Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec?

i've only had my honda for about a month, and i was wondering if it is supose to have Vtec. If i push it i'm shifting at like 6800 rpm but i never here Vtec kick in...? 98 ex coupe? shouldn't it be Vtec? how can i check?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (dogbite0291)

not all EK's or hondas for that matter, have vtec. You're not really going to hear it unless you have IHE. On the d series motors you really need a header to hear it, because it has such a small displacement its not as powerful. If you have it, I believe the stock setting is at 5200 rmps. If you know what it looks like, check for a vtec seloniod.

whats your engine code?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (HoNda PriNcess)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoNda PriNcess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not all EK's or hondas for that matter, have vtec. You're not really going to hear it unless you have IHE. On the d series motors you really need a header to hear it..

whats your engine code?</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. my buddy has a 95 si hatch, stock d16 vtec, and i can't really hear his vtec engaging. he claims he can hear it, but maybe he's just used to the single-cam vtec. me, i &lt;3 my dohc vtec
Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (na+b18c_hatch)

if you still have the original motor in your car, then yes you have vtec.

But like the above have stated....d series just arent very serious haha.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually an the SOHC VTEC engines an aftermarket intake is what makes the VTEC more audible, because the SOHC D series VTEc only works on the intake side anyways. A header and/or exhaust will only further drown out the sound.

Anyways if the engine is a D16Y8 (which it should be) then it's a VTEC. Also noteworthy is that those engines don't say "VTEC" on the valvecover like the 94-95 D16Z6 does, so many people think they don't have VTEC.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually an the SOHC VTEC engines an aftermarket intake is what makes the VTEC more audible, because the SOHC D series VTEc only works on the intake side anyways. A header and/or exhaust will only further drown out the sound.

Anyways if the engine is a D16Y8 (which it should be) then it's a VTEC. Also noteworthy is that those engines don't say "VTEC" on the valvecover like the 94-95 D16Z6 does, so many people think they don't have VTEC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point about the intake.. stupid one-cam
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually an the SOHC VTEC engines an aftermarket intake is what makes the VTEC more audible, because the SOHC D series VTEc only works on the intake side anyways. A header and/or exhaust will only further drown out the sound.

Anyways if the engine is a D16Y8 (which it should be) then it's a VTEC. Also noteworthy is that those engines don't say "VTEC" on the valvecover like the 94-95 D16Z6 does, so many people think they don't have VTEC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree. My D series sounded whimpy with an intake, exhaust and no header. Maybe that's just my opinion.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoNda PriNcess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I disagree. My D series sounded whimpy with an intake, exhaust and no header. Maybe that's just my opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can disagree if you like, but that doesn't magically explain away that the D16 VTEC engines only have VTEC on the INTAKE side of the cylinder head.

I mean I guess the placebo affect overrules mechanical fact?

Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can disagree if you like, but that doesn't magically explain away that the D16 VTEC engines only have VTEC on the INTAKE side of the cylinder head.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

OH PLEASE. L A M E. You're gonna bring up the fact that I'm a chick means I don't know what I'm talking about, AND, my opinion holds no water? I really appreciate that !
Old 07-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoNda PriNcess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OH PLEASE. L A M E. You're gonna bring up the fact that I'm a chick means I don't know what I'm talking about, AND, my opinion holds no water? I really appreciate that !</TD></TR></TABLE>

ut oh.. can we please take the man v. woman argument to the equal rights forum
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Former Moderator

OH PLEASE. L A M E. You're gonna bring up the fact that I'm a chick means I don't know what I'm talking about, AND, my opinion holds no water? I really appreciate that !</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha funny! Where did I ever mention that you were a woman? Do you think "placebo" is a sexual term? It has nothing to do with man or woman - it means the "benefits" gained by something is all in your head. Were you thinking placenta or something?

Placebos are pills given to test groups that have literally zero active ingedients, and when they have an actual affect on people it is all in their head. I said that because your header/VTEC cross over thing is all in your head because you want a header to make a difference.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Placebo - 1. Medicine/Medical, Pharmacology. a. a substance having no pharmacological effect but given merely to satisfy a patient who supposes it to be a medicine.

b. a substance having no pharmacological effect but administered as a control in testing experimentally or clinically the efficacy of a biologically active preparation. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like you're the one hung up on being a girl.

I don't care what sex you are - if you are posting stuff that doesn't make sense I'm going to post an argumental reply.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B18C5-EH2 is on point.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tuner Eddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tuner Eddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B18C5-EH2 is on point.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and funny too lol
Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A header will help, even if you don't have a higher lobe for the exhaust side, you're still running more air because of the intake lobe, thereby more exhuast is leaving the engine.

Just saying.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OMGWTFBBQ!)

ex coupes have vtec to hear it on the sohcs just get a cheapy ebay intae and you will here it becouse it gets loud but doesnt do anythin
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gsrturbo-ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrturbo-ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it gets loud but doesnt do anythin</TD></TR></TABLE>

well what do you expect from 95 whp?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec?

Just because you can't hear VTEC doesn't mean it doesn't work or whatever. Even if you can hear your SOHC VTEC it's still going to be slow. Not like hearing it is going to give you 20whp gains. I can't hear my VTEC and I could care less. If I really want to hear it, I'll make the VTEC crossover myself.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (D16SohcVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16SohcVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just because you can't hear VTEC doesn't mean it doesn't work or whatever. Even if you can hear your SOHC VTEC it's still going to be slow. Not like hearing it is going to give you 20whp gains. I can't hear my VTEC and I could care less. If I really want to hear it, I'll make the VTEC crossover myself.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea i know that it dont make a lot of diffrence and the loudness dont mean anythin.
just some people think vtec makes your car super fast
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (na+b18c_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well what do you expect from 95 whp? </TD></TR></TABLE>
theres nothin bad with a sohc i love the sohc perfect for gas milage good for daily and it loves boost
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (gsrturbo-ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrturbo-ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
just some people think vtec makes your car super fast</TD></TR></TABLE>

only if its dohc!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoNda PriNcess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On the d series motors you really need a header to hear it, because it has such a small displacement its not as powerful. If you have it, I believe the stock setting is at 5200 rmps. If you know what it looks like, check for a vtec seloniod.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Displacement has nothing to do with it--the D16 has the same displacement as a B16

Also, isn't the crossover 5000RPM?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (hushypushy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Displacement has nothing to do with it--the D16 has the same displacement as a B16
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that there's only ONE cam!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As everyone has already said, SOHC VTEC isn't really anything to get all excited about.

VTEC isn't going to throw you back in your seat or anything.

With the D16Y8 that you car has, you have to turn off the radio and the a/c and listen very carefully to hear VTEC at all.

And yes, D16Y8s in the US don't come with valve covers that say "VTEC' on them, but that doesn't mean they don't have VTEC.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can disagree if you like, but that doesn't magically explain away that the D16 VTEC engines only have VTEC on the INTAKE side of the cylinder head.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoNda PriNcess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OH PLEASE. L A M E. You're gonna bring up the fact that I'm a chick means I don't know what I'm talking about, AND, my opinion holds no water? I really appreciate that !</TD></TR></TABLE>
Please. He didn't say anything about you being a girl.

Anyway, calm down. It's not like you're the only one here.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (hushypushy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, isn't the crossover 5000RPM?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ej8 crossover is late in the rpm range i think my car was 5800
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec? (gsrturbo-ek)

If it's a EX model it has a VTEC engine, I have a 98 ex and it has a d16y8 SOHC

Vtec I can hear and feel the VTEC at 5500 RPM. Your Vtec is probably not working,

check your vtec solenoid it may be faulty.

Quick Reply: Is my 98 ex supose to be Vtec?