Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my a/c recharge expirience

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my a/c recharge expirience

ok i'll get straight to the point, got a can of 134a and a hose, but duh no gage, so i went and bought a hose with a gauge
connect it, it was at 0 so i connected the can, like 30 seconds into it its in the red zone, so im like o **** and disconnect it but still no cold air, i disconnect the can, bad idea
i put the gauge back on its at 0 again and no cold air coming out,
i went to get another can, found one at walmart, a can with hose attached, and it has a button so you can control what comes out, perfect!

so everytime i press the button the gauge shoots up into the danger zone but when i let go it goes back down, it finally adjusted while holding it to the right level but when there's nothing going in it goes right down to zero

now its at the line between 0 and ok, i wonder if i should add more, but i do have cold air coming in so it might be fine
Old 02-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my a/c recharge expirience (goatboy)

does your compressor even come on? and wut year and model is the car?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:54 AM

96 sedan lx
how do you know if the compressor comes on?

i know i hear something come on when the ac is on, just like a regular ac
i'll try the ac today to see if its still cold
Old 02-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah if you have to much gas in a refrigerant system it can act just like it has no refrigerant in it. I don't work on car refrigerant systems very much but i do work on a lot of ice machines, adn walk in freezers adn coolers and stuff like that. And i have never used one of those small can type charging things so i couldn't tell you anything on that.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my a/c recharge expirience (HCivExoo)

i woudln't waste time with those refill cans, they never work... or they do once in a while, but such a pain in the *** to get it right.

i would go to a AC repair shop.. i know this is HT, and we're all DIY'ers, but when it comes to AC, its a touchy subject. they're technicians, they go to school for this, and since 94, they created R134A, which is fractions of the cost of R12...

i bet to have your system, evacuated, and refilled, you'de be able to skate out for about 60-80 bucks. its worth it.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: my a/c recharge expirience (HCivExoo)

the problem was i was operating the gauge 20 degrees below proper operating temperatures, the gauge worked fine today and i need about half a can more

but what do i do with the other half of the can?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goatboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem was i was operating the gauge 20 degrees below proper operating temperatures, the gauge worked fine today and i need about half a can more

but what do i do with the other half of the can?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Give it to me. My A/C is BONE dry.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i woudln't waste time with those refill cans, they never work... or they do once in a while, but such a pain in the *** to get it right.

i would go to a AC repair shop.. i know this is HT, and we're all DIY'ers, but when it comes to AC, its a touchy subject. they're technicians, they go to school for this, and since 94, they created R134A, which is fractions of the cost of R12...

i bet to have your system, evacuated, and refilled, you'de be able to skate out for about 60-80 bucks. its worth it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, the guys at my local shop wanted $90 to evacuate and refill it just to CHECK for problems. Not even fix em.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my a/c recharge expirience (Built B16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go to a AC repair shop.. i know this is HT, and we're all DIY'ers, but when it comes to AC, its a touchy subject. they're technicians, they go to school for this, and since 94, they created R134A, which is fractions of the cost of R12...

i bet to have your system, evacuated, and refilled, you'de be able to skate out for about 60-80 bucks. its worth it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is bullshit. 90% of the A/C techs at your local shop only had to sit through a 1hr IMACA certification class. The majority of them do not know what they are doing. I'd much rather do it myself.

In my area a basic evac. and recharge runs almost $300. My shop charges $280.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my a/c recharge expirience (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is bullshit. 90% of the A/C techs at your local shop only had to sit through a 1hr IMACA certification class. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll give you that much.. here in socal, the AQMD basicly only requires you to know how to shut valves so you don't leak into the atmosphire. its a joke class.

but any good mechanic, that does AC, will know you might have moisture in the system, and you need to have it evacuated, and sucked down, to give it a complete charge. in your driveway, with cans, your just trying to make it better.

its best to charge freon in a vaccum system. this is what the shop does. and ive seen add's in the paper for AC services for 69.95... look around.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: my a/c recharge expirience (Built B16A)

i agree you need the proper equipment to evacuate the system and to put the right amount of pag oil back in. and on my a/c cert test my instructor gave us the answers.