Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My car just went and died on me...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a car nightmare!...HELP!

This tragic story begins with the simple installation of a cd player... after putting it in it worked fine, after trying it again, no sound came out, after trying AGAIN the cd player wouldn't even turn on...that problem was a blown fuse, we replaced it and it turned on but didn't play still, then it blew the same fuse again...

we gave up, on my way home I noticed my car wasn't feeling right, and when I put it in neutral my oil light and battery light would come on and then my car would just turn off, as if I had stalled it. That was bad enough because it would keep doing that...

however the next day I fixed it by simply replacing that busted fuse. It drove fine, but as soon as I fixed that problem I noticed my speedometer wasn't working, it was stuck at 0 and would randomly shoot up... not to mention my check engine light was now blinking 3 codes, 2 were about my 02 sensor and one was something electrical plus my srs light was on.

that was two days ago, I didn't drive it since then until tonight when I drove it less than a mile to a friend's... Now, after leaving there my lights and anything else in the car (fan, dome lights, etc) are all flashing and flickering light crazy (they would noticably flicker before, but nothing too bad). Not to mention my car had trouble starting just then... so when I got home I wanted to check it out, and as soon as I parked my car...it just turned off on me, I tried to start it up again, but it wouldn't even try to start. I can't even get a dying cough out of it.

I REALLY need to know what the problem is, could the simple blown fuse have started all this crap?! or is it just that my battery is flat dead without any warning? or could the 02 sensor problem have possibly screwed up my car? or is my electrical system just all jacked up for whatever reason? whatever the problem may be I need to know a solution,

I haven't even had my car a year and have only put about 5K miles on it. it's a 97 DX coupe, with about 72K miles on it... I have only added a intake to the engine, and I VERY rarely run my car hard. anyways, any help would be great. THANKS

[Modified by greyson08, 11:17 AM 7/15/2002]
Old 07-15-2002, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car just went and died on me...HELP! (greyson08)

I've heard that if you install an in-dash player wrong on the newer Civic's, the whole sound system won't work.

I've also installed a cd player in my CRX. Once I installed it, the power from my battery instantly went dead. Ended up with a bad cd player, dead battery...had to buy a new one, and I had to replace my alternator.

Just a few of experiences of stereo installation I thought I'd share.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:27 AM
New User

Default Re: a car nightmare!...HELP! (greyson08)

as far as the blown fuses, check for a short or exposed wire on the radio install. As far as your other problems, sounds like a bad alternator to me. I would pull it off and take it down to the local auto parts store, most of them will check it for free.

eric