Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion!

alright. i've been doing alot of thinking lately. alot of drinking and alot of thinking. alot of thinking why i act the way i do---why i feel the need to have countless sexual encounters...................................oh wait...that's a movie...

j/p---here's the real problem--

I'M BROKE. as much as i'd LOVE to stay sohc and go turbo...i dont think i have the money to do it. living at school is DRAINING my cash flow...and my job doesnt pay me enough. i'm in the process of looking for a new job, actually. i need to make up my mind on what i want to do with my car and stick with it. i need something that's going to be reliable and last me until i'm out of school---at least--and be quick enough that i dont want/need/have to spend more money on it. i just need to do something and be done with it---i cant afford to f-ck around anymore. if i can sell my stereo, screen, z6 head, and misc turbo parts, then save some cash---i think i can get a d16z6 or non-vtec B series. please give me your opinion

a few random questions---

1. how much would i expect to pay for a full b20 swap (minus labor...and i know i need a tranny and an IM so factor this in as well)
2. are d-series and b-series tranny mounts the same? i have a custom tranny mount from my auto -> manual swap...and i NEED to use this mount because of the mount location on my chassis---so if i do a B swap this mount has to work. will it?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion! (g4hatchie)

um...first of all what kind of car is it?

If its an EK definitely go with the B18B...if it is an EG...I'd say do a Z6. Of course, you could also build a custom turbo kit for under a grand like the ones on http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 10-27-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion! (BauleyCivic)

i'm might be paying 1500 for a full jdm b20b swap with gsr tranny and about 60k on both. that's for a full (100%) swap out of a civic.

if you go b20 go JDM b20b or b20z

no USDM b20b weaksauce. the JDM b20b has like 20 more hp, same as b20z
Old 10-27-2003, 10:00 AM
TheAutoboxer

i'm in the same boat my friend, y7, doing a built y8 swap and a t3 turbo... i would suggest you always always stay with your orginal plan. You get the pay off from that first love. You in a big rush ?.. take longer and do it right, only thing that could happen to hold you up is if you where to die.. in that case it does'nt really matter much what engine you run. Do the turbo.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um...first of all what kind of car is it?

If its an EK definitely go with the B18B...if it is an EG...I'd say do a Z6. Of course, you could also build a custom turbo kit for under a grand like the ones on http://www.homemadeturbo.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry guys..i just copied and pasted over from CIVIChatchback.com where everyone pretty much knows me and what i drive---so i forgot to type in the info for H-T

94 Dx hatchback---and i already have the td04 turbo, CX manifold, and z6 head. i'm really really really considering getting rid of some stuff and going b20. you say i get a jdm b20 with EVERYTHING i need to swap it into my EG for 1500? that's not bad at all.

and can anyone answer my question about the motor mount? will a B series tranny bolt up to my custom tranny mount? if it wont---then i have no choice but to either stick with the mini-me or go full d16z6
Old 10-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 10-27-2003, 12:23 PM

if your on a tight budget sohc turbo is definately the way to go. you can get a used long block for around 500. then i bet you could piece up a decent turbo set up for around 1500 if youve got the patience. spend 700 on a used hondata s200 and your faster than that b16 for less money.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion! (jwn7)

SOHC turbo
Old 10-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i know i can do a sohc turbo for quite inexpensive. i have a td04 turbo in EXCELLENT condition, and a CX manifold already...and i payed less than 100 total for both.

i also have the majority of the rest of my kit priced
-custom fuel management / ghettodyne - 50 bux
-FMIC w/ endtanks - 200 bux
-1g dsm bov - ~20-30 bux
-custom DP - ~30 bux
-adapter plate - hella cheap
then i just need the oil lines and piping.

i just need something that i dont have to worry about. i dotn want to have to worry about tuning and everything right now---which is why i'm' starting to think twice about going turbo. i cant afford to blow my motor--from two perspectives

1. money
2. i need my car to get to work--or i dont HAVE money
Old 10-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the majority of people on CHB are telling me to go with my original setup...but i'm also getting alot of mixed votes for everything else. i'm i'm friggin in-decisive. this blows

can anyone answer my question about the motor mounts working? i have a custom tranny mount so my manual transmission will work with the auto-chassis mount location. will this mount work with a b-series or will i need a custom mount? this plays a MAJOR!!! factor in my decision
Old 10-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g4hatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you say i get a jdm b20 with EVERYTHING i need to swap it into my EG for 1500? that's not bad at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't say that YOU could and infact that swap i *might* is really just missing a clutch
that's a pretty good deal. they may go for cheaper here in CA b/c b20's are never legal in our cars
Old 10-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion! (Sketch_hs)

Single cam turbo from me
Old 10-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion! (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Single cam turbo from me </TD></TR></TABLE>\

As from me. Fast, cheap and fun to build!!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

youll never be happy, i said i just wanted to swap in my dohc motor and thats it after a month or two it seemed slow to me, now ive got a new motor going in, you always want more its a bug
Old 10-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my dilemma--i need YOUR opinion! (Ricey McRicerton)

i have a DOHC turbo right now but it is getting boring i need more boost it is a bug like said above next in goes the built motor and a t63

I say go boost man boost is REALLY REALLY fun no power no power WHOA!!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha...nice quote man...i'm getting some interesting responses on CHB as well---one of which is an all-motor SOHC setup that i'm seriously considering.....it should let me reach my goals and spend less money than i would on the boosted setup---and still be more reliable. i dunno...my mind will probably change like 5 more times