Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 1995 EX got stolen... [NM]

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 My 1995 EX got stolen... [NM]

So it's back in my possession, missing a few tools, spare tire, speakers that sucked *** and I wanted to replace... The driver's wheel hub is missing a screw and lug nut, and that wheel rattled all the way home really badly.

******** added some oil for me (A bit too much, but it's still got a slow leak), and the dumb **** was too stupid to take the wheels off. I mean he basically did some work on it for me, because I needed to replace that hub anyhow.

Pics!
Name:  tvw3HEa.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  1.86 MB

So the car reeks like beer and **** right now. I'm not sure if it's just the pisswater Budlight or the guy pissed himself or what, but there were about 6 cans of if in there and 1 Budweiser. I chucked most of those before I got in. I also found 2 expired bus passes.

Name:  E6a2eum.jpg
Size:  3.56 MB

When I get there everything seems in order, but the interior is a bit trashier than I left it with most of what was in the trunk in the cabin now.

Name:  1riK0lW.jpg
Size:  3.30 MB

The outside looked mostly fine. Nothing missing, but I noticed some oil splattered on the hood and a center cap for the passenger wheel was busted. Also that he tried to roll down the driver's window all the way, and that popped it off the track (the regulator was for a 4dr, so I think it needs to be switched out).

Name:  VfrKmZE.jpg
Size:  3.46 MB

So I check the trunk and notice the guy went to O'Reillys and bought some oil for me. Not sure if that was before or after he emptied most of the trunk of the lugnuts I had, tire iron, tools, etc. Eventually I found my registration and insurance card in on the floor.

Name:  vKUlCv1.jpg
Size:  1.02 MB

And out of all that I got some shitty CD he left in the trunk for me along with his shades. So now I can look like some dumb cholo with Mi Vida Loca shades.

I'm in Albuquerque, and today my car got stolen on-campus. Around noon is when I left it and by 5 in the afternoon it was gone. I have no clue what happened to it, no information on the suspect, and the security for campus reeeally sucks hard.

Here are the car details:
  • Entire car is white, except...
  • Black front bumper, black hood, black wheels, and black side mirrors
  • Has a dent above the left taillight
  • Has aftermarket headlights
  • Has a sticker on the rear window that says "I *heart* My EJ1.

Right now I've got one cab company aware and looking, campus PD aware, and some other people.

I'm just pissed off. It was my first car. I put a lot of money into it: New wheels, new tires, new windshield, new hood, new bumper, front brakes, rear brakes, transmission fluid change, brake fluid change, two oil changes, I did work on the clutch, I went through 2 oil pans with it, I swapped out the headlights, I redid the bulbs, I put a catalytic converter on it, and on and on and on...

It was still a beater though, so what pisses me off is there's nothing of value in it. As in, that's my security: It's still worthless. I mean, I had two goddamn banana peels on the floor, empty soda bottles everywhere. I still love it though.

And maaaaaan was I really stupid to not put an alarm on that thing immediately after getting it. The first thing I read on here was to do that. Yet here I am now.

If I ever get it back, it's getting a high-dollar alarm on it asap, new lock cylinders, and most definitely a kill switch at a bare minimum. I just never expected it to disappear at a university with a DEDICATED POLICE DEPARTMENT of all places. Seriously! Someone's got their head up their ***.

Last edited by Zeronamous; 09-18-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Got the damn thing back!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: My 1995 EX got stolen... [NM]

Sorry man that sucks. I doubt you do but did you have theft protection ins? I hope it turns up. I hate scumbags. If I lived out there I'd ride with you looking for it. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Grant12978
Sorry man that sucks. I doubt you do but did you have theft protection ins? I hope it turns up. I hate scumbags. If I lived out there I'd ride with you looking for it. Good luck.
Nope! I didn't even know that was a thing until it was too late. Thanks for that though man. I'm in a rough spot right now. Getting **** for sleep on weekdays, working 30 hours, spending AT LEAST 5 more hours a day studying.

My closer friends weren't answering their phones, and I lost most of my other friend's numbers after my last phone broke.

So. Yep. Flying solo on this one. Just trying to keep it together.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post pics on here.. Maybe put up some flyers on campus,with pics of the car

Good luck finding it
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeronamous
II just never expected it to disappear at a university with a DEDICATED POLICE DEPARTMENT of all places.
Bummer. Possible security video available?

Definitely add a car pic to your first post.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:12 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

start browsing cl for your parts.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Damn.....
Old 09-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Bummer. Possible security video available?

Definitely add a car pic to your first post.
Oh yeah, I'll add a bunch now that I got it back.

That's what I was thinking though, but nope! I paid $175 this semester for a goddamn parking permit to a lot that has NO security cameras, and I have a whole other story about the one security guard that I did talk to:

So I left my car at the lot between 11:00AM and 5:30PM. I get back to the lot around 5:30 and start looking. I saw two BMWs side-by-side earlier that day and a black '96 Civic. Normally I park on the same row as a red Corvette, but I didn't see that today. I knew my car was immediately southeast of that Civic, and out further than I usually park. So I head out there and I don't see it. And I keep looking. And it's still not showing up. I'm thinking I MUST be making a mistake. At this point I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed, so I head back over to the bus stop (We take a shuttle from a lot to the university).

Then I see the stupidest sight I have ever seen. Some 19 or 21 year old security guard, driving his cart into a fence he didn't open enough and getting stuck while he's got some 12 year old in it. He backs up and I say, "Uhh... Excuse me." Then he rams the fence again, hops out, opens it up more, and drives through while I'm talking to him.
THEN he backs up and talks to me.

So he says, "Hey, how's it going?" I say, "I think my car got stolen." The little chunky kid he's driving around looks at me surprised. Then he just spurts out the stupidest, cut-and-paste, "I'm incompetent," kind of line: "I'm sorry sir, I haven't seen a vehicle like that leaving the area." Stares at me for a few seconds, then speeds off.

Moron!

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
start browsing cl for your parts.
Way ahead of you. First thing I did on my phone was look up "Civic" in my phone on Craigslist. I was expecting that thing to be in shambles on Ebay within 5 hours of me getting the police report filed.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Damn.....
**** sucks dude! Worst thing is my own lack of preparedness. I was stupid to park in a lot like that and not think anything of it, stupid to not get an alarm, stupid to not change the worn lock cylinders, stupid to not get a Club for the wheel, stupid to not get theft covered on my insurance. Waaay too trusting of the idiots in this city.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Fish Twig

They do the best they can. The permit is only to allow parking on school campus, so that doesn't mean they provide there BEST security ever. Any parking lot is never safe....even my detached isn't safe without my supervision or any way to know if my garage is broken into. TRUE, I can setup a trigger that will notify me by txt message and will require additional funds but my car is old, I keep everything locked up or out of site.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They do the best they can. The permit is only to allow parking on school campus, so that doesn't mean they provide there BEST security ever. Any parking lot is never safe....even my detached isn't safe without my supervision or any way to know if my garage is broken into. TRUE, I can setup a trigger that will notify me by txt message and will require additional funds but my car is old, I keep everything locked up or out of site.
I dunno about that man. I went to another school in the area that's right across the street, and never got my car broken into or stolen over there. I mean it is a smaller campus, but this one I'm at now has 10x the tuition cost of that one, sports teams, and the whole 9 yards.

This is honestly incompetency at it's finest I think.

I mean, we're talking about a university where I need to swipe my ID to get on a treadmill, but not to park my car? Seriously, ya can't make this up.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Out_Brake_You
Would have been better if that car remained missing! Hahahaha.
Jajajajajajajaja, you funny guy.

May look like a POS, but I've invested a lot in it over the few years I've had it. I try to look at it kind of like MCM's Volkswagon they did intentionally badly:

Old 09-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Fish Twig

I dunno why there are some people who do this but they like to make there car look rusty....its a simple chemical mix but geez..........
Old 09-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno why there are some people who do this but they like to make there car look rusty....its a simple chemical mix but geez..........
It's like how good art doesn't necessarily need to be made out of expensive paints and stuff. I've seen people do great work with ballpoint pens or coffee.

It's the same sort of concept of following one theme.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, sucks to hear about your car getting stolen, at least you got it back though.

IMO foot clubs are better then steering wheel clubs. Steering wheels can be cut with a simple hack saw.

Amazon.com: The Club CL606 Brake Lock Vehicle Anti-Theft Device: Automotive Amazon.com: The Club CL606 Brake Lock Vehicle Anti-Theft Device: Automotive
Old 09-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NRG quick release with a lock hub will defenitely cut down on the joy rider thieves.

EDIT: Or you could just pull the injector fuse, which is what I do every single day, religiously.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you got it back but you gotta at least get that interior clean. It was bad before with trash but now that it's been violated I hope you swap in some clean junkyard parts and make it nice.

Security I would do a fuel cutoff switch for sure. I saw one hidden under the shift boot on YouTube that was really stealth and cheap. Also check auto zones and whatever parts stores are near you for alarm window stickers. They sell them loose. Then once you know what those look like buy something different on eBay I have adt alarm stickers on my house and nobody robbed it yet. There is no perfect solution but those will definitely be a great start and should cost under 10$ not bad for piece of mind.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you got your car back! Thanks for posting this too. I learned a bit from reading it. When I first saw the title of your post I imagined some immaculate project car. I never would have thought anyone would steal my 1994 Civic! It has not been insured for years and I go to a lot of dangerous locations. Now that I have been putting a lot of work into it, and having read your post, I am going to get moving to put in a kill switch at least!
Old 09-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zeronamous
Jajajajajajajaja, you funny guy.

May look like a POS, but I've invested a lot in it over the few years I've had it. I try to look at it kind of like MCM's Volkswagon they did intentionally badly:

That car has personality!
Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Wow, sucks to hear about your car getting stolen, at least you got it back though.

IMO foot clubs are better then steering wheel clubs. Steering wheels can be cut with a simple hack saw.

Amazon.com: The Club CL606 Brake Lock Vehicle Anti-Theft Device: Automotive
Just put in an order for a foot club on amazon. Thanks.

Originally Posted by White_EG1
NRG quick release with a lock hub will defenitely cut down on the joy rider thieves.

EDIT: Or you could just pull the injector fuse, which is what I do every single day, religiously.
I might do an aftermarket steering wheel later on, but it always bothered me that they never have airbags. I mean most of them are tough, so I imagine my face smashing into them at like 80mph would make your injuries a taaad bit worse.

Is the injector fuse under the hood? I was thinking about a kill switch possibly, but I don't really trust my electrical skills with that kind of thing.

Originally Posted by Grant12978
Glad you got it back but you gotta at least get that interior clean. It was bad before with trash but now that it's been violated I hope you swap in some clean junkyard parts and make it nice.

Security I would do a fuel cutoff switch for sure. I saw one hidden under the shift boot on YouTube that was really stealth and cheap. Also check auto zones and whatever parts stores are near you for alarm window stickers. They sell them loose. Then once you know what those look like buy something different on eBay I have adt alarm stickers on my house and nobody robbed it yet. There is no perfect solution but those will definitely be a great start and should cost under 10$ not bad for piece of mind.
Oh yeah! Here I was thinking, "I got garbage on the floor in this thing, my speakers are ****, my stereo doesn't work, I'm missing a lot of interior parts... Who's gonna steal my car?"

Well, now we know!

I was thinking about a kill switch, but I'd really need to do a bit more homework for that kind of thing. Right now I'm bogged down with my just getting my wheel hub fixed. I'll be doing my cardio on back-and-forth trips to the local AutoZone for all the tools I need and forget every time I get a bolt off.

Originally Posted by civiclady
Glad you got your car back! Thanks for posting this too. I learned a bit from reading it. When I first saw the title of your post I imagined some immaculate project car. I never would have thought anyone would steal my 1994 Civic! It has not been insured for years and I go to a lot of dangerous locations. Now that I have been putting a lot of work into it, and having read your post, I am going to get moving to put in a kill switch at least!
Good idea to go with that. If you don't have any kind of insurance for your car getting stolen, I'd look into that as well.

I'd really like to get a more secure stereo setup. The guy ended up taking my speakers even though they don't work for ****. Jokes on him I guess. Now I can see what size I need, and know how easily any I get in the future can be taken.

I have a buddy who parked his '95 civic around a bad area of town here, and had his stolen. Mine didn't even work, so the both of us just jammed our phones in the ash trays and let Pandora or something play.