Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is my ej1 rare? 11.5" front disks and LSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my ej1 rare? 11.5" front disks and LSD

Ok, this is an addition to an earlier thread. I found out that I have an EJ1 (1995 civic ex d16z6). I bought the car in 1997 with 25000 miles on it, it has or "had" a LSD front end. Now its worn out. The car also has 11.5" rotors in the front, which always gives me problems when ordering new rotors for it. It's from Canada and has no factory air. I thought all ex models came with air, but the heater works extremely well. The car also does not pass smog in Cali, and I have replaced the O2 and cat. My Friend works at a dyno shop so for the hell of it we ran a few passes and a/f ratios are within tolerances. The car ran 147whp on the first pass and of course dropped a little after that (intake temp increase). This car is stock from what I know, other than a short ram k&n, 6 puck stage 2 clutch "future turbo plans" and I also balanced the motor "old but good habit from building small block V8's".
Is this odd for this car?
Everything I have read points towards 135hp at the crank on a d16z6.
I know that balancing a s/b V8 will free up about 50hp if done properly "oil windage, all piston within .001" @ TDC, cc the heads ect........"

Could this gain be from the balancing????? I wouldn't think a honda would gain that much. Or does the candian model just come with more power?

Also, this d16 will kill my friend 99 civic si. Well, maybe not kill it, but i can walk away from him in every gear other than 5th. His 5th and my 4th gear seem to be the same ratio "same rpms at 60mph."

Ok, any ideas? Is this odd or rare? Or just to long winded? Sorry, had to give a back ground on the car.
Oh, and I don't live in Cali anymore so the emissions isn't a concern. Just hopefully a piece to the puzzle. And yes I have done a compression leak down test. I think I have checked everything. The car doesn't throw any codes.

please only serious, knowledgeable responses
Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is my ej1 rare? 11.5" front disks and LSD (mahler29)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mahler29 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
this d16 will kill my friend 99 civic si. Well, maybe not kill it, but i can walk away from him in every gear other than 5th. His 5th and my 4th gear seem to be the same ratio "same rpms at 60mph."
</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhhhh no, a b16 would walk all over that thing, and yes ive tested it, personally. unless theres a new cam, some cool pistons and other **** done to the d16 you shouldnt be able to keep up...

damn people and their thinking their d16 can keep up with a b16....i HAVE a mini me and it wont touch my friends EM1

off topic but i got worked up
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is quite odd...i wouldn't think that it would gain that much from balancing. are you sure it has the stock pistons, cam, and doesn't have any headwork or anything? All z6's are the same from what i've seen...and they don't run that good

edit: wow, you beat me to it LOL
Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is my ej1 rare? 11.5" front disks and LSD (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is quite odd...i wouldn't think that it would gain that much from balancing. are you sure it has the stock pistons, cam, and doesn't have any headwork or anything? All z6's are the same from what i've seen...and they don't run that good

edit: wow, you beat me to it LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha it happens...i wonder if my d15 can beat a k20...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: is my ej1 rare? 11.5" front disks and LSD (nix94delsol)

ok, I know it will walk away from his stockb16 and I am not completely sure my d16 is completly stock, but thanks for answering my ????????'s glad you could help
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my ej1 from canada had air.. and it came with a z6 as well..
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 PM

i didn't check part #s or anything and i am not that familliar with honda internals (what stock looks like) but it has aluminuim H rods flat top pistons arp head bolts and it looks like the heads were plolished unless honda have exhaust ports that are close to mirror finish" after cleaning off the carbon for all you smartasses"
The car ideals high for a short period and then low and then high again.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe there is something wrong with the Si? LOL
Old 08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe there is something wrong with the Si? LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah maybe it was missing a plug wire LMAO

that or his muffler bearing was gone...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: (drtysohc)

I thaught the same thing but it isn't the only si I have walked from. Do i have the years right on his si, it is the model that first came out with the si blue and i think the first civic with a b16
Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

call him and get his vin, if anyware in it it has em1 then its an Si
Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mahler29)

when you beat that si was the guy possibly flintstoning it yabba dabba doo
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

wow and to think that just one more cam shaft and an extra cam lobe for exhaust make a car unbeatable. But wait, its still the same displacement and if I have a different cam which would have a higher VE and more scavoging, hum, that would mean, Oh thats right, I would have more displacement.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:08 PM

look, I am not tring to say a SOHC is better, I just had a few questions but, I guess egos get in the way of that.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Confused. You said it pulled 147 at the wheels--that's like 165 flywheel. This engine must've had a pretty hefty internal build.

Yes, the 2nd cam, better head, 10-1 compression, 8000rpm redline, etc... all help the B16A make power easier.

As for the big brakes and LSD--you sure the previous owner didn't install that stuff??? Factory D-series LSD's are pretty damn rare.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ego gets in the way of nothing, especially you trying to feed me b16a3delsol, drtysohc, and whoever else gets to read this sweet thread that your z6 can "walk away" from a b16...maybe it CAN walk away...in the other direction
Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL I love the B16
Old 08-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mahler29 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, this is an addition to an earlier thread. I found out that I have an EJ1 (1995 civic ex d16z6). I bought the car in 1997 with 25000 miles on it, it has or "had" a LSD front end. Now its worn out. The car also has 11.5" rotors in the front, which always gives me problems when ordering new rotors for it. It's from Canada and has no factory air. I thought all ex models came with air, but the heater works extremely well. The car also does not pass smog in Cali, and I have replaced the O2 and cat. My Friend works at a dyno shop so for the hell of it we ran a few passes and a/f ratios are within tolerances. The car ran 147whp on the first pass and of course dropped a little after that (intake temp increase). This car is stock from what I know, other than a short ram k&n, 6 puck stage 2 clutch "future turbo plans" and I also balanced the motor "old but good habit from building small block V8's".
Is this odd for this car?
Everything I have read points towards 135hp at the crank on a d16z6.
I know that balancing a s/b V8 will free up about 50hp if done properly "oil windage, all piston within .001" @ TDC, cc the heads ect........"

Could this gain be from the balancing????? I wouldn't think a honda would gain that much. Or does the candian model just come with more power?

Also, this d16 will kill my friend 99 civic si. Well, maybe not kill it, but i can walk away from him in every gear other than 5th. His 5th and my 4th gear seem to be the same ratio "same rpms at 60mph."

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did anyone actually take the time to read the bolded part of the thread? If you really are making a 147 whp then yes you will pull on a stock SI. Your motor is definetly not stock if it is making that power. The only way you will really be able to tell is if you crack the motor open(not literally crack) and take a peak at the internals.

Also what the hell is an LSD front end? Do you just mean you have LSD?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is my ej1 rare? 11.5" front disks and LSD (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did anyone actually take the time to read the bolded part of the thread? If you really are making a 147 whp then yes you will pull on a stock SI. Your motor is definetly not stock if it is making that power. The only way you will really be able to tell is if you crack the motor open(not literally crack) and take a peak at the internals.

Also what the hell is an LSD front end? Do you just mean you have LSD?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no an lsd front end is a limited speed demon

and its his WHOLE CAR

haha just kiddin, but yeah elaborate on that
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

147whp is not bad at all for a d16...especially since stock b16s make that much if not less. I'd believe that you walk over b16s. 8)
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

11.5'' front rotors usually mean a big brake kit like AEM or similar. The same caliper is used, it is just moved outwards to clamp on the larger rotor.

What gear did your friend do the 147hp pull in? Sounds kinda crazy. Do you have the dyno charts?

A d16z6 has gearing similar to a B16A, but not quite as sweet (low).

Honda OEM LSDs dont wear out. They are of a torsen design. How do you know you have an LSD if it's worn out? Clutch type and viscous type LSDs wear out...so if you have one of those peices of crap in there, it's not stock. They dont work very well for FWD purposes unless you're drag racing. Honda did not offer a single cam LSD. So it would have to be aftermarket.

So basically, your car is not "special" or "rare", it's just a modded civic.
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did anyone actually take the time to read the bolded part of the thread? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Look 3 threads above yours.

As I said, that's a major internal build. Otherwise, I'd be very curious as to how an extra 40 flywheel hp just "showed up."
Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man what's with all you guys? Give the OP a break...he's looking for answers, not you guys to be sarcastic and obnoxious keyboard warriors.

This forum is going down the drain.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah maybe for top end, did you race this "Si" on the interstate?

i apologize but im still having troubles beleiving this
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

if I really wanted to race an economy car, oh, wait thats right I am not tring to brag, race or what ever the hell else you want to call it, it a tiny 4 banger, I have a 05 s600 that make 500bhp and 600ft my civic is simply a damn gocart that I like to play with. I just want find this **** out so maybe future parts for it would be easier to find. So again, get over it, its not a race car. I have excepted this and I just wanted more info on the car but I guess this is going to go no where.

Quick Reply: is my ej1 rare? 11.5" front disks and LSD