Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my car has all the stuff for a/c, but has no freon. how do i bring it back to life?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car has all the stuff for a/c, but has no freon. how do i bring it back to life?

my car has all the a/c lines connected, has no gas inside. what steps can i take to bring my a/c back to life? thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my car has all the stuff for a/c, but has no freon. how do i bring it back to life? (91integraLS

Take it to a shop and get it recharged.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Or go to Vatozone and get you a can for less than 20 bucks. Comes with guages and hose.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Este_Cara)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Este_Cara &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or go to Vatozone and get you a can for less than 20 bucks. Comes with guages and hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, you could do this too. I'd rather not **** something up on the a/c though, I'd rather let someone else **** it up.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is true, you could do this too. I'd rather not **** something up on the a/c though, I'd rather let someone else **** it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i thought there was a procedure, like draining the system, have some kind of lubricant circulate and then add freon? i know autozone sells a recharge kit if thats all i need, ill go do that **** right now.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (91integraLSVTEC)

Just so you know, they don't use freon in cars a/c systems anymore......... now it's called r-134 refrigerant. If you go to a shop asking for them to put more freon in your a/c system then you'll look like a dumbass........

PS: Have a shop do it, only costs like 60 bucks........
Old 06-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the AUto Zone recharge kit........brrrrrrrrrrr cold air!!!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91integraLSVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol i thought there was a procedure, like draining the system, have some kind of lubricant circulate and then add freon? i know autozone sells a recharge kit if thats all i need, ill go do that **** right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a procedure, you have to recover all the old refrigerant out, and then add new **** in. They do add a lubricant in with it, I can't think of the name of it right now but they do. Autozone's kit's might have this incorporated with part of their system.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: (******)

pag oil!
how are you going to charge the refig. r134a in the system when the compressor not gona come on? take it to the shop let they do it right. you have to replace the receiver and drier whenever the ac system opened.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:11 AM

If you had the system open or apart it will have moisture in it. It comes from the air. You need to replace the drier (an aluminum canister). The drier contains a dessicant. Dessicants trap moisture. They can only hold a certain amount of moisture before they are saturated. At that point any more moisture in the system is free to circulate. The moisture is water. You can't compress water. Water in the system will kill your compressor. The drier only stops a very small amount of water from circulating. To remove water you need to evacuate the system. That requires a vaccuum pump. You need to pull it down for at least 30 minutes. Water boils at 210 degrees in atmospheric pressure (14.7 psig) As the pressure is lowered the boiling point also is lowered. When you pull it down to almost 0 psig the boiling point is quite low. So the water boils and the vapor is sucked out by the vaccuum.
After you evacuate the system you can recharge it. There will be negative pressure in the system, the can of R134 is under high (positive) pressure so it will be pushed into the system.
AC systems have a low pressure cut off switch. If the charge in the system is low, the pressure is too low and the switch will cut the power to the electric clutch on the compressor. As you charge the system the pressure will build until the switch allows current to flow to the clutch. At that point the compressor will engage and start the cooling cycle. It will probably start during the time you are feeding it the second can.
On my son's HB there is a popoff valve. If you over charge the system it will bleed off the excess refrigerant when the pressure gets too high. Sounds like a pop off valve on a turbo, except it happens when you're sitting at a light.
Anyway... do it right or you may wipe out the most expensive part of the system, the compressor. If the system is fairly old and was open for awhile you may need to flush it. That will clean out the gunk and other crap.
Hope this helps.

BOBH
Old 06-16-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: (allanonjj)

actually "freon" is a Dupont trade name that has been used as a generic name for the refrigerant R-12, R-22 and other refrigerants. R-12 was used in most autos until around 1994, newer autos use 134a
Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bobh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bobh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you had the system open or apart it will have moisture in it. It comes from the air. You need to replace the drier (an aluminum canister). The drier contains a dessicant. Dessicants trap moisture. They can only hold a certain amount of moisture before they are saturated. At that point any more moisture in the system is free to circulate. The moisture is water. You can't compress water. Water in the system will kill your compressor. The drier only stops a very small amount of water from circulating. To remove water you need to evacuate the system. That requires a vaccuum pump. You need to pull it down for at least 30 minutes. Water boils at 210 degrees in atmospheric pressure (14.7 psig) As the pressure is lowered the boiling point also is lowered. When you pull it down to almost 0 psig the boiling point is quite low. So the water boils and the vapor is sucked out by the vaccuum.
After you evacuate the system you can recharge it. There will be negative pressure in the system, the can of R134 is under high (positive) pressure so it will be pushed into the system.
AC systems have a low pressure cut off switch. If the charge in the system is low, the pressure is too low and the switch will cut the power to the electric clutch on the compressor. As you charge the system the pressure will build until the switch allows current to flow to the clutch. At that point the compressor will engage and start the cooling cycle. It will probably start during the time you are feeding it the second can.
On my son's HB there is a popoff valve. If you over charge the system it will bleed off the excess refrigerant when the pressure gets too high. Sounds like a pop off valve on a turbo, except it happens when you're sitting at a light.
Anyway... do it right or you may wipe out the most expensive part of the system, the compressor. If the system is fairly old and was open for awhile you may need to flush it. That will clean out the gunk and other crap.
Hope this helps.

BOBH</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks alot for the break down, this was exactly what i was looking for, its a good thing i didnt do anything to my a/c system i could have fuked it up with the plans i had for it. i'll take it to the shop. thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to thread hijack, but bobh seems like maybe he had worked with a/c systems before or something. I had my a/c system out for ~1 or 1.5 years, then put it back in. Am I going to have to replace the drier, or as Honda calls it the receiver, in order for the bitch to work properly again? Or when they evacuate the system will that remove all moisture and I'll be good to go?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:39 PM

I would replace the drier. You may want to take it to a shop for a flush and evacuate.

I'm a software support guy with a mechanical engineering degree. I hate to pay someone to do things I think I can do. So when my AC died in my truck I started searching for how to fix it. I figure most of the guys on this site are like me (just a little younger). I figured I would pass on a little of what I've learned. I'm still learning stuff from these forums.
I bought a new AC compressor online. After installing it I did the flush and evacuate myself. I rigged up a vaccuum pump using an old compressor from a refrigerator. I flushed the system with odorless mineral spirits. Just don't flush the compressor. Here is a link to the site with instructions for making the vaccuum pump.

http://www.berkut13.com/sucker.htm

I spent about $25 on fittings and a gage. The local rental place wanted $30 to rent one for a day. So I'm $5 ahead and have my own pump (sort of).
Let me know if I can help.

BOBH
Old 06-16-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (bobh)

recharge