Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my car got broken into...lots of damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car got broken into...lots of damage

Yeah, I come out to my car a couple days ago and someone broke into my car while it was in my driveway and was trying to steal my stereo and money. Well, they didn't get the stereo, but they took a dollar from my ash tray ( that was my toll money), and they got pissed and really damaged the interior. First, they destroyed the carpeting, the center console part that holds the shifter and shift boot is destroyed, the stereo head unit is destroyed since he tried prying it off with a screwdriver, and he scratched the hell out of and destroyed my entire dash on the bottom, not to mention, he cut wires from my stereo equipment.

Then, the guy keyed my targa top, and did damage to the edge of the door where he tried prying it open, and he scratched up a good section of my quarter panel with a key. I called out the cops and the guy was wearing gloves, so they didn't get him. Then I called my insurance company and they are saying that I need to take it to some place tomorrow and some people are telling me that the car might be totalled since there is a lot of damage to the inside (nearly every interior panel is going to have to be replaced) and the outside as well. Including labor, this could easily end up resulting in the car getting totalled.

Anyways, it looks like if the car isn't totalled, that I'll get an alarm system in it, and a good one, because my doors were locked and he still got in (and managed to mess up my driver side keyhole in the process, it feels all notchy). But what do you all think? Is my car going to probably be totalled? KBB.com says the car is worth ($2360-$3000 trade in and $3600 private party). So does anyone have an idea as to whether they are just going to say "**** it" and total it or not? That would suck because I have an H22 waiting to go in this car.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: my car got broken into...lots of damage (explosive)

worthless w/o pics....btw sorry to hear bout your car.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:54 PM

Default Re: my car got broken into...lots of damage (O.G triple O.G)

Damn that blows! Sorry 2 hear
Old 09-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Ekay

Default Re: my car got broken into...lots of damage (O.G triple O.G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O.G triple O.G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">worthless w/o pics....btw sorry to hear bout your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

worthless? hes gettin rid of steam... sorry to hear about it bro.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: my car got broken into...lots of damage (AutoEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

worthless? hes gettin rid of steam... sorry to hear about it bro. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Hey, get off his nuts... he is a pciture kind of guy... it is hard for him to read words bigger than 4 letters
Old 09-18-2003, 09:57 PM

Yeah...well...let me put it this way...the following is probably going to have to be definitely replaced:

all carpeting in the car
Pioneer head unit
center console plastics
rear interior panel (the one right below the rear window)
fresh paint on the targa top
fresh paint on the door
dashboard and glove box cover

I also searched online, and the used interior parts (I couldn't find the rear interior part) is going to run me ~$400 alone, the head unit I had was worth ~$200...then there is the other stuff and labor...the more I think about it, and the more I think about the low, low blue book value of my car, the more I think that they are going to total it tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (explosive)

people like that need to be shot
Old 09-18-2003, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: my car got broken into...lots of damage (AutoEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

worthless? hes gettin rid of steam... sorry to hear about it bro. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt you like to see pic as well? everyone loves pic thread. again sorry to hear what happen.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:01 PM

I would post pics...but I have no digital camera. I moved and my brother owns the only digital camera I have ever used and I sure as hell don't have the money for one. So use your imagination and imagine a del Sol that looks like someone went ballistic on the interior.

Thanks for all the kind words guys...it really makes me sad when I see my car like this...I love this car so much.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unlikely that they'll total anything. Your car will live to accept its H22.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:19 PM

Thank God...I really didn't feel like having to go out and buy a hatch (because there would be no way I would have the time to look for another del Sol). I love hatches, but I like the del Sol a lot more for some reason.

I am trying to look at the bright side though...at least I'll get some new interior pieces.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unlikely that they'll total anything. Your car will live to accept its H22.</TD></TR></TABLE>

junkyard parts are much cheaper than dealerships.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:39 PM

"Total" the car? Do american insurance companies have that right? I know my insurance company has to do anything I tell them cause I actually did do alot of damage to my car and they had to fix it.

Being a Del Sol fan, but not an owner, I'd tell you to keep it and with the H22 it'll be a truely great roadster.

As for the thiefs have a look out for high school kids or a junkie, a true car thief would not use a screwdriver or take the time to get frustrated at your car.

Hope you get it fixed and when your car is back to its former beauty with the H22 in, get us some pics

Sorry to hear about this and good luck with the car and most of all I hope they catch the a$$hole who did this
Old 09-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Suxxors.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:58 PM
slo

Default Re: (all stock)

well it shouldnt get totalled seeing as i drive a 95 sol with the same KBB....
and i had some lady side swipe me about 3 months ago,,, runied the fron fender drivers door and rear 1/4 panel they gave me nearly 2700 bucks to fix it
i looked around fron a fender for 125 grenada black&lt; my stock color&gt; a door skin for 200 and a rear 1/4 from a yard for 250.... and after paint &lt;whole car&gt; i still had a little over 1000$ dollars, but heres a tip when the insurance come s to survey it dont tell themn youve reasearched it and you can fix it for said amount just let them cut you a check,, if you thinks its not enouhg take it to a shop and get a qoute and call the insurance and tell them that you need more to fix it........
thay will give you more dont cash the first check tho till you kno its enough........
tris
Old 09-19-2003, 03:35 PM

Well...I went to the place today and they gave me a check for a little bit over a grand, and they gave me a list of places that I can take it to and have all the damage taken care of free of anything coming out of my pocket.

Hopefully they'll let me wait on it until after the swap, because I don't feel like putting new panels in and having them messed up when they're putting the new engine in.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:46 PM
can I haz?

sorry to hear, post up some pics.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (thid92)

who cares if its totalled? Buy it back from the insurance company...take 1/2 of the money and go to a junkyard and replace all of the **** inside the car...then use the other half of the money to buy **** for the H22

EDIT: just saw ur last post...good news
Old 09-19-2003, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

Theives like that are the worst kind. Stealing from you is one thing because atleast they get something out of it. Vandalizing your **** for no reason really makes me mad. I'm about to go park my car somewhere and hide in the bushes with a bat and wait for someone to think about breaking into my car.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:24 PM

You know, I had the same thought...I was considering waiting around my neighborhood at night to see if the person would come back and try to break into someone else's car, but I never got the time, or the guts. For all I know, the guy might be packing some heat, if you know what I mean.

The way I look at it, I'm getting a new dash and interior plastics that are used, but they are telling me that it will be as good or better than what I had, which is pretty fine with me because my interior was in really decent shape. They're not covering the paint, but hopefully I should have the car re-painted and such by the end of december.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about that, hope you catch the bastids
Old 09-20-2003, 08:14 AM

sorry to hear that man.......**** THEIVES!.....good luck in gettin it fixed up
Old 09-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think people who do **** like that should die.