Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my 97 hatch project

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 97 hatch project

So a bunch of you already know, a few weeks ago i picked up a 97 ek hatch shell. So far i'm working on a RHD conversion without swapping the firewalls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOI_pC8NxKU

i'll keep the thread updated as time goes on. Its a weekend project so updates will be slow, and will be full of tech.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my 97 hatch project

has anyone swapped an RSX dash into an EK before? Im sure the dash will mount right in. but has anyone suceeded in swapping the original rsx gauge cluster?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You will fail miserably trying to swap to rhd without changing the firewall...
Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow that clutch pedal is way off for alignment of the other pedals. as he said i dont see this happening without the firewall and i don't see a stock master cylinder fitting unless u use a master cylinder with no diaphragm.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FAIL!!! lol nice try but aint gonna work. If your trying to keep your firewall vin intact just cut around it/below it, been done and the way rhd conversions are being done now because your not tampering with any vins what-so-ever... Save the old dash and dont pull the vin off of it!!! CHP blue vin plate issued to me before, and way worth it if in Cali like me. Legit and a cop can't do **** ever!!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The master cylinder does fit, I've already checked for clearance. And yes the clutch pedal is out of alignment, nothing a torch and a metal brake can't do to bend it back. There's absolutely no reason why this can't be done without swapping the firewall and im going to prove it. And no im not in Cali, im in Rhode island, and if I touch the firewall I have to have it sent to state dot and they will issue a salvage/reconstructed title, and I dont want that. I converted an old mail jeep I had a few years ago rhd to lhd without firewall swapping, and if I can do it on a jeep with having to actually reweld the steering box and create new steering linkages, I can do this where everything is already available.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goodluck with it, not saying you can't do it, but will it be done right and look right? You have a lot of bending to do..
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes there is a lot of bending to do. it will look right when its done, not like you really see the pedals anyway. i already steve has a subframe ready at HMO to ship out, and he's gonna be getting me an EK4 dash in a few weeks hopefully. im gonna try to straighten out the firewall where the clutch mounts so that i dont have to bend the pedals unless its absolutly necessary. but i defiently need the gap between the clutch and brake pedal.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i found a workaround to the bent clutch. since it was angled to the left toward the drivers side of the car, i pulled the pedal and grabbed a nut the same size as the threads, and grinded it down until it was the proper thickness to go between the firewall and the left bolt on the clutch pedal. clutch sits flush with the brake pedal now.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice, sir! I applaud the direction you're taking! Can't wait to see it all finished.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so yesterday i called steve at HMO and hes sending me a steering rack and subframe, should be getting it between the 11th and the 14th, and he has a ek4 coming in on the 14th and ill be ordering the dash from that.

other than that i found a new bumper, hood and core support on ebay, will be about $320 for everything. so ill be getting that once the body work is done and its time for paint.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
ok so yesterday i called steve at HMO and hes sending me a steering rack and subframe, should be getting it between the 11th and the 14th, and he has a ek4 coming in on the 14th and ill be ordering the dash from that.

other than that i found a new bumper, hood and core support on ebay, will be about $320 for everything. so ill be getting that once the body work is done and its time for paint.
I will let you in on my personal experience with aftermarket parts... I bought my 97 hatch that has some front end damage. They bought an ebay core support, ebay hood, ebay fenders, and ebay bumper... To say the least, it fits like GARBAGE and is paper thin material. If your location is right, you live in Licoln, RI. You live RIGHT NEXT DOOR to majestic honda, and they have the best prices you can get on honda parts... So cheap, my dealership wouldn't price match it. You can get a core support for $210, a bumper for $133, a hood for $250, and you wont regret it. i can literally put my knee on my core support and it will bend. My OEM Honda core support is hard as a damn rock and had a hell of a time straightening out a bent tab from shipping.

With that being said, if you're a true enthusiast like me, you will never be satisfied without the best OEM parts. It gets expensive, i know. But I am spending every other paycheck into my front end until it is PERFECT. I already have the core support, my check on Friday is buying a bumper and ctr headlights, and some other odds and ends...
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hyperblu
I will let you in on my personal experience with aftermarket parts... I bought my 97 hatch that has some front end damage. They bought an ebay core support, ebay hood, ebay fenders, and ebay bumper... To say the least, it fits like GARBAGE and is paper thin material. If your location is right, you live in Licoln, RI. You live RIGHT NEXT DOOR to majestic honda, and they have the best prices you can get on honda parts... So cheap, my dealership wouldn't price match it. You can get a core support for $210, a bumper for $133, a hood for $250, and you wont regret it. i can literally put my knee on my core support and it will bend. My OEM Honda core support is hard as a damn rock and had a hell of a time straightening out a bent tab from shipping.

With that being said, if you're a true enthusiast like me, you will never be satisfied without the best OEM parts. It gets expensive, i know. But I am spending every other paycheck into my front end until it is PERFECT. I already have the core support, my check on Friday is buying a bumper and ctr headlights, and some other odds and ends...
yah i live like 10 minutes from there and have bought a lot of parts through them before. ive bought fenders on ebay before and they fit ok. thanks for the advice ill strongly consider majestic for the body parts as well
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also my hatch has a crude 2000 front end swap thats held together with zip ties, so i have to get all the factory clips to make it fit perfect
Old 10-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So is mine, but i can tell that even with the right clips, it wouldnt look right. You get what you pay for and a $64 front bumper w/free shipping and it costs them $40 to ship, you get a $25 bumper... I'm just saying to make the investment and do it right and you wont be disappointed.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

checked the prices and ill defiently be going to majestic. its $200 more total, but it will look better if the parts fit perfectly, and save me more money when i decide to replace the ebay parts with oem parts.

on another note, i have a new video with small updates to the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwgrg3SKNeQ
Old 10-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok today i removed the entire front suspension and subframe, heres 2 how to videos. i find it easier to just video tape myself doing the work and showing how its done, than to take pictures and try and explain what im doing. a picture is worth 1000 words, but a video is priceless, you can see first hand what im doing, and exactly how im doing it. And just like i say in the video.. i do NOT believe in pickle forks for seperating balljoints and tie rod ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTg11RJkTWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNSBJvwz1Sk
Old 10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumppp for a nice guy!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Int3graz
bumppp for a nice guy!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so far i have made blockoff plates for the old master cylinder and clutch cylinder locations from sheetmetal and used clear silicone as a gasket. check it out in my youtube.

plans for this week are consisting of installing the RHD subframe on tuesday, getting most of the suspension back together before friday, and ordering the RHD dash on friday.

check out my youtube for video updates, and please subscribe.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

getting more things test fitted. the stock "doghouse" seems to work, i'll know for sure when the subframe comes in so i can get the final position so i can cut the firewall, weld and seam seal it up. the stock evap canister still fits under the clutch master cylinder, just like the rhd model.

Its amazing what a tape measure and some time will do. everything has been 1 shotted so far, and all the measurements are dead on. off by maybe 1/8" of an inch at the worst.

Can't wait to get the subframe on tuesday, and next friday or the following friday order the EK4 dashboard. this is coming out sweet

Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i'm technically RHD now. I have the RHD rack in, just waiting on my steering joint to come in the mail i ordered last night, and on friday i'll be ordering the rhd dash board. all thats left is to figure out how i'm gonna get the stock heat box to work, and how and where i'm gonna mount the blower motor for it. I'll need to do some duct work behind the dash board for it.

pretty simple, just had to cut a hole for the shaft to go through the firewall, seal it with silicone and bolt it down.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good work...cant wait to see more
Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Am sorry but need more work!!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j1o1r1g1e
Am sorry but need more work!!!!!
obviously it needs more work. Im only working on a budget of $50 a week thank you very much. Why not suggest what needs work on than blatenly saying... Need more work.

Quick Reply: my 97 hatch project