Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mugen parts question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen parts question

I searched, but only found opinions on other short throw shifters.

My stock feels way too loose, so I figured I'd throw a shirt throw if I'm already replacing. I found a deal on eBay for a set of Mugen short throw shifter, shifter ****, and oil cap... all for 24.99 + 19.99 shipping.

Here is the link

Is the Mugen stuff good?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mugen parts question (wagonis)

It's not real mugen, and I never knew that mugen maid short shifters.

Anything real mugen will cost like 20 times more then that. Don't buy it, you will either be scamed or that **** will be the biggest waste of money ever.

The reason why your stock shifter sucks is because the bushings went to ****. Replace them and tighten everything up. Stock shifter is not that bad anyways, you can throw some synchro crushing shifts.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mugen parts question (ABK)

ABK is correct, mugen are usually high dollar products, unless it used, or knockoff... becareful for fake stuff...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Mugen parts question (JDMFreak)

So replace bushing with factory ones and be done with it? Cool, that's easy enough.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats all fake **** bud...

mugen neve made a short throw, or that style of shift ****, and that oil cap is most definitely not mugen.

mugen parts across the board is like 2times what you think is a fair price to pay..

for example:

you want a nice shift **** you figure 40 bucks is a decent price to pay for one.. mugen costs about 70+

and dont even think about getting 1st gen mugen stuff...very hard unless you have someone in japan looking out for you. i am lucky do to a hook up in japan. so if theres any 1st gen **** floating around i will probably end up with it.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wagonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So replace bushing with factory ones and be done with it? Cool, that's easy enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

either factory bushing is fine or buy energy suspension bushing kit...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">either factory bushing is fine or buy energy suspension bushing kit...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which am I better off with?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would use aftermarket becuz it make out of urothane (spelling) and the stock bushing are rubber...if im correct aftermarket last longer...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:56 AM

One last thing about this... I found a B&M shifter on eBay for $40.00 with free shipping, and from past experience, B&M has not let me down, but that was with my old Camaro shifter. What do you think about slapping a B&M on there? I'd guess the cost between the bushings and the B&M shifter would be about the same.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B&M is a good brand, i've heard a lot of good reviews on there products, and from experience it is a good shifter!
Old 01-17-2005, 01:20 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Double check those parts at http://www.kingmotorsports.com because usually real Mugen stuff is REALLY expensive. I'm not even sure they make a short throw shifter. A lot of people make fakes.

Mugen (pronounced Moogen) = Overpriced JDM Hype. Most people know this, so don't just buy it for the name.

Imagine spending $5000 dollars for intake, header, exhaust, and the special body parts to clear those things, and making less horse power than stock. This was Mugens 2004 S2000 demo car for the US...
Old 01-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wagonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My stock feels way too loose, so I figured I'd throw a shirt throw if I'm already replacing.
Is the Mugen stuff good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The B&M is a good choice... The Mugen Style Ebay one I know nothing about, other than its not Genuin Mugen...

Also check the bushing in your shiter housing it might be worn out.

Mugen stuff is good if you can afford it, there isn't a lot of folks using Genuine Mugen due to its high price, but there is a lot of fake "Mugen Style" stuff around.

per King Motorsports:

Notice Regarding Counterfeit Mugen Products on eBay

Recently there has been a significant increase in the number of counterfeit Mugen products listed on eBay. We are currently working with Mugen and eBay to stop these auctions and prevent this from happening in the future.

Each day we receive several phone calls from individuals who have purchased “Mugen†products through eBay and question the authenticity. Unfortunately we are not in a position to validate authenticity nor can we guarantee products listed on eBay are authentic.

Any “newâ€, unused, items listed on eBay are likely counterfeit. Mugen uses a value-added network of dealers to distribute their products.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (DelSolSiR)

Thanks guys, i'll stay away from the fake Mugen $hit, and probably go with the B&M. I never dealt with Mugen, as this is my first import anyway, but I've heard of Mugen, and I thought this may have sounded a bit cheap, but figured I'd check first to confirm.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's not real mugen, and I never knew that mugen maid short shifters.

Anything real mugen will cost like 20 times more then that. Don't buy it, you will either be scamed or that **** will be the biggest waste of money ever.

The reason why your stock shifter sucks is because the bushings went to ****. Replace them and tighten everything up. Stock shifter is not that bad anyways, you can throw some synchro crushing shifts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree that it most likely isn't real Mugen. But isn't that highly illegal - to use a credible name for fraudulent reasons?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:09 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mugen parts question (Jonzo)

yeah this is gay how they try to do this **** on ebay.
I don't know much about B&M, love skunk2 shifters. Get utherane bushing kit for your shifter, should be three bushings. It's way stiffer and better, prolly cheaper too. I don't think it lasts as long as rubber though but it's worth it.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:20 PM

Mugen doesnt make short shifters. That is a total knock off. I got a knock off short shifter off ebay and it worked great though. Also I would suggest in buying aftermarket bushings. that will help out a lot and they are cheap also.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:21 PM

I agree...

Mugen on ebay

BTW... I believe the most common reason why your shifter feels so loose is the bushings... I recommend Enery Suspension bushings to give you a more stiff feeling. And if you wanted to upgrade your shifter while you're at it... Yeah I say the B&M is a good choice..
Old 01-17-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Mugen parts question (JHU EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JHU EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree...

Mugen on ebay

BTW... I believe the most common reason why your shifter feels so loose is the bushings... I recommend Enery Suspension bushings to give you a more stiff feeling. And if you wanted to upgrade your shifter while you're at it... Yeah I say the B&M is a good choice.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Energy Suspension + B&M Shifter + Skunk 2 Shift **** = Great Combination A+
Old 01-18-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Mugen parts question (H22siCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">either factory bushing is fine or buy energy suspension bushing kit...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone got a part number for these? I checked the Energy Suspension website, but could not find the bushing kit.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B&M Shifter PN# 45074 Comes with the new bushing/housing:

Energy Suspension: 1988-00 Manual Transmission Shifter Stabilizer Bushing Set PN 16.1102

Honda OEM PN:

#7 - 54109-SA7-000 DUST SEAL A, CHANGE LEVER
#8 - 54110-SH3-003 SEAT, CHANGE LEVER BALL
#11 - 54115-SR2-000 DUST SEAL B, CHANGE

Old 01-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks authentic

*giggle*
Old 01-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93CX)

nothing beats oem fitment.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 AM

Thanks DelSolSiR, I appreciate that. Now I have something to do on the weekend.

One more thing... straight shifter? or dual bend?