Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MSD EXPERTS i need your thoughts on the internal board..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD EXPERTS i need your thoughts on the internal board..

ok i bought a msd box off ebay. i got it and it doesnt work. i read the ebay add again and it said this box was working fine and came out of a wrecked car. i opened the box up and there was a broken DIODE inside. i desolderd the diode off the board and got the part number off of it. every place in america has discontinued this part. and i even called MSD and they wont sell it to me at all. they said they have it but its not for sale haha thats fucked up.

i found a couple of places out of the country that have the part but they wont sell it to me unless i buy 500 units!!!!! my friend works at a semi condutor supplier and crossed referenced the part and we found a replacement for it but the problem is its rated at 100 volts less than the old one. the original part number is BYR29F/700 and the replacement is BYR29F/600.

does anyone in here have any thoughts on this. what i am really scared of is if the part fails at some point in time while im driving especiall in higher RPM. since im boosting what kind of damage would happen from ignition failure? detonation? blown motor?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MSD EXPERTS i need your thoughts on the internal board.. (nextelbuddy)

i think it would be a matter of the ignition just not working at all if it were to fail.
as much as it sucks,i would contact MSD again and see how much they'd charge to fix it.if it costs more than you're willing to pay,and you absolutely can not source the part anywhere else,you may just have to sell it on Ebay for whatever you can get back out of it and put it towards a new unit.
those fockers have always been dicks to me-when i called them in '97 to get help on installing a 6AL,they pretty much just laughed their asses off that i was putting it on a Honder,and told me they couldn't help me.now they matket "sport compact" specific ignition systems that aren't even any different from their cheaper regular systems.
chris
Old 02-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD EXPERTS i need your thoughts on the internal board.. (TeamNextGenChris)

they will not fix the msd 6A unit. since i have already desoldered the broken diode off the board they will not touch it they said. does anyone know what kind of engine damage will happen if i have ingnition failure because the msd 6a box suddenly stops working while im boosting?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MSD EXPERTS i need your thoughts on the internal board.. (nextelbuddy)

if it were to suddenly stop working,the engine will stop running-i think that's the worst case scenario.i don't see any damage occurring.
chris
Old 02-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD EXPERTS i need your thoughts on the internal board.. (TeamNextGenChris)

thanx for your help. i just want to get some more opinions in here

anyone???
Old 02-06-2004, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why dont you go by Radio Shack. I would think they might have it?