Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My EK9 Type Rx Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My EK9 Type Rx Build

Owned my EK9 Type Rx for a few weeks now and have had the chance to make a few modifications with many more to come..

WHEN I GOT THE CAR
The car came completely stock, it needed a little TLC there was a bad mark on the bonnet along with stone chips, lots of stone chips on the bumper and lip, there was paint flaking off the front lip and there was a bit on the rear bumper where paint had flicked off. The alloys also needed a refurbish and had paint flicking off. The paint-work in general needed a really good restore, it was faded and wasn't looking its best.

FIRST STEPS
The first thing i did was to fit a set of 12k HID's to the car. Im used to brighter headlights and opted for the 12k's for a change. I think it makes the car look a lot more modern and they are really effective.

Headlights Before

Headlights After - HID's

CLEAN UP STAGE
After this i gave the car a really good clean and then apply paintwork restorer. Jeez did this make a difference! After this i went ahead with applying touch up paint (got the champ white correction pen from honda) to all of the before mentioned areas. also had some spray made up for the wheels. After this the car was polished and waxed. See previous post for the before pics.

NEW CLOSED INDUCTION AND COLD AIR FEED
Next came the removal of the stock air filter and feeds, i was surprised how many bits the stock air filter is made up of and just how heavy it all was. managed to get a cold of a nice carbon fibre closed induction air filter and feed. i decided to locate my feed down the front of the car just behind the bumper, its not blocked by anything and provides a direct cold air feed with little chance of water getting in. Was quite hard work for a rookie but was very happy with the outcome. My engine bay has so much more space now. Result: the car seems a little more responsive and the grunt when i hit vtec is really nice. Not had a chance to give the engine bay a clean yet and i have so much more to do...

Engine bay prior to removal of stock filter

Engine bay post removal of stock filter

All the parts removed - stock filter etc

Cold Air feed fitted

Engine bay now - new air filter fully fitted

Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My EK9 Type Rx Build

even with the paint chips and all I'd still drive it proudly. very nice man, I just think I'd did something different with the cold air intake cause of the fact it will pick up ALOT of water and may make you engine act up if it gets past the filter, but still very nice car and yes i agree the HID's are more modern and they do help out alot. I have 12k's high/low hid's in my EJ8 with stock usdm headlights and love it
Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car looks good but in my opinion, I would have kept everything stock including the air filter. I wouldn't even change the bulbs. Maybe a new paint job or a few touch ups but nothing major. I don't think theres much you can do to it to make it better. Its already a Type R.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The stock airbox made that car look a lot cleaner, but other than that, nice job.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice !! your a lucky guy wish i could have a real one.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice car. but that intake situation is not cool. i hope the rest of your modds dont follow what u just did there. put the stock box back or go buy a real intake. its a type r put the right parts or dont do nothing at all. no offence
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldn't do more than lower it on a good suspension
Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cleannnn hey if u're in europe PM me
i need an H emblem for a EDM grille if u can hook it up PM me
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 PM

looks hell clean man good job. i would remove the tint tho if i were you
Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 PM

btw those HIDs are frickin amazing look hella good. no hassle from the cops?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
Its already a Type R.
^^??
Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have ripped the stock air box out of there as well... But what you put in is pretty terrible. Get a K&N on a chrome pipe. Much better than the CF and flexy-tubing-crap.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the HID's, i got a pair on my EJ6, right now im working on dropping a gsr and manual tranny in.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never seen an intake like that.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Trial User

the intake came at a good price i got the tubing separately as a temp situation until my piping arrives. i personally prefer this type of intake to k&n filters etc, just personal preference i suppose.

mixed reactions on the HIDs some people love them some people really dont.. i dont mind, i opted for 12k's as you dont see them around my area, im from scotland btw :D no hassle off the cops just need to take them out for my MOT.

thanks for the comments though guys, even constructive critisism is welcomed. im modifying the car in a way that i want to see it and drive it. when it comes to selling, it will more than likely go back to stock so may as well enjoy it the way i want to modify :D

UPDATE TIME....
Old 06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Trial User

UPDATE: EDVANCE D1 SPEC WHEEL NUTS ARRIVED
Been waiting for these for 3 weeks now and they finally arrived. Edvance D1 Spec wheel nuts finished in red. Plans are to spray the calipers red next week and possibly re-spray the wheels black with a red lip and red honda badges. Calipers are definitely going red but the wheels ive yet to decide... a few photoshop pics will seal the deal either way.

my NUTS

Before

After

Old 06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont spray those wheels black!!!!!!!!! wtf!!!

and dont paint your calipers red. thats just plain rice, its a type r. leave those things OEM
Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at the seat of your stock honda lugs and the seat of your aftermarket ones. Notice the honda lugs are rounded and your d-1 spec lugs are a cone shape...... Those are the wrong lugs for the honda wheels. Nice car tho!!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mayfly

and dont paint your calipers red. thats just plain rice, its a type r. leave those things OEM
x92939394949403

HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO A TYPE R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't wanna come back to this thread, I have a feeling if i do, you'll have a big aluminum wing and underglow next.

No offense but please do not do any of that gay crap to your car. Please. It's a Type R, leave it be. Put gas in it and drive it.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mayfly

I 100000000000000000000000% agree

If you want black wheels you could sell yours or just buy another set, PLEASE don't ruin CTR wheels, that's worse than people painting SI wheels

And I also agree on leaving your calipers black as it is recognized as a ricer trait that I must admit I did a couple years ago. I have since painted them black again and it looks so much better to me plus i'm not getting criticized for it
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG dude spray the calipers red? how old are you? i dont say bad things to people often on here but i cant watch you destroy that car. honestly i know its your car but get a clue. you have no idea how to mod a car.and ur totally wrong lug nuts will be totally awesome pink in about a month. if ur not gonna buy high end parts just dont buy anything,your buying parts that are wayyyyyy worse and lower quality than whats already there & ur lowering the value of it with everything u do. this thread pisses me off. i cant come back, whats next some neon lights under it? or how bout a bombex kit,an a aluminum wing.ur a fanboy tool
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by go hard jersey
OMG dude spray the calipers red? how old are you? i dont say bad things to people often on here but i cant watch you destroy that car. honestly i know its your car but get a clue. you have no idea how to mod a car.and ur totally wrong lug nuts will be totally awesome pink in about a month. if ur not gonna buy high end parts just dont buy anything,your buying parts that are wayyyyyy worse and lower quality than whats already there & ur lowering the value of it with everything u do. this thread pisses me off. i cant come back, whats next some neon lights under it? or how bout a bombex kit,an a aluminum wing.ur a fanboy tool
I'm with GO HARD on this one...It's a type R...and you are molesting it. Go buy a different trim if you want to chop it up.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suKKaFree
Look at the seat of your stock honda lugs and the seat of your aftermarket ones. Notice the honda lugs are rounded and your d-1 spec lugs are a cone shape...... Those are the wrong lugs for the honda wheels. Nice car tho!!
ditto!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You need acorn style lug nuts, or conversion washers.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-48/%2A%2A%2A-sprint-sw98-16-replica-98spec-jdm-itr-rims-%24570-shipped-%2A%2A%2A-2703722/
Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't mess up those ctr wheels! Just trade em for JDM ones(gunmetal). Also, with the 12k HIDs your going to have less visibility.

Quick Reply: My EK9 Type Rx Build