harsh to him. This is his first attempt at a build, hell first attempt at a car. He just asking for advice, which you did give him, but I thought it was put harshly.

I'm not starting an argument or anything, just want you to chill a little bit.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Lets get back on topic. I don't like body kits. but if thats what you want then keep it. Especially if the car winds up being a monster. If you pulled up to me with a bodykit, I would automatically assume you got nothing under that hood but a sick intake. I think you understand where I'm going with that. Good luck man.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people with bodykits should stick to the car shows. bodykits aren't meant for performance cars. fiberglass and lightweight should not be put together.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic*B16A3*Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you pulled up to me with a bodykit, I would automatically assume you got nothing under that hood but a sick intake. I think you understand where I'm going with that. Good luck man.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what most of the populace around H-t will agree with. Money spent on aesthetic mods that go the the extreme end of body work and paint often mean less money spent where it matters, function. And if anyone thinks that a car attracts girls you're sadly mistaken, most girls couldn't care less.

Good luck on your project, keep it original, keep it clean.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Another was to stay on good graces of H-t is to use the search engine. Most of the time, questions that are asked have already been asked before. Using the search engine will keep pointless questions to a minimum. But I find asking how to stay on H-t's good graces is the best question I've seen in a long time.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:58 AM

if you get on our good graces, we'll let you keep your car.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My extensive project (MilanoCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MilanoCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you get on our good graces, we'll let you keep your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how can we let him keep his car when its his car? seems retarded
Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MilanoCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you get on our good graces, we'll let you keep your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good way to put it haha
Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Del so done right
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM

What i meant by the oem parts thing is not that the aftermarket gets in the way its that parts like the rear bumper were ripped off with all the mounting brackets making it difficult to work with the heavier oem parts if i bought them to put it on. The aftermarket body parts on the other hand take less fabrication and thinner metal which is easier for me to weld because i dont have too good of a welder to work with. OEM parts other than body parts will still fit perfectly on the car i was just stating that i chose aftermarket because of ease of installation. The sad part with that is these aftermarket parts are the least ricey with the least big fake lips or two ports for a tail pipe even though a del sol only has a single tail pipe (that pisses me off the most when i see it). The hood is being taken off by the way after paint. I bought a oem VIS carbon fiber hood. Im attempting to keep it off the ricey side but it is hard given my circumstances... its a budget build i bought the car for $700 so ill take it lol Thanks for all the advice tho keep it comin i wanna hear more.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (tbuck4224)

The bumper you got itsn't that bad. It flows fairly well with the body.

Yay for the $700 find.

You planning on swapping it? I doubt you got that good of a deal on a car with a motor in any kind of shape.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

everyone post pictures of that delsol..lol

Quick Reply: My extensive project