Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my car used to be automatic now its manual... gotta tech question..about wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car used to be automatic now its manual... gotta tech question..about wiring.

ok i bought this car it was an automatic 93 hatch DX model..and the person that done the swap left the old automatic switch thing to tell it what gear its in... well its stuck in park which is what i want it to be stuck in..... ok but.. sometimes when i switch into reverse this sticks and whenever i get ready to turn the car off the switch box thing is stuck in a different gear and wont let me pull the key out unless its in park... so what im asking is... what wires can i short together or splice together to just make a connection to park... so i wont have to fool about movin that lil lever up and down up and down... and get out of doing this no more....heres what it looks like..

this is the bottom part..

this is the top part that i slide...

and then here is what the wiring looks like on the bottom..
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: my car used to be automatic now its manual... gotta tech question..about wiring. (david22ky)

this little switch....is also called the
gear position switch i searched but couldnt find nothing and my haynes book only showed me what it was called but no wiring diagrams
Old 07-18-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Re: my car used to be automatic now its manual... gotta tech question..about wiring. (david22ky)

IN your first picture look at those 2 big black wires that are running to the switch,
you want to cut those away from the swith and connect the ends together. Do you have your reverse lights working properly? If not before you cut the big wires away you can use a test light to find out which 2 wires are used for the reverse lights to work and disconnect them and run the out to your manual trans so your lights will work like they should.

I gained this knowledge from doing a auto to manual conversion on my 88 civic hatch.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: my car used to be automatic now its manual... gotta tech question..about wiring. (schwenk)

ahhh!!! I LOVE YOU... ok well... no my reverse lights DO NOT work... so how would i fix that... im a greenhorn when it comesto everyhting like this so the two big black wires are the ones i should cross over and i can get rid of the BIG bulky gear selector right?
and if u dont care go into my detail on how to wire up my reverse light cause they done work either whenver i put the car in reverse.THANKS For ur help
Old 07-18-2007, 08:30 AM

so i just wanna make sure.. these are the two i should splice together and make it see PARK at all times... right..
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Everything you need to know about auto to manual... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337459
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Re: my car used to be automatic now its manual... gotta tech question..about wiring. (duheeat)

gosh that helped out a bunch!! but theres just one thing i noticed the info u give me was for a 97 civic.. mines a 93.. i jsut went out there and looked and i have the 2 big black wires.. but i dont see the black and blue one....hmmm i dunno lol maybe on my year car all i have to do is just tie the big black ones together and that be that?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 AM

ok i got it... i had to tie the BIG black wires together for the igniton to start the car for it to be in PARK... then i tied the GREEN/WHITE and the BLACK together so it would give me my key back to me...so im good now... wheww lol anyways anyone know how to trace stuff to the reverse light switch... i found out what two wires them was to. so.. and i got to lookin and they said the switch is through my firewall and on my tranny? anyone can help me THANKS a bunch
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM
* B A N N E D *

Yes you need to run two wires from the reverse switch on the tranny through the firewall and wire them to the two reverse wires.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Yea there should be a plug right on the top of your trans thats not used. hook the wires that went to the auto shifter for reverse to the two wires on the trans.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: my car used to be automatic now its manual... gotta tech question..about wiring. (schwenk)

hmm i foudn that plug ur talking about... but... it doesnt seem to be NO USED... the same color wires from the inside are going into the plug so which means its hooked up... maybe just cut off the connector.. and hook to the green wires on the bottom to MAKE SURE it is getting a connection to them.
so ill jsut run me some wires thru the firewall and splice into them green ones... it seems like this would work see check it out.. what do u all think

plus thanks for ALL ur alls help