Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My car is lowered can i get a alinement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is lowered can i get a alinement?

96 hatch with eibach springs everthing else stock, I went to firestone and tuffy but they said they cant do it cause its not factory specs because of a 2 inch drop. I live in michigan jw what shops do you guys get your alinements when ur car is drop???

I need one bad, my H on my steering wheel has to be turn right facing my radio to drive straight on the road. and front tires are going away.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car is lowered can i get a alinement?

if your only lowered two inches and your steering wheel is that crooked i think you have some other issues
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

go somewhere else and if they say anything about being lowered tell them just to worry about the toe and nothing else, if the try to sell you something other than an alignment leave
Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it might be cause of my tires are blad, or axles. But dont really noe thats why i wanna try a alinement frist.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it lowered most likly ur camber is fuxed so before u go to get a alignment going to need camber kit... setting toe will fix ur steering wheel problem but if camber is out going to wear ur tires still... go to a pepboys or mr. tire or ntb if u have either one close by they will align it... make sure u get a copy of ur specs that they align ur car
Old 06-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jdmglen maybe right about other issues but usually an alignment is used as a diagnostic tool to check if a component is bent. to answer your question you can get an alignment but depending on the shop your civic with a 2 inch drop may not clear the ramps. your tires may also make it more difficult. if possible try running 17 inch wheels you can also borrow them just for the alignment. also removing the front bumper will also help out the alignment techs a lot. if you're gonna get an alignment you might wanna look into getting a camber kit it'll save your tires for sure. our honda's are only equipt with toe adjustments and getting your car aligned will not correct your camber without the kit. another biggie is your rear trailing arm bushings! our car's rear trailing arm bushings commonly break especially when lowered, so u may wanna get those replaced or inspected prior to getting your alignment.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh they still wont do it, cause of warranty stuff, ill will try again next time about the toe
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just tell them to set toe at oe spec, noithing more.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95EG2
if it lowered most likly ur camber is fuxed so before u go to get a alignment going to need camber kit... setting toe will fix ur steering wheel problem but if camber is out going to wear ur tires still... go to a pepboys or mr. tire or ntb if u have either one close by they will align it... make sure u get a copy of ur specs that they align ur car

cool ill call them.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by TeamEK
yeh they still wont do it, cause of warranty stuff, ill will try again next time about the toe
What warranty stuff?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Just tell them to set toe at oe spec, noithing more.
if his car is lowered they no way that camber is not screwed up... setting just toe will straighten the steering wheel but camber is going to wear his tires bald
Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fredrocs
jdmglen maybe right about other issues but usually an alignment is used as a diagnostic tool to check if a component is bent. to answer your question you can get an alignment but depending on the shop your civic with a 2 inch drop may not clear the ramps. your tires may also make it more difficult. if possible try running 17 inch wheels you can also borrow them just for the alignment. also removing the front bumper will also help out the alignment techs a lot. if you're gonna get an alignment you might wanna look into getting a camber kit it'll save your tires for sure. our honda's are only equipt with toe adjustments and getting your car aligned will not correct your camber without the kit. another biggie is your rear trailing arm bushings! our car's rear trailing arm bushings commonly break especially when lowered, so u may wanna get those replaced or inspected prior to getting your alignment.

Yeh i have sbc camber kit, it can do camber and caster, they are not on my car yet, and i might buy blox lca.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Master Detailer

Camber and caster? I have never heard of anything being able to adjust caster.
Clock the rta bushings to save them. However, they are most likely shot anyways.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Camber and caster? I have never heard of anything being able to adjust caster.
Clock the rta bushings to save them. However, they are most likely shot anyways.
yeh will i got them on ebay if you wanna check it out,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33581
Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

read this and decide if you still need a chamber kit

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/no-you-do-not-need-camber-kits-2614449/
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by TeamEK
yeh will i got them on ebay if you wanna check it out,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33581
$379, you have got to be freaking kiding me.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You always get new tires before an alignment, BTW. You really just need the toe fixed probably. Unless something is bent or broken.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

umm i dont think i need a Camber kit, only front tires are going bad, and its not camber wear am getting on my tires but the whole tire is wearing out, the back tires are still good.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my car is lowered by 3 - 3.5" and firestone did the alignment on it. i'm on CA though but there should be no difference. I bought their lifetime alignment for 130, it was on promo.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-2 camber is still a good camber, it would not wear your tires a lot you will still have some flex in the side wall. Just like everyone said worry about toe and ask for the spec sheet. I know here in Indiana Big O tires does it, you can try there too if you have it there.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Firestone's lifetime alignment on my civic. It is lowered at least 2 inches on coilovers. I have never had any issues with them aligning the car. In fact, I am even free to modify the suspension any way I see fit and they will align it no questions asked.

I just recently replaced my rear trailing arms in a rear disc swap. Once I test drove the car I took it straight to Firestone and they lined it up great.

The only issue I have ever had is them warning me that there might be some slight rubbing of my bumper as they pull it on to the rack. This was taken care of with a couple of boards on the ramp on the way up.

It sounds like your Firestone is staffed by incompetent people. I would definitely go elsewhere.

As for your suspension, I would expect to have to replace a few things before it gets aligned. Possibly upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends. If your car has been lowered for a while, these can wear out quickly without proper alignment. They will all need to be in working order for an alignment to even be possible.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have the Firestone lifetime alignment plan on my '98 Civic. My car was last aligned when it was lowered about three and a half inches.

Next time I bring it in I'll have to remove my front bumper (it's just easier than removing my giant front lip), but they've never had an issue aligning it.

They usually mention that they can't adjust camber or caster since there's no factory adjustment. A friend of mine says sometimes if you talk to the tech (not the counter monkey) they'll do it anyway.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aright i call them asap, pepboys, mr. tire, ntb, Big O tires, and try a different firestone. Ill let you guys noe if it works out.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Si is lowered about 2 in. as well and I really recommend a camber kit. The stock kit can't compensate for the big negative camber. I bet the inside edges of your tires are pretty worn down on all four corners. As far as your steering wheel not being straight, sounds like a big toe issue. Most shops should be able to straighten it out.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do a lot of alignments, just get the toe set since that is all that is adjustable from the factory on hondas. negative Camber doesn't really wear out the inside of tires as much as people think, unless its really extreme, Look at BMW x5s going down the road, those things are like -3 from the factory and they don't burn up tires

Quick Reply: My car is lowered can i get a alinement?