Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my del sol project

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my del sol project

I just got a del sol from selling my motorcycle, and am pretty pumped about starting the mods. I'm just wondering if you guys could help me out with some ideas.

first of all i know its probly the worst setup possible but its a 93 del sol S with the d16b7.

so far ive had this about 3 weeks and have done a 2 piece cold air intake, i had a weapon R ram air and added another piece of pipe to it to run down and get some cold air.

i also got a set of enkei 17" rims with tires.

my future ideas....

full exhaust.. not sure if ill do it in parts or all at once but eventually i want to get the whole exhaust done.

ignition...probly a new msd set with an external coil. not sure exactly what to buy tho.

thinkin maybe some water methanol? i dunno yet but its just a thought.

definately turbo.. someday ....im a highschool student so cash is definately a factor. but i was thinkin maybe ebay kit to get started then replace the more crucial parts slowly as i get money.

get it chipped.. anyone know a place near massachusetts i could do that i dont really want to send it out for cali for 3 weeks

also thinkin a harness bar, mostly for rigidity but i may put some harnesses in it someday.

strut bars.. nice and easy pretty cheap 100-150 for an upper

and every little boys dream... nos..

if anyone has any ideas or has done some crap to theirs they had fun with let me know im open to suggestions.... as long as there not sell the stupid thing or somethin stupid like drop a vette engine in it.....thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: my del sol project

ok so idk if this post is even serious, but if it is i dont wanna another ricer on the road,
ok heres what needs to happin, in your own taste,
but first scratch all your future plans right now, ok?
please do this for the community,
second, intake its a good idea, WATCH FOR PUDDLES IN THE ROAD! im not kidding, look up the word hydrolock, and no its not some badass ganja...
second you actually have a d15b7 not d16
please research more on things you want before you buy them, and when you think your done researching, do it some more,
now dont get a an ebay turbo kit, they are a hit n miss type of thing, some are great but most are not,
is your car a five speed?
i had a 94 del sol s, it was my first honda, it was VERY VERY VERY VERY SLOOOOWWW
plz figure out a budget and lookin it a swap, im not gonna tell you to go b series, but they are usually a bit quicker,
idk what a harnees bar is but im thinking you dont need one or want one, lol
17s? they are a lil big in my tatse but its your car,
msd you dont need its a waste of time on a stock motor,
and again water methanol is something for the big boys, not to be a dick but do you know why they use that instead of just pump gas? research it,
how old are you? just wondering..
let us know what you want the car to do, do you want a drag car or auto xer? or what what is your budget? what tools and mechanical abilitys do you have?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ basically..haha.

for one this is real life not fast and furious.
the harness bar is a good idea for rigidity. but to hook actual harness belts too not so much get a cage for that. but no time soon.
find out what you want to do fully til you have every piece picked out and researched.
then indiviudally do projects. like not just strut bars. get that, shocks,springs/coilovers, new bushings, and maybe a camber kit or two. otherwise you'll be taking apart and putting back together pieces 3 or 4 times just for a little part.
17s are huge but it is your car.
google tuning shops in your area. don't get premade like AEM ebay chips...you'll regret it.
swaps are really the only good way to go for fast. B or H are the easiest(but h does take special mounts and not great ground clearance.).
Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey give the OP a bit of credit. Nowhere in the post was there mention of a body kit or a wing (or neons and stickers) so that's a good enough start for me. Though I will agree your list does need some tweaking...

If you want the intake and exhaust stuff, go ahead. You won't make anything but noise, but it's your car. Lose the ignition though. Honda's ignition systems are just fine and most turbo setups don't even need aftermarket support on that front.

When you have the money for real power, go swap or turbo. Don't cheap out on the essentials either, you'll end up spending more money in the long run. You can even spray if you want, though in the end you'll probably just want a turbo. No disrespect for nitrous, but in inexperienced hands it can be bad news. Also, you'll most likely end up wanting more in the long run.

You don't need a chipped ecu/tune until you have a swap with some goodies or forced induction. Won't do you any good on the stocker.

I'd change the rims for some 16's or 15's as well, but you gotta settle for a while sometimes. Definitely think about a good suspension setup so that sol doesn't look and handle like a monster truck.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Trial User

ok so first thanks definately some good recomendations yes i know i went overboard witht the list .. this list is for like from now through college.. so i know i dotn expect to do most of this stuff any time in the near future or even the next year.

yes i agree the rims are a bit big but i needed new tires becouse i was gunna dish out 360 for just new tires on my stock ones, and the new rims and tires were only 40 bucks more. i figure i can probly trade them to someone for 16s later.

thank you for the ignition suggestion it was a friends idea, i just kept it in mind and wanted to see what other people thought.

third IN NO WAY DO I WANT TO BE A RICER.... i hate ricers they look stupid and they almost never actually have any power... im looking if anything into being a sleeper i dont have cash to waste on body kits and wings and anything, so im lookin for power.

the harness bar.. just for rigity i know during cornes and stuff rigidity is important im not gunna get harnesses i was just lookin for support.

ohh yea sorry it is a d15 i just mistyped thats my fault thanks for correcting me..

finally i am looking into a swap i dont have the cash right now but when i have money i will or when this engine dies on me... also its the automatic i know piece of **** but like i said i dint buy it i got it for my bike. i had to take what i could get at the time.. when i do the engine swap im probly gunna get a new tranny and get a manual. again i know alot of money...

the nos and **** was mostly a joke i mean if i could do it i would just couse it would be cool to say i did but its not a serious thing right now. water meth again my friend learned about it in school so i thot id throw it down and get some opinions.

for experience, one of my best friends has 2 full years of tech school auto tech classes, and i have 2 of engineering and design, my uncle owns a body shop and can also do some mechanical stuff.

i think i covered everything and thanks.. again the big stuff water meth nos that kinda crap was just optimistic 2-3 year down the line dreams, not something im actually considering now.

also im looking for about 200 hp.. im not gunna go completely over the top 200-250 and ill be happy, im not gunna say ohh yea i want 500 hp out of it, i know thats completely ridiculous

Last edited by jallen13; 06-10-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jallen13
also im looking for about 200 hp..
Well you could build an N/A B18 or H22 to do around 200whp, but you'll have to spend some money AND more importantly you'll be at about your limit for a daily driver.

I say grab a D16 of your choosing (y8 or z6), build it a little bit if you have the coin, slap a decent turbo setup on it, get it tuned nicely, and call it a day. You'll make 200whp reliably and you can always shoot for more without too much more effort.

You could do an LS motor if you wanted as well.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im thinking ls turbo would cost about the same give or take a couple bills, but youll also get more hp stock for stock, no building of the single cam..
just a suggesttion,
i would type more but i think my dinners burning..
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like the guys have been saying ls turbo or sohc turbo'd not a bad idea.
but for the mean time if your looking for a little bit more power just do
a mini-me swap (vtec head on non vtec block). Also 200whp is a good goal but once you get there youll want more sooner than you think first things first though get rid of the automatic tranny. you could probably find a 5 spd for 150 on craigslists or something and just piece the rest of the things youll need and you wont waste as much as you think for a 5 spd converion. Its a pretty simple job also.