Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 95 Civic CX hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: My 95 Civic CX hatch build

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
...Is that a double plenum intake manifold?
No, it's the LHT modified intake manifold for the Jackson Racing Supercharger.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM
talks to himself

Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read through this, what a turn its taking from being a rust bucket
Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great job on the bodywork, wish i had a nice garage like that i would put in work too !
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
talks to himself

Slow and anything but steady progress...

I received my Head from the machine shop and took the dive and bought a header. I also finally got around to replacing two pieces of my suspension. I tried installing my rear sway bar end links but the bolts were too large. I don't know what's up with that. Preliminary searches have only returned one other person with the same problem and no resolution. I'll search more before posting a question. I also began taping up the block for paint.

Now for pics.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 AM
talks to himself

Tapped off the head last night and FedEx tracking says my universal plug set and engine paint should arrive today. Hopefully I can make some progress tonight. I want to be able to let the paint sit on the engine for at least 24 hours (based on nothing because I don't know much about painting) before I begin reassembling engine.

If you're selling any accessories, let me know what you have. I need a catch can, battery re-locator box, window moldings, and carpet to name a few. Maybe you have something I've forgotten about.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just bout a 95 hatchwith a 96 gsrmotor swapped and im looking to swapped the motor againinto a 93 del sol si, how difficult was the engine swap?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by dr.johnkeyser
i just bout a 95 hatchwith a 96 gsrmotor swapped and im looking to swapped the motor againinto a 93 del sol si, how difficult was the engine swap?
They're basically the same car. I think you already have everything you'll need.

Remove the Motor and Transmission, Axles, Rear Engine Mount, Engine Harness and ECU and install them in the Del Sol. You may have to add some wiring from the ECU to the engine harness connectors. Maybe not since you're already wired for SOHC VTEC because you've got a D16Z6 engine, right?

Search the form for specific questions relating to your swap. Engine swaps of this type are common. If you search, you'll find what you need. I'll start you off with this link: https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/%2A%2A%2Aokay-lets-cut-down-repeated-qs-about-certain-swaps-post-links-here%2A%2A%2A-650230/. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 AM
talks to himself

My Eastwood paint order came in yesterday so I finished preparing my head and block then took it to my Uncle’s house where my dad and I shot it. The color is “Universal Aluminum” and it’s a part of Eastwood’s engine paint line. Application is easy. It’s a 4:1 ratio with its “Activator” (aka hardener). Surfaces were cleaned thoroughly first and prepared with a scuff pad and Eastwood’s “Pre”.

I DID paint the block and the head. My dad just doesn't take pictures. Ever.

I now have parts of my car in three (3) separate houses and a total of six (6) rooms.

Before

During

Head
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
They're basically the same car. I think you already have everything you'll need.

Remove the Motor and Transmission, Axles, Rear Engine Mount, Engine Harness and ECU and install them in the Del Sol. You may have to add some wiring from the ECU to the engine harness connectors. Maybe not since you're already wired for SOHC VTEC because you've got a D16Z6 engine, right?

Search the form for specific questions relating to your swap. Engine swaps of this type are common. If you search, you'll find what you need. I'll start you off with this link: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650230. Good luck!
Del sol shift linkage is different . and only del sol will work with out modfying it
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by canadaek
Del sol shift linkage is different . and only del sol will work with out modfying it
So, he'd need the shift linkage from a B-series Del Sol? The only B-series Del Sol had a B16A3, right? So the transmission side of the shift-linkage for a Y21 transmission is compatible with the S80 transmission that's on a B18C1?

What's the difference? Length?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He needs 93-97 Del Sol VTEC (not Si) shift linkages. Majestic Honda ships them for around $200. Length is the difference. All B-Series transmission have the same mount for the linkages.

BTW...great build...keep it going. I want to see the SC on the engine next!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by B20DelSol
BTW...great build...keep it going. I want to see the SC on the engine next!
Thanks man. Me too.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great build! Inspires me to do as well with mine.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by superbike81
Great build! Inspires me to do as well with mine.
Thanks dude. It's been a journey so far and I've still got quiet a ways to go. The best advice I can give anyone is to have patience.

This weekend's to-do list:
  1. Paint FMIC
  2. Mount FMIC
  3. Assemble Head
  4. Assemble Block
  5. Mount Intake Manifold/Super Charger and other block and head accessories

Because I'll be assembling everything in my basement, I won't be torquing anything down. The purpose is to mock up the engine assembly to make sure I haven't lost anything over the past year. Like I've stated in a previous post, parts for this car are literally strewn all over the place. I need to pull them all into one place and identify what I've lost and what needs to be replaced.

The engine will sit until spring when I can assemble it in the car. I don't have a heated garage so working this winter will be pretty miserable. I'll get a heater if I need to but, I'd rather not. Who knows, maybe the engine assembly will go smoothly and maybe I'll have time to tuck and shave the bay this winter. I doubt it, but a man can dream.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet build bro!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, it's the LHT modified intake manifold for the Jackson Racing Supercharger.
Damn, I almost got excited for a second there. I've been contemplating a double plenum IM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome build buddy. Keep it going and get it finished!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome work man! Quality!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Damn, I almost got excited for a second there. I've been contemplating a double plenum IM.
Aw, come on. You can't still be excited? I'm not sure what a double plenum would do. Actually, I'm not even sure what you're talking about, to be honest... I can't even envision it. You're not talking about a setup that has two throttle bodies, are you?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good so far, good luck with the rest
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM
talks to himself

I haven't gotten much done today. The weather was so nice I decided to wash and wax my daily (6th Gen. Hatch) and my fiance's car. Ended up washing my mom's car, too.

Also, I got sucked into reading about engine systems. I haven't yet figured out 100% of my build. I was/am still relatively uneducated on the evaporator system and the positive crank case ventilation system. So, I've been reading. Scouring the internet with my Helm's manual at my side. It's one thing to buy a **** load of parts and slap them together and it's another thing to understand WHY things go together a certain way and HOW they work. Understanding this helps troubleshoot down the road and limits the number of stupid questions I'll have to post.

For example, in this post: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=102 I ask Honda-Tech what all the crud in my intake runners was from. I never received an answer however I now understand that this is a result of oil vapors from my crankcase and even my valve cover when under heavy load.

The following threads provide an excellent description of the PCV system and why we run Catch Cans.

Thread 1: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/tests-pcv-system-how-honda-intended-697498/
Thread 2: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/official-crankcase-evacuation-thread-turbo-hondas-pcv-catchcan-1199935/
Thread 3: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/official-k-i-s-s-diy-forced-induction-greddy-nrg-cathcan-install-b16-b17-b18-1490117/

Also, I didn't get all of my nuts and bolts back from the machine shop... Nothing major missing. Just a few nuts and bolts for the oil pan.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 AM
talks to himself

Started the mock-up. Here's about where I left off last night.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good job on your civic cant wait to hear more
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aw, come on. You can't still be excited? I'm not sure what a double plenum would do. Actually, I'm not even sure what you're talking about, to be honest... I can't even envision it. You're not talking about a setup that has two throttle bodies, are you?
I almost got excited because I thought you might be able to help me source one

The double plenum manifold is just a thought I occasionally toss around in my head for a ITB/turbo build. Instead of just having one inlet for the charge piping, run two diametrically opposed, allowing for more even airflow into the ITBs. Mathematically, that more even airflow would allow for better throttle response, but it would be one of those things that even the best drivers in the world could never feel.

I just think it would look as **** under the hood.

Quick Reply: My 95 Civic CX hatch build